• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to program a 82S100/PLS100?

Ruud

Veteran Member
Hallo allemaal,

I received some new 82S100s so I could program them to be used in a C64. First problem: both my programmers don't support the 82S100 :( I soon found out that there are not many programmers at all that support it.

So the next thought: can I program it myself? I do have an old EPROM programmer with an ISA card that I got for free because the software was missing. So I re-engineered it and wrote my own program. The problem: I haven't any idea what algorithm to use to program the 82S100. The datasheets I found so far aren't that helpful.

Any help is certainly welcome, may thanks in advance!

Update:

A friend pointed me to this: 82S100_1975.pdf. This PDF tells you step by step what to do. Now I have to solve some things like turning 21V into 18V etc.

Notice that the 18V needs to be current limited at 250ma. That is an important part. The other levels are not TTL either. It is not an EPROM, that is why it requires special circuits to program it.
Dwight

I just had a quick glance and I indeed noticed that there are more quirks: 18V, 17V, 10V and 8.5V are needed. I always thought that the 2708 and older dynamic RAMs were weird for needing three different power inputs but this one beats them all with distance.
The 82S100 is used in several Commodore computers like the C64. But there is already a solution where you replace it by a fast EPROM. And using an even more faster FlashRAM makes it only better.

I believe that BP-1200 can program the 82S100/101, and can be had on Ebay for less than $100. Unfortunately, my BP-1200 is in storage, but I checked BPWin with my BP-1600, and it's supported. The BP-1600 supports lower voltage parts than the BP-1200, but since they use the same algorithms, the BP-1200, BP-1400, and BP-1600 supported all the same 5V parts.

Any help is certainly welcome, may thanks in advance!

I am working with a friend on a CBM-700 and on its PLA. My friend can programm the 82S100. Please don't ask me about the programmer.
If you want I can make a contact to my friend.

I just see you come from the Netherlands. We are near Viersen in Germany.

Back