• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is it possible to repair old, cracked LCDs?

falter

Veteran Member
I've noticed if I press on this one while operating it I can see things. Is there anything I could do to sort of, jury rig it to be somewhat usable?

I suppose the odds of finding a replacement would be pretty low huh?

It depends on what it is for. Many lap top manufactures use the same screen bought from the same manufacture. You didn't think Dell makes LCD screens do you. I have an old Dell that I got from a friend that had dropped it. Several columns would only work if you twisted it to the right but then others wouldn't work. I went down to Weird Stuff ( :( no longer in business ) and bought a screen of higher resolution for $15 and all was fine again.
Dwight

It depends on what it is for. Many lap top manufactures use the same screen bought from the same manufacture. You didn't think Dell makes LCD screens do you. I have an old Dell that I got from a friend that had dropped it. Several columns would only work if you twisted it to the right but then others wouldn't work. I went down to Weird Stuff ( :( no longer in business ) and bought a screen of higher resolution for $15 and all was fine again.
Dwight

Well this is an LCD from 1983. I am guessing Xerox/Sunrise acquired something pre-existing. I'm wondering how complicated they are to figure out, and if it would be possible to find a similar 3 line display you could wire up in its place. I just can't find any manufacturer markings.

I got one solitary hit on the part number I found on the PCB.

HITACHI HD44100H - 97-30140-0 - LCD

It's on a Turkish (I think) part site. Doubt if they actually have any. The PCB on mine is fine, I think. I'm wondering what my odds of finding an 80 character, 3 line LCD to swap out would be. I imagine they are tricky to desolder too.

Generally you need to find a parts machine with a good screen and swap them out.

Some of the old oddball sized screens (like that 3 line LCD ) and probably 100% custom and you won't find a replacement part from a different machine.

Even with newer machines even if you find the correct brand and spec LCD you still might have a different OEM style connector in a different spot and some companies like Lenovo will have a programmable chip in the screen that the laptop has to see in order to use that screen.

If it is a LCD with the driver board attached, you stand a chance but if the main board has the LCD controller on it, it may be more difficult. Most of those on separate driver boards were bought as of the shelf units.
Dwight

The LCD has a PCB with a bunch of Hitachi HD44100 LCD drivers on the back. But so far I have not found any 3 line LCDs listed anywhere.. too oddball I guess.

I'm tempted to contact the Turkish company I found that mentioned one.

Back