• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC FD1157C 1.2 MB 5.25 floppy drive repair success!

trondl

This is my first post and was supposed to be a cry for help, but instead I have the solution.
Pardon if it is in the wrong section.

This working drive gave up the ghost this summer with the following symptoms:
The motor would all of a sudden be more noisy, head load solenoid would behave erratically.
Sometimes the solenoid would engage but would still fail to read disks.

VERY long story short:
After probing and recapping the main logic board I found that the index pin on the output would give sporadic pulses that corresponded with the solenoid engaging and disengaging.
The frequency of the pulses though indicated that the motor was indeed going uncontrolled and way too fast.

The solution:
The two SMD caps (4.7 uF and 22uF /25V) on the motor control board was leaky, but in such small quantities that no smell or discoloration was initially detected.
Desoldering them though gave the odour and measurements thereafter.

A good start for 2021!

Yeah, those small tantulum caps are the reason for many failures in 3.5" drives also. They always look good visually
but as you did, dabbing around them with a soldering iron will provide another indication of leakage. They can also dry
up internally and have no leakage whatsover.

Good New Year to you.

Yeah, those small tantulum caps are the reason for many failures in 3.5" drives also. They always look good visually
but as you did, dabbing around them with a soldering iron will provide another indication of leakage. They can also dry
up internally and have no leakage whatsover.

Good New Year to you.
lol ok

Back