• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T5200C inverter repair

vbug

Hi, my old Toshiba T5200C burned today. Disassembled, the issue seems to be on the inverter card. One transistor is burned, and I'm unable to identify it for replacement because the references burned with the component, I only have the first character : J. Could someone please check on its own machine ? Any help welcome ! Thanks.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Hi there, how'd you go with this? I have to crack open my T5200 plasma screen soon - if it has the same board I can let you know the part details.

kerr Hi, sorry I missed your message ! It is in standby for now as I still don't know the burned part details, it would be great if you could give me the references of yours as it I can replace that burner transistor with a new one.

kerr Hi, sorry I missed your message ! It is in standby for now as I still don't know the burned part details, it would be great if you could give me the references of yours as it I can replace that burner transistor with a new one.

Hey vbug unfortunately for you I've got the orange plasma display, not the colour one. Here's a pic of my board but it looks very different to yours - let me know if you want more pics though

1642857153348.png

@kerr Thanks a lot, if possible please send pictures of both sides of that board, and the references of the 4 transistors I can see in the picture, maybe I could find similarities between orange plasma version and color one and deduce the kind of transistor burned on mine (very low probability but better than nothing !).

@kerr @daver2 Ohh thank you so much, yes it is that one, I'll try to replace it now and hope to see that old machine works again! Thanks for your time and your research :)

Bad news : after replacing the burned transistor, the machine doesn't works back :/ the fans and leds turns on for few seconds, then the power cut off (I assume it is a security cut off by the power supply unit). When I turn on with the screen removed, the machine starts normally (at least it seems to do things and after few seconds I got a bip). I checked my transistor fix, it seems correct, contacts are good, no short circuit afaik. But when I try to start the machine with only an external screen, the screen doesn't turns on (but the machine seems to start normally, with the bip after few seconds). Maybe I could try with the external screen adding an ISA graphic card, but that will be for later ! Any advice you could have would be welcome.

It's likely that the transistor died as a result of something else going faulty later on in the electronics.

Now you have replaced the transistor - you are still left with perhaps the fault that caused it to go in the first place.

Dave

Then, after re-checking the transistor I changed, I can say that it is faulty again. I'll re-replace it, just in case I did something wrong in the first place, but as you say @daver2 it could be the result of something else going faulty. I can't see anything else damaged on the card, I checked other transistors, they seems okay. Does someone knows what is under the metallic case in the middle of the card ? Maybe the issue could be on the main PSU of the machine instead of on the screen inverter (seems unlikely to me but who knows !) ?

update : transistor changed again, the screen turned on ! I got a corrupted screen, mostly white with some colored lines, then the screen suddenly turned black, I powered off the machine, removed and put back the screen, now I got same as previously with the power cutoff after few seconds, but I can see a light flash on the screen backlight. My main hypothesis now is a contact issue somewhere, probably on the screen connector or on the cables passing through the hinge.

Curious about the T5200C. I have one but the case is labeled T5200 without the "C" but is indeed color. Were Colors labeled with a on the case?
As far as I know, the T5200C has no markings except maybe underneath. The base unit is identical to the T5200 - only the detachable screen is different (and I believe interchangeable) with the plasma.

T5200 vs T5200C

As far as I know, the T5200C has no markings except maybe underneath. The base unit is identical to the T5200 - only the detachable screen is different (and I believe interchangeable) with the plasma.

T5200 vs T5200C
Thanks. I have the a T5200 body and a T5200C body but the non-C one is much cleaner so I was going to move all the parts to the better body. The C motherboard is bad but I knew the displays were swappable so I tried the C display on the regular T5200 and it worked like a charm. Since both displays are great, I will pack both into the laptop bag and swap as I please.

Back