• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Calibrating a 3.5" floppy drive

hjalfi

Experienced Member
I took out the wrong screw in a NC200 3.5" floppy drive, while trying to figure out how to change the belt, and realised too late that I'd ruined the track alignment.

So I gather that the simplest way to fix this is to place a known good disk in the drive (which I have), continuously run a program which reads all the sector IDs from the disk (which I can write), and adjust the head position by tiny amounts until they all read correctly. However, a 3.5" drive has 0.189mm track spacing, which is very very small. I would need to design and 3D print some kind of lever-based tool to allow me to adjust the position by very small amounts. Even then, operating the drive will be tricky as it doesn't use a standard pinout --- it's a Citizen V1DC-65B laptop drive with a all-in-one flex cable containing power and data, so it would need a breakout board of some description.

Is this something that it's actually feasible to do, or should I just give up now and get a Gotek? (I would much rather stick with really floppies, TBH.) (It might also be possible to find replacement drives with the same pinout but I've had no luck so far.)

Dunno--I work with the 1/3 height (25.4 mm) 3.5" drives a lot and on most, you basically slightly loosen the screws holding the stepper in place and gently rotate it slightly, then tighten the screws back up. Teac drives even have a little tab attached to the stepper body so you can see where you are. I can easily tweak a drive by a quarter-track without too much effort.

Of course, a proper alignment disk helps a lot.

I'm not sure this drive has such an adjustment. The entire head assembly is mounted to the drive chassis by two screws in oval holes --- I loosen the screws and slide the head mechanism backwards and forwards. The motor itself doesn't seem to have any options to adjust it. So, half a track of adjustment means loosening the screws, moving it by 0.1mm and doing them up again. I'll have to double check, though.

Hi Hjalfi,

just saw this thread now. Did you manage in the end?

I'm about to do the same thing (Mitsumi d353f2 in my case) that has the same oval/slide/screws setup.

Back