• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Turn Off AT PSU without unplugging

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Hoping someone has a simple idea for me

My computers are in a fairly tight space and all wired up nicely. There are times however that I need to completely power off a computer (either by unplugging PSU or flipping the power switch on a PSU that has on). Issue is that I have to move things around and then get my arm in behind the machines to do it. Is there an easier way I could do this where maybe I have a switch or something on each machine I could mount in front?

I thought even a switch that allowed you to plug two male ends of power cable into it and switch the connection between on and off would work, but I havent seen anything like that

Thanks!

You can get units that plug into a power outlet that can be controlled by a remote control - or via a smartphone App. Overkill I know - but an option...

I was doing some work at a Church in helping them to upgrade their Audio/Visual system. In their sanctuary they had two powered speakers that were both controlled by a remote control (as they were fairly high up and couldn't be reached and the electrical circuit they were on was a mains ring main that fed a whole load of other sockets).

These are obviously for the UK market https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=remote...827864&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_87j4e2pkul_e but it should give you some idea of what to look for.

EDIT: Here are some funny ones that I can't use (!) https://www.amazon.com/remote-power-socket/s?k=remote+power+socket

Dave

There are times however that I need to completely power off a computer (either by unplugging PSU or flipping the power switch on a PSU that has on). Issue is that I have to move things around and then get my arm in behind the machines to do it. Is there an easier way I could do this where maybe I have a switch or something on each machine I could mount in front?
Are you aware that the power switch on AT does exactly that? Yes, I mean the front switch, not the one on the back. It will completely cut mains power. So unless you mean ATX, I don't get your issue.

I dont want to cut the power on all of them at once, but only 1 at a time if needed....

I have a master disconnect for all the machines, but I'd like to be able to cut power fully to just one.

Search on Amazon/eBay for "Power Center"--some very reasonably-priced stuff that way.

Also, remember the "PC Power Center" units that sat under the monitor, with illuminated switches for each outlet? Maybe you could score one at your local recycler--they used to be common as dirt.

Example

That would actually be perfect........I will have to start searching for one.

Thanks, I completely forgot about those.

As far as the power strip with individual power switches on it, that is a nice idea as well, but I'd have to move the power strip somewhere I could access it easily and try to keep the cable management looking nice. But those are a good idea as well. Thank you for posting them

Are you aware that the power switch on AT does exactly that? Yes, I mean the front switch, not the one on the back. It will completely cut mains power. So unless you mean ATX, I don't get your issue.

Yes, I thought this same thing. The mains power on AT computers is brought to the front power switch. Turning this switch off effectively cuts the mains power from the power supply. If you're looking to guard against high power surges (such as lightning strikes) the only effective method is to unplug completely.

Back