• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 8580-161 Video issue

TechNut

Hey Y'all,
trying to revive an IBM PS/2 8580-161, I have no video out of the VGA port. Is anyone aware if there is a probable failure mode on this machine concerning the on board video?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for your response, I am trying to see what that does as there is no video from the VGA port. Will the CTRL+A run through a video test?

Thank you for your response, I am trying to see what that does as there is no video from the VGA port. Will the CTRL+A run through a video test?

First of all, POST will issue a double beep if any fault is found that it considers will fail normal boot. A single beep indicates no POST errors found. Normally Error Codes are displayed too.

Secondly, are you 100% certain a VGA-capable monitor is firmly connected?

Hmm, diagnostics are tricky without video:
1) Boot RefDisk
2) pause until a "bip" sound indicates it has completed the display of the annoucement screen.
Press and release ENTER/RETURN to proceed to the Main Menu
3) Press CTRL+A and release
4) pause until activity light goes off (CMD.COM loaded and 2 line menu displayed)
5) Press and release ENTER/RETURN (selects 1st menu item - System Checkout. BEWARE 2nd is Format the HD!)
6) long pause until activity light goes off (DIAGS.COM and multiple .DGS files are loaded)
7) Press and release Y after high beep sound (confirms listed diagnostics tests loaded)
8) Press and release ENTER/RETURN (selects 1st menu item - Run tests one time)
9) Press and release DOWN ARROW 7 times then Press and release ENTER/RETURN (selects VGA tests)
10) Press and release ENTER/RETURN (selects 1st menu item - VGA tests)
11) pause at least 5 seconds (detects monitor Mono/Colour type)
12) Press and release Y to confirm monitor type (it then tests RGB intensities and VRAM)
13) pause at least 15 seconds and then if nothing has appeared the VGA is NOT working - CTRL+ALT+Del or power off.

Back