Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

DOS FTP Server testing (You can use your web browser!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOS FTP Server testing (You can use your web browser!)

Hi,

I made some changes in my TCP/IP code to make it behave better when packets are lost and it has to retransmit. The old code used to wait a fixed amount of time before retrying, which was painfully slow on a local connection. The new code is adaptive and should work much better on a wide range of connections.

If you'd like to help me test it I have my 1984 PCjr running the mTCP FTP server with some old computer pictures, some software, and some text files. (I'll add more during the day to keep it interesting.) You can connect by going to the following address:

That URL should work in most browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome). Chrome tends to be a bit of a pig and it tries to preload the content that it finds, so if you see it going slowly it is probably due to multiple connections. The poor PCjr is only setup for 9 simultaneous connections.

If you use an FTP client anonymous FTP should work fine. Note the non-standard control port - 2021. Which also means that if you are using a real FTP client (and not a browser) you should be using PASSIVE mode. (Port mode with a non-standard control port confuses most firewalls, and they won't pick it up. Most browsers use PASSIVE mode by default.)

Uploading is not turned on for this test, but if you are dying to upload contact me and I'll give you the password.

Fun facts:
    • The machine is a PCjr with a jrIDE sidecar, 20GB IDE hard drive, WD8003 ISA Ethernet adapter, NEC V20 CPU, and an IBM PC 5150 keyboard.
    • If you want to see how the TCP/IP code is holding up you can get statistics by using the "SITE STATS" command in a suitable FTP client.
    • This is a DOS machine - you have to use DOS filenames and paths, except for the directory delimiter - that uses the standard forward slash. (Using the DOS backslash was too difficult for most clients and browsers.) Also, if you use MGET remember that you have to use *.* and not just * for a filespec.

Comments and bug reports are welcome. If the bug reports get too long or involved we can do it by email instead.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Just did a test connect using filezilla. Downloaded the ZX81.jpg file, took all of 2 seconds. Everything worked A-ok.

Comment

That's cheating - it's a small file.

The local transfer rate is about 50KB/sec as reported by the client. Across the internet will slow things down slightly, and of course multiple users actively transferring data will really slow things down.

Mike

Comment

Works fine from this Andriod tablet. The Android browser decided to fire up Opera Mobile when I hit the ftp link, and that worked very well. Smooth loading. Started with the readme. I looked at several of the images, including some of the larger ones.

-Tor

Comment

FileZilla leech successful; average transfer rate was around 50KB/s and slowed down (but did not stop or crash) when I was trying to foul it up with directory listings at the same time. That was over a 1MB test, so I'm going again with 12MB.
          Offering a bounty for:
          - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

very impressive!

Comment

It worked very well from Linux ftp and lftp as well as directly from Firefox. No luck from FreeBSD with lftp, and not from DOS either. Here are the messages from the DOS programs:

Code:
              O:\ $ftp 96.42.84.69
              LXFTP 2.5 - HP200LX TCP/IP Suite <http://lxtcp.hplx.net/>
              Type HELP for more information
              looking up '96.42.84.69'...
              connection attempt timed out
              FTP>

D:\COMM\MTCP $ftp 96.42.84.69
              mTCP FTP by M Brutman (mbbrutman@gmail.com) (C)opyright 2008-2012
                Version: May 30 2012

FTP server resolved in 0.00 seconds

Opening control connection to 96.42.84.69:21 with local port 1739
              Connection failed!

Tcp: Sent 1 Rcvd 0 Retrans 2 Seq/Ack errs 0 Dropped 0
              Ip: TcpRcv: 0 UdpRcv: 0 IcmpRcv: 0 Frags: 0 CSumE: 0 ProtE: 0
              Packets: Sent: 4 Rcvd: 1 Dropped: 0 SndErrs: 0 LowFreeBufCount: 19
              Ping works fine from both FreeBSD and DOS boxen.
              WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Comment

Looking good. Just trying a few, err, non-conventional things and found the following (using Firefox 18.0).

After browsing to the SOFTWARE folder I manually inserted a space before the trailing / character. Hit enter and it still all looked OK, but now when I clicked on any sub folder it simply added that folder name to the URL but didn't go to that folder. i.e. the URL currently looks like this:

ftp://96.42.84.69:2021/SOFTWARE /PACKET/

I suppose I was expecting it to throw up something like a 550 file or folder doesn't exist error.

Steve

[Edit]
                Another similar one... after selecting the SOFTWARE folder, add a space before SOFTWARE and hit enter. You are dropped back to the root folder, but the URL still ends with "/ SOFTWARE/". Now selecting a file or sub folder just adds that entries name to the URL. i.e. entering a space and then selecting PS2.GIF from the root just shows the following URL:

ftp://96.42.84.69:2021/ SOFTWARE/PS2.GIF/
                [/Edit]
                Last edited by SteveH; February 17, 2013, 02:52 PM.
                CP/M-86 Software Repository www.cpm86.eolith.co.uk

Comment

Short test with Chrome; no issues, pretty quick all things considered. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
                    It worked very well from Linux ftp and lftp as well as directly from Firefox. No luck from FreeBSD with lftp, and not from DOS either. Here are the messages from the DOS programs:

Code:
                    O:\ $ftp 96.42.84.69
                    LXFTP 2.5 - HP200LX TCP/IP Suite <http://lxtcp.hplx.net/>
                    Type HELP for more information
                    looking up '96.42.84.69'...
                    connection attempt timed out
                    FTP>

D:\COMM\MTCP $ftp 96.42.84.69
                    mTCP FTP by M Brutman (mbbrutman@gmail.com) (C)opyright 2008-2012
                      Version: May 30 2012

FTP server resolved in 0.00 seconds

Opening control connection to 96.42.84.69:21 with local port 1739
                    Connection failed!

Tcp: Sent 1 Rcvd 0 Retrans 2 Seq/Ack errs 0 Dropped 0
                    Ip: TcpRcv: 0 UdpRcv: 0 IcmpRcv: 0 Frags: 0 CSumE: 0 ProtE: 0
                    Packets: Sent: 4 Rcvd: 1 Dropped: 0 SndErrs: 0 LowFreeBufCount: 19
                    Ping works fine from both FreeBSD and DOS boxen.
                    Is there a way to specify the port number in the dos ftp client? It probably tries to connect to standard port 21, while the server is set up with port 2021

Comment

Very nice. I downloaded the /TXTFILEs/TECH directory, which was about 3.2mb. The connection was closed two times during the download, maybe just because of others downloading files. Other than that, all downloaded just fine.
                      ~Ian~

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Ole Juul,

Your screen capture does not show you specifying the port to use, which is 2021. The standard port is 21, but I'm not using that because my ISP blocks it.

The mTCP FTP client can be told to use a non-standard port with the "-port" option:
                        ftp -port 2021 96.42.84.69

Mike

Comment

SteveH,

I can't tell until I look at the logs (or recreate it on another machine) but I suspect that problem has more to do with the way the client encodes the path. Firefox did it for me here too, so it is easy to recreate.

Spaces are not legal in DOS filenames. I'm sure my code is parsing the directory up to the first whitespace character, and then throwing the rest of the command away. Meanwhile, the client is caching the new directory name because it thinks it was successful ...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mbbrutman View Post
                            That's cheating - it's a small file.

The local transfer rate is about 50KB/sec as reported by the client. Across the internet will slow things down slightly, and of course multiple users actively transferring data will really slow things down.

Mike
                            Just giving it an MOC. Didn't want to get in the way of the heavy-hitters that know how to put it through it's hoops.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about breaking it. Getting it featured on Slashdot would just result in a DoS attack on a DOS machine.

(Sorry, could not resist the pun.)

Multiple people hitting it concurrently gives it a good workout. So feel free to click and visit again, and peruse some of the files - I'm adding more to it to keep it interesting.

Right now it is up to 270 visits with 585 files downloaded. TCP/IP on the machine has sent 62495 packets, of which 664 of them were presumed lost and had to be resent. So that is a little over a 1% loss rate, which is good considering the global nature of the Internet and the age of the machine.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X