Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Who's into FORTRAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoctorPepper wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I like languages with lots of
    > built-ins and garbage collection and other wonderful
    > things, but I also believe if that's all you have
    > ever learned, you're a poorer programmer for it.

Fortunately TP isn't like that & rountines can be added -
    obviously though TP offers a quite a few more routines (bit
    like BASIC), though offers just a little bit more C based
    stuff as well!

At least my website offers some routines which demonstrate
    some of the smaller things which aren't usually demonstrated
    in Turbo Pascal 3!
    Generic and Amstrad CPC based Programs written in Turbo Pascal 3

Comment

Man, you truly are a glutton for punishment! Just kidding. I don't know if I'd go that far, to implement complex data structures in assembler (any assembler) at my feeble, elderly age. Perhaps if I were 20 years younger. Make that 25 years younger

Nope, I think C is as "low-level" as I want to get from now on. My days of assembler (8086 assembler) are long gone and mostly forgotten.

Originally posted by carlsson
      I have considered if I would be able to implement e.g. a linked list or a more complex structure in 6502 machine code. I think I could, but yet I haven't had a reason to do it. I did implement QuickSort in machine code a few years ago though, purely as an exercise.
      Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!

Comment

Ah, the joys of Turbo Pascal. I really miss it. Pascal is/was a nice, clean language, easy to build on. I moved from TP to Delphi, and worked in that for quite a while. With the impending demise of Borland's developer tools division, I'm afraid it is probably the curtain call for commercial Delphi and Pascal.

Thank goodness for Free Pascal! At least Pascal won't die out completely.

Makes you wonder though, where would Pascal be now if Microsoft's implementation of Pascal had taken off?

Originally posted by CP/M User
        DoctorPepper wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I like languages with lots of
        > built-ins and garbage collection and other wonderful
        > things, but I also believe if that's all you have
        > ever learned, you're a poorer programmer for it.

Fortunately TP isn't like that & rountines can be added -
        obviously though TP offers a quite a few more routines (bit
        like BASIC), though offers just a little bit more C based
        stuff as well!

At least my website offers some routines which demonstrate
        some of the smaller things which aren't usually demonstrated
        in Turbo Pascal 3!
        Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!

Comment

DoctorPepper wrote:

> Ah, the joys of Turbo Pascal. I really miss it.
          > Pascal is/was a nice, clean language, easy to build
          > on. I moved from TP to Delphi, and worked in that for
          > quite a while. With the impending demise of Borland's
          > developer tools division, I'm afraid it is probably
          > the curtain call for commercial Delphi and Pascal.

Ah the memories. Back in the days when I knew just a little
          bit of Pascal (I learnt some on an Apple Mac) I had to
          translate some Pascal programs into Delphi. Fortunately, I had
          a teacher at my disposal & managed to easily play around with
          Delphi - twas a bit scarey at first. I managed to excel with
          it though - wrote this kick butt calculator - which I later
          enhanced to make it load Bitmap images in the background!

> Thank goodness for Free Pascal! At least Pascal won't
          > die out completely.

Yeah well if it wasn't for Free Pascal it might of been a sad
          death for Pascal - Delphi I guess is there, though only half
          of it's really Pascal.

> Makes you wonder though, where would Pascal be now if
          > Microsoft's implementation of Pascal had taken off?

Fortunately it didn't - Borland were on with a Winner in a way
          - it makes me wonder how far CP/M would have got if Borland
          made later versions for CP/M!

CP/M User.

Comment

Actually, Quicksort of an array with 8-bit numbers was not too hard in 6502 machine code. I even got a response from someone else who had implemented in a completely different way (and perhaps a few cycles more efficient). The same guy had went ahead to implement Shellsort, Mergesort and one more while he was into it.

It all started with some teenager troll/wannabee who had frequented newsgroups for years, posting essays of garbage, pretending to have a lot of interior knowledge and contacts. A few years ago, someone asked for programmers to take on an impossible task, and even collected a fair sum of money (a few hundred $$$) to anyone who could complete the task, which still was impossible to implement given the hardware restrictions. Like money can stretch hardware limitations.

Anyway, this wannabee decided to take on the task, borrowed some development equipment and nothing happened for a long time. Then he comes back, posts random fragments of code he has picked up from various webpages. Yes, it was verified, but he claimed it was his own code and that there were only a limited number of ways to implement certain routines; therefore the code (and comments!) happened to be identical.

At that point, another of the veterans who is good at machine level programming challenged him to something relatively simple: implement Bubblesort in 6502 machine code. The idea was that even a such small example would yield a number of different implementations. Everyone were invited, but to send their code to the maintainer instead of posting publically. In the end, I think we were 10-15 people, if not more, who all implemented Bubblesort in slightly different variations and efficience. Needless to say, the wannabee never finished his implementation, but posted parts of the short routine, full of useless, surplus instructions and wrong assumptions.

I picked up a few of my computer science books on datastructures and algorithms, and went to implement Quicksort. The first attempt failed, but after changing to a different algorithm, I got it working and submitted it as a bonus.
            Anders Carlsson

Comment

carlsson wrote:

> It all started with some teenager troll/wannabee who
              > had frequented newsgroups for years, posting essays
              > of garbage, pretending to have a lot of interior
              > knowledge and contacts. A few years ago, someone
              > asked for programmers to take on an impossible task,
              > and even collected a fair sum of money (a few hundred
              > $$$) to anyone who could complete the task, which
              > still was impossible to implement given the hardware
              > restrictions. Like money can stretch hardware
              > limitations.

> Anyway, this wannabee decided to take on the task,
              > borrowed some development equipment and nothing
              > happened for a long time. Then he comes back, posts
              > random fragments of code he has picked up from
              > various webpages. Yes, it was verified, but he
              > claimed it was his own code and that there were only
              > a limited number of ways to implement certain
              > routines; therefore the code (and comments!) happened
              > to be identical.

Sounds awlfully a lot like myself, there are times when I have
              these ideas for programs or want to addapt something, though
              timely comitments in my other greatest interest - ristricts me
              - even some of my friends are even busier than what I am & get
              swamped down. Wouldn't say I knock off a lot of code - but I
              do a fair deal of interpreting of other peoples code, though
              not alternating it to the point it's slightly something else.

Ironically enough, I also made a Bubblesort program - it was
              based on a BASIC program - though I translated the routine
              into TP - worked just as well. It was funny though, cause a
              lot of Bubblesorting programs relied heavily on later TPs, in
              comparision though, mine worked with Byte numbers I believe!

CP/M User.

Comment

In 1968, I walked into a small room at my college (UC Riverside, CA) and there it was.... a LOVELY IBM-1130 with NO ONE using it. It only had a FORTRAN compiler available so I learned FORTRAN. Remember those puzzles make out of cubes that make a bigger cube (SOMA). I wrote a FORTRAN program where you give it the total shape and it shows you how to solve the puzzle. I got 2 units of an A grade for that program. It would sit there and whir for 5 minutes before the selectric printer would wake up with the first solution. Man, life was great in college, I should have stayed there

Comment

chuckcmagee wrote:

> In 1968, I walked into a small room at my college (UC
                  > Riverside, CA) and there it was.... a LOVELY IBM-1130
                  > with NO ONE using it. It only had a FORTRAN compiler
                  > available so I learned FORTRAN. Remember those
                  > puzzles make out of cubes that make a bigger cube
                  > (SOMA). I wrote a FORTRAN program where you give it
                  > the total shape and it shows you how to solve the
                  > puzzle. I got 2 units of an A grade for that program.
                  > It would sit there and whir for 5 minutes before the
                  > selectric printer would wake up with the first
                  > solution. Man, life was great in college, I should
                  > have stayed there

Great, could you write me one of those Programs which
                  correctly figures out next lotto numbers, please?!?

CP/M User.

Comment

I was just talking to my dad last night, it turns out he took FORTRAN in 1973, which was kind of cool. My mom learned WATFIV, anybody know what that is?

Comment

Originally posted by dreddnott
                      I was just talking to my dad last night, it turns out he took FORTRAN in 1973, which was kind of cool. My mom learned WATFIV, anybody know what that is?
                      WATFIV is FORTRAN. Waterloo FORTRAN IV. Google is your friend!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WATFIV_...mming_language)
                      The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
                      The Vintage Computer

Comment

Erik wrote:

> WATFIV is FORTRAN. Waterloo FORTRAN IV. Google is
                        > your friend!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WATFIV_programming_language)
                        -------------^^^^^^^^^

Or Wikipedia in this case!

Mightn't be completely up to date musical wise - but it's
                        pretty good. Obviously needs some of the finer things added to
                        it.

CP/M User.

Comment

No, Google is my enemy - everybody can know anything now...

Comment

Wikipedia is rapidly becoming my enemy as well, after many yearz as a faithful user. Watch for my soon-to-be-forthcoming rant.

--T
                            Last edited by Terry Yager; August 6, 2006, 07:16 AM.
                            Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

Yeah, an encyclopedia written by the people is a dual edged sword. Often it will end up with actual, helpful information, but in matters of history or as in this case people, it could become ugly. However, I suggest you write your own accurate story, point out the inaccuracies in tabloid press and subsequently Wikipedia. Find help from someone about search engine optimization to make your page the first one to appear on a web search.

Anyway, it is refreshing to see that Wikipedia is about posting stuff that can be verified, not neccessarily the truth. A commercially edited encyclopedia would probably work in the other way around, trying to verify all sources to find the truth and nothing but the truth.
                              Last edited by carlsson; August 2, 2006, 01:54 PM.
                              Anders Carlsson

Comment

carlsson wrote:

> Yeah, an encyclopedia written by the people is a dual
                                > edged sword. Often it will end up with actual,
                                > helpful information, but in matters of history or as
                                > in this case people, it could become ugly. However, I
                                > suggest you write your own accurate story, point out
                                > the inaccuracies in tabloid press and subsequently
                                > Wikipedia. Find help from someone about search engine
                                > optimization to make your page the first one to
                                > appear on a web search.

> Anyway, it is refreshing to see that Wikipedia is
                                > about posting stuff that can be verified, not
                                > neccessarily the truth. A commercially edited
                                > encyclopedia would probably work in the other way
                                > around, trying to verify all sources to find the
                                > truth and nothing but the truth.

I personally like Wikipedia for the music, it would be good if
                                they had people sharning their thoughts about albums from
                                certain eras - cause Wikipedia sorts them out so well - I mean
                                you can have albums sorted by year, decade, groups sorted by
                                era, etc. Some albums have a bit more information about it
                                than others of course, but ya can't argue with a track
                                listing (well unless someone stuffed up).

Next I reckon it'd be good to dive into the CDs which might
                                include an entire album a band/performer in particular did
                                earlier on all jumbled up onto CD - cause there's a number of
                                Greatest Hits, Anthology or just other CDs which do that. Even
                                EP records which have been stuck onto CD be good - for people
                                who might see an album & wonder if it's worth collecting. I
                                personally like to find out if a CD has an entire album - get
                                the track listing & program the CD player to play it that way
                                cause it's usually interesting to hear it in the same vein
                                that the original Vinyl was produced.

CP/M User.

Comment

Working...
                                X