Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

8088 Domination: A new FMV method for 8088 PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gondry also experimented with this, and didn't use computers to cheat either:

Everything is a remix anyway
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

You're interested toimplement Am strad PC1512 special CGA mode? it's cga and use a proprietary 640x200 16 colors, is easy to implement it (i can send examples),
      the demo videos works perfectly, but is interested in try this relic? DONT WORRY i have a computer of this characteristic to test it

Comment

I replied on the website, but I'll duplicate it here for posterity: There are a few hurdles in implementing PC1512 mode. It’s 64KB per frame instead of 16KB, so you’d need quadruple the CPU time and data to make videos that can take full advantage of the mode. Secondly, the Amstrad 640x200x16 mode is arranged by bitplanes, so according to the information at http://www.retroisle.com/amstrad/pcs...1512_Video.php it would be very slow to update large portions of the screen. I’d also have to write a compiler specifically for that mode.

The Tandy TL/RL/SL series also has a 640x200x16 mode, but I believe it’s arranged in chunky fashion which would make it easier to support. But I have no such plans at the moment. All source is freely available, if anyone else wants to give it a shot.
        Offering a bounty for:
        - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

ok, thanks, i understand the method to dump data in this mode is not very standard compared with for example EGA or Tandy, I dislike amstrad for this and another (mouse port for example, and monitor conector)...
          yes 4 planes = x 4 cpu and more video bandwidth, (if try to implement a fast RLE decompressor, can reduce, but i can't get hot much penalty will be, I use a XTIDE to emulate hard disk, the next try will be a RAM disk; and another video samples for example tron discs, the system waits to fills buffers a lot) only the advantage is that the CPU is 8mhz
          ok, i'm a good programmer in C, maybe try to operate a test-demo if remember old times of pascal, but I share your conclusion, I deduce: this mode is not standard and not is CGA at all
          maybe it can't do good results, but, my motto : if you do not try you never know if you will be successful...
          thanks!
          Last edited by modma; July 19, 2016, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Very Amazing Trixter...

Just to use the XT-IDE full throughput I've programmed a simple full-screen video player (here reproduced on Olivetti Prodest PC1) for 640x200 b/w mode because is not a composite-mode CGA.
            I't just a direct INT13 to screen memory but is near to 20fps. (no sound, because is pc-speaker only!)
            maybe interlacing it can show better animation. In the initial specification for this PC there was a 160x200x16 color mode but vanished on final model. That has to be very interesting because you can modify the palette and choose it freely from 512 different shades.

Here is the result, however, played on 320x200x4 grey mode:

Comment

Unlocked the 160x200x16 colors mode on a 1986's NEC V40 Olivetti Prodest PC1 - a new CGA ModeX call it!
              This is the result. Despite low resolution and color limitation (and lack of MHz!):

Comment

Originally posted by Simone2013 View Post
                Unlocked the 160x200x16 colors mode on a 1986's NEC V40 Olivetti Prodest PC1 - a new CGA ModeX call it!
                Very nice! That machine doesn't have a composite output, does it? (Even if it does, I'm noticing a distinct lack of composite artifacting in your images). And there doesn't appear to be any attribute clash in the video as far as I can tell. So I think you must be doing something that only works with the clone CGA of the Olivetti and not an IBM CGA. What I'm wondering is if your frame buffer is 16kB or 32kB. With a 32kB frame buffer it's possible that you might be using the "left half bar" trick that can be used on IBM CGA to get a 160x100x16 mode, but with half the number of scanlines per row. If this machine only has 16kB of VRAM then you must have either found a way to pack two pixels into every byte, or you're updating the VRAM fast enough to "race the beam" (is the CPU fast enough for that at 8MHz?)

Is your player based on Trixter's 8088 Domination player or something else? What's the data transfer rate?

Nice work with the error diffusion in the encoder. There are some problems with using this type of diffusion with animation, but they aren't too bothersome for most of this video.

Comment

n the initial specification for this PC there was a 160x200x16 color mode but vanished on final model. That has to be very interesting because you can modify the palette and choose it freely from 512 different shades.
                  I guess that's why we're not seeing artifacts?
                  How does this mode work? Do you connect it to an analog RGB monitor, eg VGA? Or how does it make the 512 shades? Is it an advanced composite output?
                  http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-ke...o-programming/

Comment

Very cool. Do you have any details on how you programmed that mode? I'm curious if the 16-color hack works on my Olivetti M24 (6300). I know the palette stuff won't work, but maybe there's something in the video chip I've overlooked. I know that the 6300/M24 has 32K of video RAM which means it has two "CGA pages", but I didn't see anything about alternate video modes.
                    Offering a bounty for:

Comment

@reengine: The machine has no composite out, but the video chip (YAMAHA V6355) has it, but is disconnected. All test i did with that pin was a not-so-clear picture. Maybe the PAL tv set didn't help. But this effect is a different trick.
                      All test to "race the beam" failed also on line basis (changing 16 color per line is too slow also for 80186, and i need to use many OUTs... maybe change only 4 color could be achieved... but per line)

The machine has 16kb video memory (repeated four times from B000 to BFFF), and i activated 160x200x16 mode that is proprietary of then YAMAHA chip but in common with i.e. IBM PCJR. That video mode was in pre-production specification but was dropped in the final (maybe because after the PCJR market failure?). No trace also in the BIOS. Fiddling with registers finally open that mode!

@Scali: The Olivetti PC1 is connected to the RGB (analog) to the TV set via SCART, but I build a cable C/Amiga 1084s to display RGB (very nice). RGBI digital did not permit to redefine colors: the output is the same 160x200 but the 16 color are from standard CGA/EGA set. The video chip can freely redefine the 16 colors with a 3 bit for each R/G/B channel. 9 bit RGB is like MSX palette, limited but better than fixed EGA. Similar to MSX the chip is capable of 512x192 pixel and a whooping 640x204 resolution (but sadly, the two resolutions are monochrome!). The chip is capable also of 640x200x16 but in a different configuration (require extra circuits and video RAM).
                      Redefining the palette each frame should indeed be possible (out of retrace time), but I have to build a special video encoder. Also time is critical.
                      For reaching 25fps I had to load directly to video memory the byte flux already interlaced and exactly of 16384 byte (instead of 16000). Also because we have the video RAM repeated 4 times I loaded 4 frame each INT13 call. (loading 128 consecutive sectors from hard disk). Not much time left to make other tricks...

@Trixter:Yea I have the detail and the port you have to write. However the hack would work only on YAMAHA V6355D. M24 has a 640x400 mode (16 color with dedicated expansion card), some of the bios call vestigia are found in PC1's BIOS but is a complete different beast.
                      I have another machine Olivetti M200, also with NEC V40 but has a VLSI chip (for what I see) that use 640x400 (and a neat 8x16 character set!) and maybe similar to M24. If I found something I'll tell you.

Comment

However the hack would work only on YAMAHA V6355D.
                        Ah, never mind then. But you should still publish the details of how the mode is initialized, just for historical reasons. Thanks for the info!
                        Offering a bounty for:

Comment

Michael Karcher and fuz dug deep into unlocking undocumented Yamaha modes at https://retrocomputing.stackexchange...or-640x400-b-w , they concentrated on 32KB v6366 640x400, but maybe they also stumbled on 160x200 one during their brainstorming https://chat.stackexchange.com/trans...04218/2020/2/9

Comment

Working...
                          X