• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just because I am fascinated with all things C - what was the 2nd C compiler made?

alank2

Veteran Member
I know it started with Unix, but it seemed like C took off from there. I've read that BDS C was the first C compiler for CP/M, but what I really wonder is who came up with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th C compiler after the 1st? What system/platform were they for?

P.J. Plauger claims that Whitesmith C was the first commercial C compiler. It ran on Unix and Whitesmith's Unix inspired Idris, CP/M-80, VMS, and a bunch of the other PDP-11 operating systems.

Aztec C would have been an early micro compiler running on CP/M-80, Apple II, MS-DOS, and I think a number of other systems. The Amsterdam Compiler Kit was written before C compilers started proliferating but was not commonly used. After that, there would be a new compiler, often from a new company, announced every few months. Some even managed to stay in business long enough to fulfill orders. Good luck sorting that into any accurate order.

I read an interview with the BDS guy and he mentioned them coming out within a month of each other!

C/80 by Software Toolworks appeared around 1980, which appears to be an enhanced early commercial version of Small-C. According to my book updates were made to that language and by January 1984 it had reached the level of BDS-C.

I couldn't say what the 1st PC C Compilers were, the IBM PC & XT Software guide I have mentions quite a few and is dated 1983, back then the main Operating Systems were DOS (PC & MS) and CP/M-86 v1.x.

The ones listed in my book are:-

Telecon-C
Supersoft-C
C/88
C Systems C
Microsoft C
Lattice C
Caprock C

Microsoft C is described on Wikipedia as being similar to Lattice C, though it was release in 1983 with Lattice C initial Release date of 1982. The 1st version of Microsoft C is described as not based on K&R C.

The Telecon-C, Supersoft-C & Lattice-C state they are compatable with version 7 of UNIX, while others have a limited subset (C/88, Caprock C). The most unusual of them being C Systems C, with my book suggesting it was written in BASIC!

The ones listed in my book are:-

Telecon-C
Supersoft-C
C/88
C Systems C
Microsoft C
Lattice C
Caprock C

Microsoft C is described on Wikipedia as being similar to Lattice C, though it was release in 1983 with Lattice C initial Release date of 1982. The 1st version of Microsoft C is described as not based on K&R C.

I believe Microsoft C version 2 and earlier were relicensed from Lattice. Version 3 and on were their own.

I used

Computer Innovations C-86
Mark Williams C
Microsoft C

at work

and Borland C and C++ at home.

Back