• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tiki-100 Computer Overview/Teardown-video

per

Veteran Member

I recently made this overview/teardown review of the Norwegian Tiki-100 computer from 1984. In this video, I go over the design, the hardware and at the end there is a demonstration of some simple software for it.

Enjoy!

(This machine was, due to a decission by the government, popular in Norwegian schools from 1984 untill the early 90s. In the home and business market, on the other hand, it flopped right away due to strong competition from both the Commodore 64 and IBM PC.)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Per.

I could not afford, or at least not justify the cost of the machine back then. It was simply too expensive, unfortunately. So I never got my hands on one. One of my co-workers had one, though. But I never got the chance to take a look at it.

-Tor

Fantastic to see this computer again. Hard drive ? I've never seen one with that. Thanks for showing the rear of it. My gosh it is expanded a lot. Is there a user community for this system in Norway ? .. Keys look very much like Tandberg Data / Norsk Data keyboards. Maybe they used siemens keys too.. Thanks for another great Tiki-video !

Fantastic to see this computer again. Hard drive ? I've never seen one with that. Thanks for showing the rear of it. My gosh it is expanded a lot. Is there a user community for this system in Norway ? .. Keys look very much like Tandberg Data / Norsk Data keyboards. Maybe they used siemens keys too.. Thanks for another great Tiki-video !
Thanks!

Yeah, this particular machine use Siemens switches, but most of these use compatible but cheaper switches. It's very interesting because the cheaper switches bumps quite a bit up in force when they actuate about halways down the travel, while the proper Siemens switches sort of "gives in" and immediately actuates at the very start of the travel. Very different feel.

We do have a small group for talking about the Tiki-100 on Facebook!

Community - not exactly, just a few users who post from time to time in a (Norwegian language) forum. A couple of interesting hardware developments are in progress too.

That TIKI Basic looks a lot like BBC Basic.. is it ?
Practically yes.

It's adapted to Z80 and this particular hardware, thus some of the Graphics and Sound commands does different things. The overall syntax is similar, and extended uppon further to implement the full COMAL syntax. Having a BBC-Basic compatible Basic was one of the requirements from the goverment for this machine.

A cool feature is that the later versions have commands compatible with an analog/digital IO expansion card. It has 2 analog outputs, 8 slow analog inputs, and a PIO with external buffers on one port.

Last edited:
Back