• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

At&t 6300

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
perhaps I am posting on holy ground, seems last post was in '05. Anyhoo, the AT&T 6300 is an awesome computer. It has a fast processor for it's time, is easily upgraded, and is CHEAP online for some reason. Only problem is it's proprietary connections. It can also handle upto windows 1.03. at any rate, it is cheap, reliable, and an all-around nice computer.

The AT&T PC 6300 (rebranded Olivetti M24) was notable for a few things:

• 7.16MHz 8086 made it twice as fast as most 808x compatibles of the day
  • Proprietary monitor had a 400-line screen, and the CGA card used it, so you had really nice-looking 8x16 text. It was excellent for text work. It also supported a 640x400 2-color mode, which was used by a few games and graphics programs. A common use was using this mode to display MacPaint pictures downloaded from BBSes without any distortion.
  • The disk drives were nearly silent. A lot of people forget this detail and are surprised when they fire up the machine ("Are they working?")

Re: At&t 6300

I've got five of 'em, complete, including keyboards & monitors, and a couple of extended memory cards. Picked them up a couple of years ago from a fellow ham radio operator who was also a collector. He was moving, and didn't want to carry them around (I got several other nice "vintage" computers and a metric @$$-load of software too!).

I still haven't managed to get one up and running. Perhaps next weekend. I'm taking Friday off, giving me a four-day weekend. Hmmm...

If you have the software for the memory card, I'd love to have a copy. I have a memory board but no EMM driver.

I'm going to have to go through the boxes of software I received with this. Yes, I said BOXES! These computers came from the Volusia County school system (Florida), when they upgraded, many moons ago. I have only peeked in one box.

I'll let you know if I find something.

Back