• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Email client for Windows 95?

TH2002

Experienced Member
So an absolute madlad by the name roytan1 (on another forum) modded a version of The Core Pocket Media Player to run on Windows 95. Yes the thing will even play MP4 files without much issue. What an accomplishment!

Anyways, on to my main question: Is there an email client for Windows 95 that will work with modern email providers such as Yahoo, or would that be pretty much a lost cause given modern web encryption and all? Not that I'm trying to live with Windows 95 as my main OS or anything (LOL), but would be pretty cool if I could read and respond to emails on my vintage computers.

Weren't we all doing that already with Winamp back in the 95/98 days? It really whips the Llamas A$$ I'm told.

Outlook express built into windows 95 should work if you can get the pop settings which most email providers still keep on for legacy sake. If not there are myriads of other email clients for windows 95 (other than outlook or outlook express)

Weren't we all doing that already with Winamp back in the 95/98 days? It really whips the Llamas A$$ I'm told.

Outlook express built into windows 95 should work if you can get the pop settings which most email providers still keep on for legacy sake. If not there are myriads of other email clients for windows 95 (other than outlook or outlook express)

LOL, the Llama brought back memories. Yes, Outlook Express *should * work. Here are the settings needed for Gmail:

Incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing email server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
[X] My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
Incoming server (POP3): 995
Outgoing Server (SMTP): 587
Use the following type of encryption connection: TLS

These settings are from a newer version of Outlook so they may be labeled differently in Outlook Express.

So an absolute madlad by the name roytan1 (on another forum) modded a version of The Core Pocket Media Player to run on Windows 95. Yes the thing will even play MP4 files without much issue. What an accomplishment!

Anyways, on to my main question: Is there an email client for Windows 95 that will work with modern email providers such as Yahoo, or would that be pretty much a lost cause given modern web encryption and all? Not that I'm trying to live with Windows 95 as my main OS or anything (LOL), but would be pretty cool if I could read and respond to emails on my vintage computers.

This thread might be of help. Some old Thunderbird or SeaMonkey I think will be your best bet for doing email in Windows 95.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=655995

Back