Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Trying to get 256 color mode working in win98 (think I might need a driver?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eswan
    replied
    If the video card has empty ram sockets, you should be able to bring it up to 2 meg at least. Ought to be 2 pieces of 256k x 16 EDO SOJ.

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
    Lowest is 16 colors normally. But depending on the driver, it may or may not offer that color depth in every screen resolution.

The graphics card needs enough video memory to store at least one full frame with the given resolution and color depth.

1024x768 @ 8 bits (256 colors) works with 1 MB
    1024x768 @ 16 bits (64k colors) needs at least 2 MB
    1024x768 @ 24/32 bits (true RGB, 16.7 million colors) needs at least 3 MB (that is 4 MB, as 3 MB is not an option)
    Oh shoot, so it sounds like it's my video card that's the limit then?

To be honest, i'm not too worried about it.
    800*600 at 16 bit should be plenty for now, and now I know what to upgrade if I want better output in the future.

I just feel stupid for assuming 256 was the highest just because it's the biggest number XD

Thank you for educating me.

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    Wow, I feel extra stupid.
    I should have realized 256 was the lowest color setting of the group. It's even listed in ascending order!
    So it seems like the best options I can currently get are 24 bit color @ 640 by 480 px or 16 bit color @ 800 by 600 px depending on if I want to get the most out of colors or resolution.

What's limiting me from higher bit color at higher resolutions? Is it a driver thing, or is it my video card, or is it something else?
    For now i'll probably set it to 16 bit color at 800 by 600 px since it seems like the best compromise for a good color range and high resolution.

Is my video card also what's limiting my resolution selection? I only have 3 fixed resolution options.

Leave a comment:

• Timo W.
    replied
    Lowest is 16 colors normally. But depending on the driver, it may or may not offer that color depth in every screen resolution.

The graphics card needs enough video memory to store at least one full frame with the given resolution and color depth.

1024x768 @ 8 bits (256 colors) works with 1 MB
    1024x768 @ 16 bits (64k colors) needs at least 2 MB
    1024x768 @ 24/32 bits (true RGB, 16.7 million colors) needs at least 3 MB (that is 4 MB, as 3 MB is not an option)

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    No, 256 colors are 8 bit.
    wait wh-

So 256 is the lowest of the 3 resolutions I have to choose from?
    If that's the case it'd explain a lot.

Is it a memory issue or something then?
    It seems like the higher I set the resolution, the lower bit depth of color it lets me choose from (?)

Leave a comment:

• Timo W.
    replied
    No, 256 colors are 8 bit.

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    Originally posted by GiGaBiTe View Post

If you're getting a dithered color bar, you're in 256 color mode. 16 color mode will show 16 distinct color blocks with no dithering. 15/16 bit color (32768 or 65536 colors) will give you a RGB color ramp with vertical lines, and 32 bit (16,777,216 colors) will give you a smooth color ramp.

Since you're able to run at 1024x768@8bpp, it means that Windows 98 has some sort of driver for your video card. If you had no driver at all, Windows would be using its generic video driver, which locks you to 640x480 at 16 colors. You should be able to see what Windows thinks your video card is in the device manager.

But the behavior you're describing in Paint is to be expected because you only have 256 colors.

Incorrect. The power switch on ATX power supplies is a physical on/off switch. Depending on who designs the unit, it can either be a single or double pole switch. Cheaper supplies generally only use a single pole switch, while more expensive supplies will use double pole switches. The former will usually only cut the hot, while the latter will cut both the hot and the neutral.
    Wait... aren't 32 bit and 256 color mode the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    Not incorrect. You are wrong, as you just described AT, not ATX. What he said is 100% correct.
    I mean, he's not totally wrong (I think), there's a physical hard cut off switch on the back of most if not all (that I know of) ATX power supplies, but it's different from the wired switch described to be on AT power supplies, which would face inside the machine and is a toggle button style switch instead of a rocker switch, so maybe that's where he's getting confused.

ATX have both a physical rocker switch on the back that cuts power directly, and the ability to turn it on or shut it down from the OS or a button wired to the motherboard through the 24 pin motherboard connection.

What eswan describe is also true, the power supply in my win98 rig (which I believe is an AT power supply) has no rocker switch on the back. On the back it features only a male and female 3 pin mains power socket, and a voltage selector toggle. On the side facing in are all the wires, and a switch wired out that goes to the front panel of the case, and has an earth ground wire that terminates in a crimped washer style terminal that gets screwed into the case. Nowhere on the board is there a place to wire a power switch, so there's not any way (that I know of) for the board to tell the power supply to shut down; there's just the two 6 pin cables from the supply, and I don't think any of them let the board tell the supply to turn off.

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied

If you're getting a dithered color bar, you're in 256 color mode. 16 color mode will show 16 distinct color blocks with no dithering. 15/16 bit color (32768 or 65536 colors) will give you a RGB color ramp with vertical lines, and 32 bit (16,777,216 colors) will give you a smooth color ramp.

Since you're able to run at 1024x768@8bpp, it means that Windows 98 has some sort of driver for your video card. If you had no driver at all, Windows would be using its generic video driver, which locks you to 640x480 at 16 colors. You should be able to see what Windows thinks your video card is in the device manager.

But the behavior you're describing in Paint is to be expected because you only have 256 colors.

Incorrect. The power switch on ATX power supplies is a physical on/off switch. Depending on who designs the unit, it can either be a single or double pole switch. Cheaper supplies generally only use a single pole switch, while more expensive supplies will use double pole switches. The former will usually only cut the hot, while the latter will cut both the hot and the neutral.
    Okay, weird, I figured there would be more actual colors for 256 color mode, but if having a dithered color bar is normal then i'm not sure what's up.
    I installed the driver linked by kc8eyt, but it was an older windows 95 driver, and it didn't seem to change much. The driver windows is defaulting to is "Trident 9685/9680/9682/9385/9382/9385-1 PCI", which it says is sourced from the original windows 98SE installation files, so it recognizes that it's a Trident PCI card.
    Maybe 32 bit color is what i'm looking for??? I don't know though.

I think something is wrong because it seems like there's more colors available when I lower the video resolution and set it to high color (16 bit) or true color (24 bit), but it seems like the color profiles are locked to video resolution. If I choose true color (24 bit) and start at a resolution of 640 by 480, then bump the slider up to 800 by 600, it swaps to high color (16 bit). From here going down keeps it at 16 bit color and doesn't revert to 24 bit color, but if I manually select 24 bit color from the drop down, it sets the resolution to 640 by 480.
    Bumping it up from either of those settings to size 3 on the slider (1024 by 76 changes it to 256 color mode. With 256 color mode selected it will let me choose any of the 3 set resolutions, but the color looks off, and with 16 and 24 bit color modes, trying to increase the resolution forces the option to 256 color mode.
    Last edited by J. Radon; June 9, 2021, 01:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

Leave a comment:

• J. Radon
    replied
    Originally posted by eswan View Post
    "this topic is just about getting 256 color working"

Do you know how much memory there is on the video card? I'm pretty sure 1024x768x256 requires 1 meg. Can it do 800x600x256?
    <edit>

Just looked up the tgui9680, it's a PCI card with a minimum of 1 meg, which means both of the posts I wrote were pointless. Yes, it sounds like a driver issue, and yes if you have a PCI based system, it should properly shut down under operating system control - unless it's one of the early PCI motherboards that has an AT style power supply.
    I believe it is an AT power supply based on your description. I'm only familiar with the modern standard of ATX.
    It has two 6 pin connectors to supply the board power, and the supply has a wired switch that runs to the power button slot on the front of the case with a ground wire that splits off and gets bolted onto the case. It was pretty weird for me, and I was worried about having to potentially replace it if anything went wrong since I don't know anything about older PSU standards, and was having trouble googling the term "power supply with switch" or similar. Everything just brought up modern ATX supplies and the shut off switch on the back of the supply.

edit: I bring this up because I wonder if that's what's causing the odd shut down behavior. when I try to shut it down from the start menu, it just hangs after what I assume is it ending any processes. I then end up having to press the power button. I'm cautious about making sure I never use just the power switch to shut it down like I do with my main desktop, since I know with this machine the power button just directly cuts power from the supply instead of signaling to the board to start a shutdown process. Not having a power switch pin set on the board is just absolutely wild to me.
    Last edited by J. Radon; June 9, 2021, 01:21 AM. Reason: additional information

Leave a comment:

• Timo W.
    replied
    Not incorrect. You are wrong, as you just described AT, not ATX. What he said is 100% correct.

Leave a comment:

• GiGaBiTe
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Radon View Post
    I'm a bit confused with how colors work in windows 98SE.
    In the settings tab under display properties it says it's set to 256 color mode and my screen area is 1024 by 768. The actual color gradient underneath it however looks like only 6 colors with dithering, instead of a smooth blend. Then when I go into paint and go to define custom colors, it's more of the same; dithering. I don't think it's actually displaying 256 colors, I think it's maybe displaying in 16 bit color?

Originally posted by eswan View Post
    ATX power supplies are where they introduced 'soft' power on/off, which could be controlled by the motherboard. The power switch on those typically goes to the motherboard and requests that the motherboard turn on/off the power.

Leave a comment:

• eswan
    replied
    "this topic is just about getting 256 color working"

Do you know how much memory there is on the video card? I'm pretty sure 1024x768x256 requires 1 meg. Can it do 800x600x256?
    <edit>

Just looked up the tgui9680, it's a PCI card with a minimum of 1 meg, which means both of the posts I wrote were pointless. Yes, it sounds like a driver issue, and yes if you have a PCI based system, it should properly shut down under operating system control - unless it's one of the early PCI motherboards that has an AT style power supply.
    Last edited by eswan; June 8, 2021, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eswan
    replied
    "why this thing has a power switch directly wired to the power supply; was that just standard at the time? It completely bypasses the motherboard. When I try to shut it down in the system it always hangs at the end and I have to manually power it off"

Standard for PCs to about midway through '486. PC and AT style power supplies have manual switches built in to the power supply that completly cut the power. Late AT style and 'Mini' AT power supplies have the switch on a remote cable. ATX power supplies are where they introduced 'soft' power on/off, which could be controlled by the motherboard. The power switch on those typically goes to the motherboard and requests that the motherboard turn on/off the power.

Leave a comment:

• kc8eyt
    replied
    Here's a few drivers from archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/tgui9680

https://archive.org/details/video-57p

Leave a comment:

Working...
X