• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search for BREVITY assembler

clh333

Veteran Member
Reading Thomas Windeknecht's 6502 Systems Programming, in which he outlines assembly routines using an assembler, BREVITY, of his own design. Does anyone have a copy of this or the related files?

Thanks,
-CH-

I'd be interested in a copy as well.

My elementary school was part of the Memphis State campus, and I was often around the Math building computer rooms remotely fooling around on the Sigma 9. Dr. Windeknecht had a lab full of OSI C2-8P's in the math building. There were always at least a couple of grad students writing programs using Dr. Windeknecht's BREVITY assembler, written by Dr. W. I never met him, but I did chat with his students, who seemed to enjoy hacking on the OSI machines.

At the time, my understanding was that BREVITY used a more compact notation than a standard assembler, so programs written in BREVITY took up less space, and a small machine could hold a larger source in RAM. This was in the 70's, so RAM footprint was a thing.

I never got to use any of those machines--only look at them, so I couldn't tell you much about them. I'm pretty sure all the machines were cassette based. I couldn't say if BREVITY was in EPROM or loaded from tape, but I had the impression that it was in EPROM, replacing the ROM BASIC.

I wasn't aware of the book. After reading your post, I found and bought a copy.

It looks like there is a paper about BREVITY in the NCC '79 proceedings: Windeknecht, T. G., "BREVITY: An Assembly Language for the 6502 Microprocessor," NCC '79 Personal Computing Proceedings, New York, 1979. I wonder how hard it would be to find a copy of those proceedings.

Back