• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What happened to all the old VMS software?

epitaxial

So I was reading through the massive VAX/VMS Software Source Book at http://wickensonline.co.uk/app/index.html#/scans and there were thousands of applications for VMS. So where did all the old copies go? I'd love to see some period era CAD or engineering software for VMS but its non existent today. Some familiar names in that book like Cadence or Pro/Engineer but everything else only shows up as mentions in books google has scanned. It would really do wonders for demonstrating what people used these systems for.

This is very special software, not Lotus123. We were not (yet) running our own VAXen at home so there was no incentive to take copies home and this was strictly commercial software so when you had a price that high per license you were more likely to safeguard the master disks/tapes in case they were damaged and by the time the system was retired again, nobody was interested in carting a case of tapes home with them so they were typically recycled with the machine.

So I was reading through the massive VAX/VMS Software Source Book at http://wickensonline.co.uk/app/index.html#/scans and there were thousands of applications for VMS. So where did all the old copies go? I'd love to see some period era CAD or engineering software for VMS but its non existent today. Some familiar names in that book like Cadence or Pro/Engineer but everything else only shows up as mentions in books google has scanned. It would really do wonders for demonstrating what people used these systems for.

I think the same way that much other software on all platforms went. So there were similar on Mainframe. Almost all gone now. I think licencing was the main reason

Stumbled across this old post while looking for N.mPc for the 11/780, either the original CWRU version or the later commercial product from Intellitech.

Might as well generalize and ask "What happened to all the old $PLATFORM software?", though.

Last edited:
Back