• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBBS Setup

falter

Veteran Member
The other day I discovered the printed transcript of a BBS system from almost exactly 40 years ago. It was called the Minneapolis CPM Software Library System and appears to have been run by two guys named Doug and Kevin. The transcript was tucked into the back of a collection of papers and construction diagrams from the guy who built one of my COSMAC ELFs. He had died about 15 years ago and his twin brother decided to sell the ELF along with the book. I think maybe they were running this Minneapolis board in 1981.. I can see the person who logged in was named Kevin. There's not much.. just a few pages of checking out posted messages etc.

I thought it would be neat to fire up CBBS on one of my CPM capable systems. I ran Telegard in the early 90s and thought that would be really cool to check out for comparison. However I see it has 5 disks and came in an unassembled format.. little bit more involved.

I'm curious.. would CBBS have required a hard drive? Or did they compile from 5 disks into a couple somehow?

Last edited:
Back