• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS driver for using PC speaker as sound card?

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
I found a driver for Win 3.1 to use the PC speaker like a sound card for playing sounds. It works pretty well, but it works only in Windows.

Just curious: Is there a similar driver for DOS?

Sure, but then there goes a a slot--and there are only 5 on a 5150, so 1 for video 1 for floppy 1 for hard, 1 for serial/parallel and 1 for memory.

The Port-Able Sound Plus is an AdLib/SoundBlaster compatible sound card that connects to the parallel port and has a passthrough so you can still use your printer. But I don't know if the DOS driver for it would run on an 8088.

Didn't they make mutli-I/O cards for the 5150 that combined some of those?

In 1983, how many multi-function boards were available for the 5150? When I purchased my 64KB one back then, I don't even recall that the sales guy mentioned any--and he'd have a lot to gain if he did. Stock IBM all the way.

Perhaps you don't recall--the 5-slot 64KB 5150 was pretty resource-limited.

Looking at the Jan 1983 issue of PC Magazine, there is a review article of 3 multi-function cards: Apparat's Combo Card with a clock plus serial and parallel, Seattle Computer's RAM card with serial port, and Quadram's Quadboard with RAM, clock, parallel, and serial ports. The sales person would get a better commission selling the $845 IBM 256K memory card and the $120 serial card and the $150 parallel card instead of the $995 list price ($600 street price) Quadboard.

Just saying what was true for me--and this was at Computerland in (IIRC) San Jose. There wasn't much in 1983 that could use a sound card anyway.

Given its price in 1983 dollars, few bought the 5150 to play games on in any case.

But to go back on-topic, read the Wikipedia article. There's also a YT video that demonstrates the execrable Windows sound driver.

Last edited:
I found a driver for Win 3.1 to use the PC speaker like a sound card for playing sounds. It works pretty well, but it works only in Windows.

It'd probably help answer the question if you said how powerful of a machine you're using.

If it's a 386 or better two possibilities are "VSB" and "REMUS" (you can find your own link for that one). Set your expectations very low.

Well, I am asking in general, since I may want to do it on many vintage PCs that I am going to get soon. Also, it is fun to just explore what new software and hardware the super enthusiasts have developed. (Wish I could find that spare CF card adaptor board, come to think of it.)

The exact computers that I am going to try these drivers on right now are a Swan 286/12 MHz. and a KLH, also 286/12 MHz. The Swan is a medium beige metal box (vertical expansion slots, but not a full-size box) and the KLH is a small beige metal box (3 horizontal expansion slots). Both easily have a free slot. Once I find that spare CF card adaptor board, I think I will add it to one of them.

Yes, actual sound cards are an option. Those can get expensive, though I do plan on eventually getting them.

If you're looking for a driver that emulates a "real" sound card a 286 isn't going to do it. The only reason it's possible on 386 and higher machines is because the VM86 mode allows them to create special sandboxes to trap hardware requests made by real mode software.

The best non-card alternative for a 286 class machine is probably a parallel port DAC like the Disney Sound Source or Covox Speech Thing. These require software written specifically for them but a fair body of that does exist

Going back to my original reply here, some of the advantages of an R-2R DAC parallel port DAC is that it's cheap (bunch of resistors and a D-sub connector) and gives much improved sound over the PC speaker, which has to be PWM-driven because less-critical timings are required. I don't know about drivers out there, but one should be pretty easy to cobble up.

Back