• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone know of a good telnet server for NT 4.0 server?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
About the only decent (and I use that word loosely) telnet server for Windows NT 4.0 server is on the Windows NT Server Resource CD. It's labeled as a beta version and probably hails back to 1993 and it's pretty shaky. Anyone know of a better one?

If it's possible to find an old Apache distribution, there's one in there. Later, I believe it was included in the IIS 5.0 distribution; not sure IIS5 works on NT4 though.

I guess I could check my collection of NT 5 betas and see if there's a later one in there. Or just see if W2K telnetd will install on NT 4.0.

Back in the last half of the 90's our web developers used cygwin on NT4.0, and cygwin included telnet in those days. But you'd have to go through the hassle of installing cygwin just to get telnet, and I suppose you'd need to find a cygwin installer from the day.

Yeah, not worth the effort. The NT 4.0 installed is the NT 4.0 Terminal Server edition, so I suppose I could find a Linux client and make that work. I don't know if a current version of Citirx would do that. Meh, I'll stay with the imperfect 1993 Telnet server for now.

Back