Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

BASIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BASIC

Ok...Im no programmer....BAck many years ago when I was in High school (88-91) I can recall times in class when I would go through a whole period or two of doing nothing but writing a BASIC program in my notebook while the teacher rambled on about Algebra, English, etc....but since then (91) , I cant say Ive done much with it....I can however, in my heart believe, that BASIC lasted longer than most other "OS's" and is was used in its different forms among various platforms more than current Win verisons ever were...
    Of course, this rambling has no vital proof as I am not a programmer and may be proven wrong, but I believe it to be an almost vital OS for most users, wheter they were IBM lovers, Apple, etc...

Brian

Basic was pretty much the first program written for the MITS Altair computer in 1975. Until the advent of CP/M several years later, Disk Basic was the only "operating system" available for the Altair.

This was true for several other systems from around that era.

Even when CP/M came out, BASIC was the preferred language for years and years.

Then came machines like the Apples, Ataris, TIs, Commodores and, eventually, the PC - all of which had BASIC built in.

In short, I think I agree. BASIC had a lot to do with the PC revolution and it had a very long life in early machines.

Erik
    The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
    The Vintage Computer

Comment

Re: BASIC

"Bheise" Wrote in message:

Brian,

> Ok...Im no programmer....BAck many years ago when I was in
      > High school (88-91) I can recall times in class when I would go
      > through a whole period or two of doing nothing but writing a
      > BASIC program in my notebook while the teacher rambled on
      > about Algebra, English, etc....but since then (91) , I cant say Ive
      > done much with it....I can however, in my heart believe, that
      > BASIC lasted longer than most other "OS's" and is was used in
      > its different forms among various platforms more than current
      > Win verisons ever were...

> Of course, this rambling has no vital proof as I am not a
      > programmer and may be proven wrong, but I believe it to be an
      > almost vital OS for most users, wheter they were IBM lovers,
      > Apple, etc...

You must also remember that BASIC was just about available for
      every microcomputer too. I don't think of it much of a big deal
      that Microsoft brought out their own BASIC in 1975 (or whenever),
      in fact some people might argue as to where there BASIC came
      from, so maybe there was a connection with the BASIC written
      in 1964 to the one in 1975?!

CP/M is more significant for me because as some will say was
      partly responcable for DOS & CP/M has plenty of BASICs for it.
      But Turbo Pascal just seems to have a lot more going for it.
      Naturally, I talking from having a little experience with a BASIC
      myself, I wouldn't expect anyone to perhaps play with Turbo
      Pascal from stratch (although it might be possible).
      In my view BASIC really got bogged down, there are also too
      many variations of the language (for example Pascal has had
      a form of standardizing which doesn't include Turbo Pascal
      naturally), but BASIC hasn't!

BASIC went on for longer, because more people were learning
      this, unfortunately the problems began when people didn't want
      to learn anything else but BASIC. Unfortunately BASIC has it's
      limits, but so does Turbo Pascal, but the interesting thing about
      TP is very few exploited those limits in CP/M in general. Which
      is why so much CP/M software is the way it is. The other
      downside to CP/M is people visioned CP/M as some kinda
      business orientated operating system, it's really capable of
      doing more. It could be like DOS & have decent graphical
      games, not text adventures!

Regards.
      Generic and Amstrad CPC based Programs written in Turbo Pascal 3

Comment

I used to write lots of Basic Programs about a dozen of them dealing with rocketry and simulation.My biggest Amatuer Rocket flight simulator that I designed was about 32K in size.I learned the difference between a interpreted language and a compiled one and had the programs run a lot faster.I used to use Fortran 4 on the Punch Card machines earlier.
        I will never forget the good old Basic days.
        MY IDEA I wish that there was a G.U.I. keyboard one that could be programmed by an application to display icons or text on each Key\'s L.C.D. screen.

Comment

"Jon Jarmon" wrote in message:

> I used to write lots of Basic Programs about a dozen
          > of them dealing with rocketry and simulation.My
          > biggest Amatuer Rocket flight simulator that I
          > designed was about 32K in size.I learned the
          > difference between a interpreted language and a
          > compiled one and had the programs run a lot faster.
          > I used to use Fortran 4 on the Punch Card machines
          > earlier.

Sorry I wasn't sure which language you were referning
          to being faster when it comes to interpreted & compiled
          language.

On my Amstrad becuase BASIC is so comperhensive
          & interpreted, it trends to be slower that the compiled
          languages or Assembly in general.

Becuase IBM compatables are so fast nowadays an
          interpreted language maybe the same speed as the
          compiled one.

Cheers.

Comment

Ho CP/M user. Sometimes I would just write a program into Machine Code rather than have to bother with assembly(of course most people understood assembly) but I understood the binary stuff.
            I learned at first by using the peek and poke commands in Basic.

Other times I would use a compiler that would compile a program written in the interpreted and much slower basic language into machine language.
            It runs several hundred times faster!
            MY IDEA I wish that there was a G.U.I. keyboard one that could be programmed by an application to display icons or text on each Key\'s L.C.D. screen.

Comment

Whoops typo again Imeant Hi CP/M user.Sorry bro.

Comment

> Whoops typo again I meant Hi CP/M user.Sorry bro.

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Cheers.

Comment

> Ho CP/M user. Sometimes I would just write a
                  > program into Machine Code rather than have to
                  > bother with assembly(of course most people
                  > understood assembly) but I understood the binary stuff.
                  > I learned at first by using the peek and poke commands
                  > in Basic.

I did a little bit of Machine Code programming, but
                  I learned it from Disassemblys (which would have
                  been programs written in Assembly).

I wrote a little flashy program which displayed the
                  contents of memory on my Amstrad using BASIC.
                  It maybe it's time to write it in Turbo Pascal under
                  CP/M, maybe that will help me with some programming
                  problems there.

> Other times I would use a compiler that would compile
                  > a program written in the interpreted and much slower
                  > basic language into machine language.
                  > It runs several hundred times faster!

Turbo Pascal's like that. You can write a pascal program
                  which can just simply be executed in Memory. Once it's
                  compiled I think it runs faster. But a more classic case
                  would be Microsoft that wrote a couple of BASICs (one
                  was just interpreted & the other compiled) called QBASIC.
                  GWBASIC is another interpreted BASIC as well.

Cheers.

Comment

B.A.S.I.C.!

Ahhh, BASIC, I am one of those people who enjoy BASIC, I have programmed in other languages, but many of which are mnot as approachable as BASIC.

One thing I have been doing the past few years is collecting BASIC games books, and there are quite a few of em. One thing nice about BASIC is that it is easy to read - no deciphering some strange code like #&(.++) (don't sweat on it I just made it up). So with all those published volumes are procedures and calculations ready to read and experiment with to figure out, improve and translate. One book even has a chess program (Tim Hartnells' Second Big Book of BASIC Games) never thought I'd see one in BASIC, but given time anything can be done in it (yeah, it may be better in some other language, but if it works and does what people need it doesn't really matter, does it?

For those looking to re-live BASIC greatness on modern platforms, I suggest Chipmunk BASIC (it's free and available on most platforms) , very microsoft standardish and on the classic Macs (OS9 or less) it supports hi-res graphics too!

Comment

I have spent days playing with my IBM PS/2 model 30's BASIC. The hard drive in the machine is borken and it just boots into BASIC from ROM... very cool stuff.
                      IBM PS/2 fanboy
                      The Kevcave, my little slice of the web.
                      Admin, the llama-X Project .

Comment

I mostly used Basic on my Commodores. Learned that one real fast...even with the C= specific codes. Still, it's pretty universal. I dabbled in ML for a while, it was a little too much for me to get a good handle on. I do remember typing in a load of ML from the Compute and Compute's Gazette magazines. They did us Commie's a great favor when they created a program called MLX...the last code of the line held a checksum, cuz that stuff was EASY to mistype. Lines like: A3, B7, 7F, 4$, etc... Binary was actually easier. I learned that for programming sprites. First you code the graphic values, then convert to binary. That was easy.
                        "There are millions of people out there who swear that I am *NOT* right in the head. There are millions more who swear I *AM* right in the head. Oddly enough, they all make this claim for the SAME REASONS!" - Me.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore...kid~35876.aspx

^^^My book.

Comment

Re: BASIC

Originally posted by Bheise
                          ....BAck many years ago when I was in High school (88-91) I can recall times in class when I would go through a whole period or two of doing nothing but writing a BASIC program in my notebook while the teacher rambled on about Algebra, English, etc....
                          Good thing ya never let school interfere with yer education...

--T
                          Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X