• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC V20 files

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I found this floppy while looking for some other stuff. It's from 1985 and is a bunch of files related to the NEC V20 chip from NEC's Natick Operations. This was sent to V20 developers back then.

It might be interesting from a historic standpoint. I'll leave it up for a week or so. I also have the CPMulator program that ran some of the CP/M-80 files.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck! Didn't Allison work at NEC Natick about that time? I wonder if she was involved in any of that stuff?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi Chuck! Didn't Allison work at NEC Natick about that time? I wonder if she was involved in any of that stuff?

A couple of years ago, this came up on cctalk. My contact at NEC was Rich Naro and I believe that Allison mentioned that his tenure was just before she arrived on the scene.

By about 1987, NEC lost interest in promoting the V20 here and were more interested in targeting the V40/V50 family for embedded applications. In fact, most members of the V-series were intended for embedded use. There are even some members of the series without a V-number at all (e.g. uPD79011 with built-in RTOS).

The NEC V-series eventually ended with the V70 (I'm not counting the V850 uC), which wasn't x86 compatible at all. A remarkable CPU, AFAIK it was used only in some Sega consoles.

NEC still makes some microcontrollers; the 78Kxx are along the lines of an x80 type architecture, the 32-bit V850 is a RISC design.

Last edited:
CPMulator

CPMulator

Hallo,
I am verry interested in the CPMulator.
I have bought a old Tulip PC with a V20 CPU.
I understand I can run my 8080 code programs on the Tulip with the CPMulator.
Can you help me/
Thank you,
Henk Siewert

I found this floppy while looking for some other stuff. It's from 1985 and is a bunch of files related to the NEC V20 chip from NEC's Natick Operations. This was sent to V20 developers back then.

It might be interesting from a historic standpoint. I'll leave it up for a week or so. I also have the CPMulator program that ran some of the CP/M-80 files.

PM with you email and I'll email an archive--after which, you can be responsible for sharing it. If someone wants to add this to a public archive, I don't see the harm as this was a demonstrator disk. It does have historical value.

Note that this was from Jay Sprenkle from 1985 that accompanied the first sales of the "V20 Speedup Kit". It will not run on modern systems. Basically, the way you form an executable program from a CP/M .COM file is to prepend the file CPME to it. If you then run the result on a V20-equipped system that isn't running a late version of DOS, it will execute.

yes I also read the 8080 code was in the V20 chip.
there was a small program called FASTV20
that added a bit if speed. at least according tho the early northon utils.
I did not see it when I started backing up my old cd-er's
next is to back up my old tapes.
I tried without sucess. but I found the " jumperless tape controller" and will try with that on an older system, 386 at best. I will need to restore to a drive and than copy to another drive. I have a ISA scsi card so I can get my the "528m" barrier that affects older systems.
I have some smaller ide drives that will work with old systems..

Bump. (Sorry!) I'd be interested in this material if someone (?) still has it available.

Exactly what are you looking for? Remember that I made the original post 4 years ago. The post bumper has exactly one post to his name, so it's hard to determine if it's robo-spam.

Chuck forwarded it to me, but I'm in the midst of recovering my FTP storage. I'll keep looking for it and let everyone know if I find it.

Geoff

PM me with your email and I'll send the files. It's also No. 69 in volume 3 of the archives I posted about a few months back as a disk image. I don't recall who offered to host the stuff, but there are at least three people doing so.

A shame that Erik doesn't have a larger general upload area.

Volume 3? I only saw the Volume 1 & 2. The first two are here

Where's #3 hiding at?

edit: All 3 volumes are at the above link now, thanks Chuck.

Last edited:
URL is bad but I figured it out based on the previous link. However, the STONED virus is in the file "73.imd" ("DTC ESDI Controller Drivers and Utilities") in the .zip.

Last edited:
Interesting--when I look at the disk, it's (permanently) write-protected. So it looks as if we've got a factory-original virus. I'll concoct a replacement image.

And the files for CPMULATOR are here if you don't want to deal with a disk image.

Back