• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Iomega Zip Tools for DOS, WFW311, Win95

kithylin

Experienced Member
On my usual weekly trip to my local used store a couple days ago I found some Zip-100 discs for 10 cents each and grabbed em anyway, cheap and useful to have (My pentium3 machine has a Zip-100 drive). Turned out that with one disc I got more than I bargained for: The original old Zip Tools software.

I have.. Iomega Zip Tools for MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 95.

I've scanned this software for viruses with AVG 2012, and Avast! Pro 5.xx, none found.

Edit: I went and got it off the disc today and realized it's 22mb, so I went ahead and put it on my web server.

Link: http://www.outfoxed.net/iomega/Iomega_Zip_Tools.rar

Last edited:
I love my ZIP drives, have two USB ones, and a bakers dozen of LPT1: versions.. (like 5, 6, or 7..)..

I love being able to dump stuff into my old computers quickly, and back again.

~Paul

Yeah parallel drives were slow but a damn nice solution to copy files off older x86 systems.

The read-me files talk about Jaz drives, but not Zip drives. Have you tried these with a Zip drive yet?

The read-me files talk about Jaz drives, but not Zip drives. Have you tried these with a Zip drive yet?

Yes, I've used them with an IDE/EIDE Zip-100 drive in Win98 on my Pentium3, they worked good for it. I haven't tried the dos/WFW311 side though.

Saw a bunch of ZIP 250 drives at the landfill recycle shop the other day - bought a USB one for $1. Previously bought a parallell ZIP 100 for $3. Useful software vector between old systems. Have a SCSI ZIP100 for old Macs as well.

Got it, thanks. Just what I was looking for...

I have to ask why in the name of.. everything, you decided to dig up and respond to a 3-year-old thread?

I mean, I appericate your thanks, but.. still. This is called "Necro'ing" in the internet forums, and in general is a pretty bad thing to do. I meant, it's not some rule or anything. Just in general, doing this in any forum website is considered bad internet etiquette and usually frowned upon.

However, yes, I do maintain the web server and continue to keep the file both hosted and in the correct location for this thread, and should still be available for everyone. I still see downloads from it a few times per month in my web server logs too.

I have to ask why in the name of.. everything, you decided to dig up and respond to a 3-year-old thread?

Your V-C post from February 2012 was returned in a Google search for "Iomega Tools". I have several ZIP 100 drives and a Bernoulli, and I was looking for a way to create a bootable zip drive; none of my disks had the tool suite on them. I followed the link, found and downloaded the contents, and since I was already logged in to the forum, posted my thanks for maintaining the link.

Sorry if I offended anyone by bringing up an old topic. Hope you feel better soon.

I think we'll all survive the incident ... don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Mike

It's fine really! :)

I'm glad it actually helped someone out there.

That is why I originally posted that up here, to help folks trying to use old stuff. :)

It's fine really! :)

I'm glad it actually helped someone out there.

That is why I originally posted that up here, to help folks trying to use old stuff. :)

It's funny how time flies. I wanted to test a Zip drive recently and I couldn't even figure how to hook it up. Before you laugh too hard ...

• It's SCSI, so it requires a different cable than the parallel port versions.
  • I couldn't remember which port on the back was which. (It has a pass-through to the next SCSI device.)

And of course, like a dummy, I forgot to check the underside of the drive which had a label that explained everything ...

So its been about three years since some one necroposted in this thread. Seems like its time:

Anyone remember how Zip SCSI works? i.e. Do you still need guest.exe? Is there another driver? Or is it all handled through the ASPI driver? I just installed a ZIP SCSI 100 internal in a 486-33 and for the life of me can't remember what I need to access the drive!

EDIT: Never mind. Found the DOSSTUFF directory...

Last edited:
I don't know exactly how to use it.. I think you figured it out. I'm still dutifully keeping the file hosted on my personal private web server all this time though.

In an effort to keep this thread properly necro'ed, I wanted to answer the above as I have just gone through the process of getting an old SCSI ZIP100 working on a W311 machine that I "upgraded" to Windows 95. My memory of the intricacies of ASPI had long faded away.

DOS/Windows 3.x: you will need for ASPI drivers that hopefully came with your SCSI card. If you don't have those, you can try various Adaptec drivers, as many cards will work with those. To access the ZIP/Jaz/etc drive from DOS or Windows, you have to use guest.exe to assign it a drive letter (which you can put in your autoexec.bat).

Windows 95: you will want to disable any 16-bit ASPI drivers in DOS and install the appropriate 32-bit ASPI drivers into Windows 95. You can keep both if you use a startup menu to boot directly into DOS or games or whatever and want to access the drive. I had some issues with remnants of the old Windows 3.11 ASPI drivers hanging around after the Windows 95 upgrade that were causing the system to lockup. You don't *need* to install any of the Iomega tools to access the drive in Windows 95 (guest.exe is not required) as long as your SCSI drivers are working correctly.

Thanks to the OP for posting the archive of the tools. I deleted them from all of my ZIP disks and never backed them up.

You can also use adaptec's ASPIDISK.SYS to manage the zip drive in DOS after the ASPI manager is loaded. It correctly identifies it as removable too, no iomega software required

Thank you so much kithylin for uploading the files. Nice gesture.

I was looking for this specific software, as I found a 250MB ZIP in one of my boxes one month ago and yesterday I coincidentally purchased some ZIP disks on eBay.

Back