Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi aitotat. Now as we have new XT-FDC board with support for up to 4 FDDs there seems to be a new problem with booting discovered. I have described it already in XT-FDC thread.

Originally posted by archeocomp
    Hi all. I have just finished two XT-FDC boards. They work fine in my TurboXT taiwanese board with Super Turbo 2.5 Plasma's BIOS. I have a problem though. It might be XT-IDE BIOS related (I am using V2.0.0,Beta2)? Since I wanted three drives A: 1.44MB, B:1.2MB and ?: 360kB I attached the first two drives to primary connector and 360kB drive to secondary connector. Now when I configure Sergey's BIOS to use any two of the three drives it works fine. As soon as I configure third logical drive, the XT-IDE BIOS will not boot from IDE devices. It will write:
    Booting C>>A
    and the third FD (360kB) drive's LED gets on. My obvious question is, can I have three drives and still boot from what used to be C: drive before ?

Originally posted by sergey View Post
    It could be a bug in XT-IDE BIOS and it picks the third floppy drive (drive number 02h) instead of the hard drive (drive number 80h).
    I have also discovered that I can press A (then it writes Booting A>>A) and boot DOS 6.22 from the A:1.44. Then I have all the drives functional and as expected, A: is 1.44MB, B: is 1.2MB, C: D: and E: are IDE drives and F: is 360kB FDD and they all work fine.

But I can not do this with XT-IDE BIOS 2.0.0B3. It seems it ignores me pressing A

Comment

Originally posted by archeocomp View Post
      But I can not do this with XT-IDE BIOS 2.0.0B3.
      I have already fixed some bugs related to drive swapping. Check your private messages for a link to latest XT builds. Most likely it will work just like beta 2. More than 2 floppy drives should work but I've never tested it. You could also try to manually set the number of floppy drives using xtidecfg.

Comment

Hi and thanks. I tested it. Settings the number of drives to 3 makes it possibleto boot from C: It behaves like this:
        Booting D>>C

But then following happens. I have three IDE partitions, one on a CF card and two on a IDE HDD. Only first two are recognized. More than that only the first C: partition has working filesystem. I can see directories on D: but not their contents. I believe this partition is treated like FAT12 ?? And the last problem is, my F:360kB is not recognized.

I reverted back to Beta2, there I can boot from both A: and B: and have all disk partitons and three flopiies working correctly. If you want I can send you one FDC card with Sergey's BIOS, so that you can set three FDDs in BIOS. You probably do not need them physically.

Comment

Settings the number of drives to 3 makes it possibleto boot from C: It behaves like this: Booting D>>C
          It should read "Booting D>>D" since D is the first available letter for hard drive (I thought that is how DOS drive letters are assigned but you say third floppy drive is F?). BIOS always uses drive numbers so that does not explain other problems.

I have three IDE partitions, one on a CF card and two on a IDE HDD. Only first two are recognized. More than that only the first C: partition has working filesystem. I can see directories on D: but not their contents. I believe this partition is treated like FAT12 ?? And the last problem is, my F:360kB is not recognized.
          For some reason the drive numbers must point to wrong drive at some point. Did XTIDE Universal BIOS initialize before or after FD BIOS? You should try both ways. Another thing to try would be to build XTIDE Universal BIOS without serial floppy support (you can get the new build using the same link as before).

If you want I can send you one FDC card with Sergey's BIOS, so that you can set three FDDs in BIOS.
          Sure, if nothing else helps.

Comment

Hi Tomi, it is better with R547. When I set in boot settings number of drives to 3 it writes:
            Booting D>>D (it is problematic with automatic settings, it does not boot from A: neither from IDE)
            Then in DOS I see as C: the drive from which it had booted (CF card as master IDE). The problem is with following drives. As far as I know, third and fourth drives get letter C: and D: in DOS 3 and prior. In DOS 5 and 6 they should get letters after the fixed drives. So there are two conventions for lettering. In my case it should be F: for the third drive 360kB. But I only see drives C:, D: and E:
            D: is first partition from slave HDD but not handled correctly I can only see boot directory not files and subdirs. Second partition on slave IDE is missing. Instead as letter E: I see my 360kB.

I mean had I simple setup with just one IDE drive, than it would all be OK I make it difficult with three partitions on IDE drives.

Comment

Hi Tomi, it is better with R547. When I set in boot settings number of drives to 3 it writes:
              Booting D>>D (it is problematic with automatic settings, it does not boot from A: neither from IDE)
              XT Builds determine number of floppy drives from equipment WORD stored in BIOS Data Area. HD controllers doesn't seem to update it. AT Builds determine number of floppy drives using BIOS function (INT 13h, AH=08h) that is unavailable on XT systems. Most likely HD floppy controllers do support it. Maybe I should try that on XT builds and then read from BDA if it won't succeed. I think I did that on XTIDE Universal BIOS v1.x.x but it was simplified to save ROM space.

D: is first partition from slave HDD but not handled correctly I can only see boot directory not files and subdirs. Second partition on slave IDE is missing.
              I found out what was wrong. It is not related to 3 floppy drives but to CHS translations.

There is a bug on publicly released versions. If LARGE mode is selected for drives with 8193 or more cylinders and 16 heads, the drive geometry must be changed so cylinders = (cylinders * 16) / 15 and heads = 15. This prevents L-Heads to became 256 that is not supported by DOS. The drive must be told to use 15 heads instead of 16 but the buggy versions did not do that. Fortunately XTIDE Universal BIOS used LBA addressing mode for drives with 8193 or more cylinders so the bug appeared only when LARGE mode was manually set and CHS was manually specified to be 8193 or more cylinders and 16 heads.

I fixed the bug but introduced a new one. Instead of limiting heads to 15 for user defined LARGE mode drives with 8193 or more cylinders and 16 heads, it was also limited for drives with 8192 or less cylinders and 16 heads. So that explains why you lost a partition and such.

I'll send you a new version to test but there is another change you should know (and everyone else when upgrading to next publicly released version). Assisted LBA is now used for all drives with LBA support when EBIOS functions are included in the build (and they are included by default although I do not know why anyone would need them on XT systems).

Comment

Hello all,

A little while back I was having troubles with living in the limits of the smaller sized chips and decided to move to a full blown 28C256 for the sake of GUI!
                However, I've not been able to successfully burn any 28C256 chips with my XT-IDE Rev 2 card. 28C64 chips work a charm.
                The error reported is:

Error! Timeout when polling EEPROM. EEPROM was not flashed properly!

I've tried multiple chips (see pictures) and multiple cards. I've included a photo of the card in case I've missed a jumper setting or am just going plain mad!
                I've been able to flash, erase and flash the chips on a separate EEPROM burner I have. Seems to fail around the 20% mark if I had to give a guesstimate.
                Any hints or tips would be appreciated as always!

McRetro.net | YouTube Channel | McRetro Gaming | Photo Gallery | File Server

Comment

Hi Tomi. Version R549 is fanatastic I can only say everything works. It is possible to boot from all three flopies, to read them, write to them and format them. Also all my IDE drives are as before. Thank you.

Comment

Just though I'd add that I've tried changing the base address to all four available options with no success also.
                    And here's a dump of a failed burn, maybe it can provide some insight into what I am doing wrong!

Download Link
                    Alternative Link

Edit: Noticed that there seems to be only 8192 bytes of data. I'd chosen the ATL version of 2.0.0b3. Relevant?

Edit 2: Relevant and then some. I thought 8192 was too precise. Turns out my jumpers needed to be changed at K6, K7, K2 and K1.
                    The image I found with the details is here.
                    I'd come across that image before on the wiki here but the resolution was not really that readable.
                    Hope this helps anyone else looking for why their card doesn't work...
                    Last edited by RetroJunkie; April 23, 2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroJunkie View Post
                      Hope this helps anyone else looking for why their card doesn't work...
                      Great you got it working. I don't have XTIDE rev 2 myself so I've never been able to test flashing the 32k EEPROM.

Comment

I've been trying to install Windows 98 SE way too many times during the past 3 or 4 weeks. All I get is blue screen with write error and it always happens at the same time, after second reboot during install. Windows 95 (I tried OSR 2.5) installs fine but hard disks are in DOS compatibility mode (Windows does BIOS calls).

I'm almost certain that the blue screen occurs when Windows switches from BIOS calls to IDE driver. I just don't know why. I've tried to disable everything that is not necessary, like block mode and IRQ, but nothing I've tried has made any difference. I tried to limit drive to 1024 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors per track. That is the 504 MiB limit but that didn't help either. At least it tells that the problem is not related to CHS translations.

I've mostly tested on a Pentium system with Intel 430TX chipset. It has PCI based integrated IDE. This is all the info I could find. I don't think the problem is the PCI Bus IRQ Steering mentioned in the link since the same happens on a VLB based 486 system.

At this point any ideas or information helps.

Comment

Originally posted by aitotat View Post
                          Great you got it working. I don't have XTIDE rev 2 myself so I've never been able to test flashing the 32k EEPROM.
                          So close to getting it working... another bump in the road it seems. Something of a data mismatch near the end of the flash. Definitely progress but I'm stuck again!

I've mostly tested on a Pentium system with Intel 430TX chipset. It has PCI based integrated IDE. This is all the info I could find. I don't think the problem is the PCI Bus IRQ Steering mentioned in the link since the same happens on a VLB based 486 system.

I'd pull out my Pentium 100 but it is currently waiting to be shipped up to me! I had a DoM to test in it as well... Might be worth a shot.
                          I could at least see if the problem can be replicated easily enough.

Comment

There might be clues in C:\Bootlog.txt and C:\WINDOWS\Ios.log (if they exist). See this for more info.
                            Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
                              There might be clues in C:\Bootlog.txt
                              And there were! Turned out that HSFLOP.PDR was the last driver being initialized before the write error blue screen. Quick googling revealed that HSFLOP.PDR is protected mode floppy drive driver and Windows loads real mode driver if it is not found. So I renamed it and everything worked (of course the floppy drives used MS-DOS compatibility mode).

Temporary solution to get Windows 98 running is to rename windows\system\iosubsys\hsflop.pdr. Now I'll need to find out why floppy drive driver makes hard disks fail.

Comment

I don't think my Pentium 100 is ever going to make it up here at this rate!

So I'm back on the XTIDE band wagon again this weekend
                                I was wondering since I cannot flash the chip using the XTIDE card as it fails toward the end...
                                Could anyone cook me up a copy of either B3 or r550 that I could just write to an AT28C256 EEPROM?
                                I would be most appreciative!

Edit: Actually three would be great, or telling me how to do it (Teach a man to fish!)
                                I'm after ide_xtl.bin, ide_xtpl.bin and ide_atl.bin to see which one runs best on the good old Sega TeraDrive.

Edit 2: Just to clarify, I can build the 8K builds and write them with no issues.
                                But these 32K builds just will not go onto the EEPROMs on either of my XTIDE cards.

Edit 3: Found that 2.0.0 Beta 3 doesn't autodetect any of my drives either.
                                2.0.0 r550 doesn't seem to detect my disk on module, r505 does though.
                                Running an XTIDE R2 on XT @ C800h, 300h I/O address.
                                Half the time I can't work out if I am doing something wrong or if it is just a bug in the software!
                                It's half the fun I suppose, thanks for the continued effort of working to improve the XTIDE BIOS even further!
                                Even if it breaks it a little sometimes

Edit 4: r550 and B3 started working for me... no idea what I did. Maybe I power cycled harder than previously...
                                Back to compiling a custom menu!

Edit 5: I couldn't get 32K (AT256) chips to boot, but heck, I got my menu back. This isn't Linux kids
                                Thanks again and until we meet next... Best wishes to all!

Last edited by RetroJunkie; May 25, 2013, 06:41 AM. Reason: Added multiple edits, instead of multiple posts

Comment

Working...
                                X