Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PePe-fr
    replied
    Hmmmm...

It looks like this one :

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/io-card...-I-O-CARD.html

There is a variation around JP2 (got 6 pins instead of 3).

The game port is set to 200h and not 300h, that's good (JP6)

It could also be an IRQ conflict with the timer : CheckIt did report HardDisk on IRQ5 but no timer in the IRQ table (there is "system timer" at IRQ0 but it must be another timer as it appears even with the controller off).
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14, 2018, 09:48 AM. Reason: thinking out loud...

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    Never soldered SMDs...

I could try to find a way to check the C800h address area with the controller on and their card off ?

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    I don't recognise that card, have you looked on Tularc to see if you can find it, might be worth a look, It's a shame the back of the card is not populated, The seller could have at least fitted R4 on the back so D800h could be used as an alternative address, That's what the pads are there for. What's your soldering like ?

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    I've upgraded to the R598 ide_xt.bin, with PIU enabled : still go without the controller card.

It must be the source of the problem. There is a lot of jumper on it... so sad I've got no papers, and no markings on the board !

I've started to look closer. The board seems to be divided in 4 parts :

The Floppy controller, around an UM8272A
    Connector labelled "DISK" on top of this part, the floppies were connected here.
    Controller-1.jpg

A real-time clock, around an MM58167AN, and the battery (flat, of course... I need to change it).
    Controller-2.jpg

Something... perhaps an "empty" hard drive controller ? the socket is empty, and there is a connector which wasn't used (labelled J23).
    Controller-3.jpg

Something else, which is probably the communication part, around a WD8250-PL, and with 3 outputs (game and serial on backplate, and LPT on J22).
    Controller-4.jpg

There is a bunch of jumpers, mostly on what the "what-could-be-for-hard-drive" area.
    There is also another one in the comms area, labelled JP6.

Here is my mystery machine !
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14, 2018, 07:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Sorry i forgot, the official ide_tiny.bin has no support for the lo-tech xt-cf, It doesn't have all the modules, use the ide.xt.bin from r591.

Originally posted by PePe-fr View Post
    I'll do that :

ide_tiny.bin (R591), and remove the controller card.

BTW, what are the particularities of the "tiny" version ?

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    Same data, after controller card removal (and first file coming from this XT to a modern computer !)

Code:
                              CheckIt 2.1 Activity Log
                              Serial Number: 00-063476
                                 1/1/1980 00:03:02

a
                                         b

=== CONFIGURATION INFORMATION ===

DOS Version: 5.00
             ROM BIOS: (Standard)                  BIOS Date: 12/23/83

Processor Type: 8088 XT Machine
     Math Coprocessor: Not Present
          Base Memory: 640K                        Available: 579K
      Extended Memory: None
      EXPANDed Memory: No EMS driver installed
        Video Adapter: CGA
        Video Address: B800h                  Video RAM Size: 16K
        Hard Drive(s): Drive 0 (Non-DOS) = 127M
      Floppy Drive(s): A:Present, B:Present
       Clock/Calendar: None
     Parallel Port(s): None
       Serial Port(s): None
                Mouse: None                      Joystick(s): No Game Port

=== INTERRUPT USAGE ===

INTERRUPT ASSIGNMENTS:                        +- DEVICES WITH NO IRQ -+
     IRQ 0  System Timer                           | None                  |
     IRQ 1  Keyboard                               |                       |
     IRQ 2  Available                              |                       |
     IRQ 3  Available                              |                       |
     IRQ 4  Available                              |                       |
     IRQ 5  Hard Disk                              +-----------------------+
     IRQ 6  Floppy Disk
     IRQ 7  Available                              STANDARD DMA ASSIGNMENTS:
                                                   DMA 0 RAM Refresh
                                                   DMA 1
                                                   DMA 2 Floppy Disk
                                                   DMA 3 Fixed Disk

=== MAIN SYSTEM BENCHMARK ===

+- CPU SPEED -+      +--- VIDEO SPEED ----+         +- MATH SPEED-+
       1.0K+     Model 30|  1.0K+                    |      10K+             |
       0.9K+             |  0.9K+                    |       9K+             |
       0.8K+             |  0.8K+                    |       8K+             |
       0.7K+     Turbo-10|  0.7K+                    |       7K+             |
       0.6K+             |  0.6K+                    |       6K+     @@@     |
       0.5K+             |  0.5K+        ___         |       5K+     @@@     |
       0.4K+             |  0.4K+        @@@         |       4K+     @@@     |
       0.3K+ @@@ PC, XT  |  0.3K+        @@@         |       3K+     @@@     |
       0.2K+ @@@         |  0.2K+        @@@         |       2K+     @@@     |
       0.1K+ @@@         |  0.1K+        @@@         |       1K+     @@@     |
         0 +-------------+    0 +--------------------+       0 +-------------+
         8088 CPU,  4.77 Mhz      CGA Video Adapter            No Coprocessor

+-+
                          344 Dhrystones |/| Determine CPU Speed
                                         +-+
                   520 Characters/Second |/| Determine Video Speed
                                         +-+
                         6.6K Whetstones |/| Determine Math Speed
                                         +-+

=== HARD DISK BENCHMARK ===

+--- SEEK TIME ---+                                  +- XFER SPEED -+
           |                 |                                  |              |
      2.0ms+                 |                              200K+              |
      1.8ms+   ___     ___   |                              180K+     @@@      |
      1.6ms+   @@@     @@@   |          Drive: 0 (Non-DOS)  160K+     @@@      |
      1.4ms+   @@@     @@@   |                              140K+     @@@      |
      1.2ms+   @@@     @@@   |      Cylinders: 247          120K+     @@@      |
      1.0ms+   @@@     @@@   |          Heads: 16           100K+     @@@      |
      0.8ms+   @@@     @@@   |  Sectors/Track: 63            80K+     @@@      |
      0.6ms+   @@@     @@@   |    Total Bytes: 127,475,712   60K+     @@@      |
      0.4ms+   @@@     @@@   |                               40K+     @@@      |
      0.2ms+   @@@     @@@   |                               20K+     @@@      |
        0  +-----------------+                                0 +--------------+
             Average  Track                                     Block Size: 507K
                                         +-+
                                   1.8ms |/| Determine Average Seek Time
                                         +-+
                                   1.8ms |/| Determine Track to Track Seek Time
                                         +-+
                           194.7K/Second |/| Determine Transfer Speed
                                         +-+
    The controller card :
    controller-card.jpg

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    Some REAL news :

I removed the controller card, and started the XT with a SD card prepared as always on a VM (at least to get the files in for the EPROM flash). Of course, I did not think that I wouldn't have any floppy disk, which was stupid as it's neccessary for me to flash from a floppy just to be able to go back if the EEPROM is not usable anymore.

So well, I tried some tests "as-is" with the current configuration (the R567 that I flashed for a previous test) and... it works ! read and write is OK.

SO :

I now have two possibilities (and one of them will perhaps fall by itself with your knowledge of XTIDE) :

A) there is a conflict in any way between the controller card and the "write" part of the process.
    B) I also saw that the BIOS was on "autodetect" for the floppies number, but proposed only A in the boot menu. Should it propose also B ? If it doesn't detect B, is it possible that there may be a conflict somehow ?

I did some mode diagnostics using CheckIt before removing the controller card :

Code:
    DOS Version: 5.0
    ROM BIOS: (Standard)
    BIOS Date : 12/23/83

Processor Type: 8088 XT Machine
    Math Coprocessor: Not Present
    Base Memory: 640K
    Extended Memory: None
    EXPANDed Memory: No EMS driver installed
    Video Adapter: CGA
    Video Address: B800h
    Video RAM Size: 16K

Code:
    INTERRUPT ASSIGNMENTS:
    IRQ 0 System Timer
    IRQ 1 Keyboard
    IRQ 2 Available
    IRQ 3 Available
    IRQ 4 COM1
    IRQ 5 Hard Disk
    IRQ 6 Floppy Disk
    IRQ 7 LPT1
    Will do the test again now, to see how the IRQ table looks like.
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14, 2018, 05:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    I'll do that :

ide_tiny.bin (R591), and remove the controller card.

BTW, what are the particularities of the "tiny" version ?

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Yep, I've been using r591 since it was released, I have a sony v20 in my 5160 and also use BIU mode with no problems, Though a couple of days ago i upgraded to r598 but i haven't touched it since.

Leave a comment:

• dJOS
    replied
    Originally posted by Malc View Post
    I'd probably start by taking the xt clone down to the bare minimum you can, ie: remove all the cards you can except for the video and go from there, And flash the XTIDE eeprom with the ide_tiny.bin from r591
    I recommend r591, it works great on my Tandy 1000 EX. I use the XTP version as I've dropped in an Nec v20 CPU. I also use BIU mode as it's faster too. Make sure you don't enable DMA mode, it isn't supported by this particular card.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Originally posted by PePe-fr View Post
    ...EDIT : the seller answered an inquiry yesterday night, writing that the board he sells were tested on 2 computer (one XT and one Tandy 1000 with 2 different CF Cards), doing 10 read/write tests on each.
    I'd probably start by taking the xt clone down to the bare minimum you can, ie: remove all the cards you can except for the video and go from there, And flash the XTIDE eeprom with the ide_tiny.bin from r591

Leave a comment:

• dJOS
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    The photos that I see of circa 1990 Seagate IDE controllers, such as the ST05X, ST07A, ST08A, show no pin 20.
    It was part of the controller standard and the cabling standard.

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    The computer I successfully tried the device on was a pentium, running Win95.

I don't have any chance of finding another XT in the area. Those machines were not very common in France, and mine was purchased during an overseas trip in the 80s in Singapore.
    I need to find data about the core of my system to go further (I guess that it's not possible just to plug in any IBM or clone XT BIOS on my motherboard and go ahead successfully !).

The motherboard looks like this one but without any brand label on it appart from the sticker of the S/N from Syntax Computers :

(the second from this page : http://minuszerodegrees.net/xt_clone...clone_bios.htm )

Another option could be to unplug the controller card for a test, if any conflict is present. My interrogation comes from the fact that there seem to be quite a lot of stuff on this board, including a game port, the (dead) battery, floppy and parallel connectors and another DB25 port which is a male one (don't know what it does). I wonder if the system can run without it.

EDIT : the seller answered an inquiry yesterday night, writing that the board he sells were tested on 2 computer (one XT and one Tandy 1000 with 2 different CF Cards), doing 10 read/write tests on each.
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14, 2018, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by dJOS View Post
    ... pin20 was dropped on the UDMA IDE controller standard (ATA-4) that used the 80 wire cables, before that it was standard.
    The photos that I see of circa 1990 Seagate IDE controllers, such as the ST05X, ST07A, ST08A, show no pin 20.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    What spec is the computer the card works in, an AT or XT, If it's an AT i would not completely rule out the possibility of a bad IC, Glitch came across a problem where an XTIDE card would work in an AT but not in an XT due to a bad IC, Though it could be something odd with your XT clone, I'm pretty sure Modem7 has some clone XT bios's on his website minuszerodegrees.net if you can burn your own eproms.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X