Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dJOS
    replied
    Originally posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a lo-tech ISA card with XTIDE BIOS on it.

I have several issues (perhaps because I used a virtual machine to partition the CF drive ?) the XT can boot, access and read the CF card but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.

Is the dev still active on this project ? As far as I saw, the latest release was R580, even if most download links point to the R566.
    I'm quite lost, as I wasn't able to find a changelog to help me choose the right version for my system !
    r591 is the latest I found - partitioning a cf card on a different machine isnt ideal, I'd recommend on a modern PC:

1. Put the Compact flash card in the reader and open an elevated command prompt. "Right click and Run as administrator"
    2. Type Diskpart.
    3. Type List Disk. "Find the number for your CF card"
    4. Type Select Disk "" <--- Your CF card number.
    5. Type Clean

Once this is done you can move over to your retro PC and fdisk & format it there.

Leave a comment:

• xp2002
    replied
    Originally posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Hi,
    ... but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.
    I would try another CFcard; I had those problems too with the malinov card(s), but most of the time it's because an incompatible CFcard.
    Try a 256MB Sandisk for example.

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    Hi,

I just bought a lo-tech ISA card with XTIDE BIOS on it.

I have several issues (perhaps because I used a virtual machine to partition the CF drive ?) the XT can boot, access and read the CF card but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.

Is the dev still active on this project ? As far as I saw, the latest release was R580, even if most download links point to the R566.
    I'm quite lost, as I wasn't able to find a changelog to help me choose the right version for my system !

Leave a comment:

• VileR
    replied
    Originally posted by aitotat View Post
    After thinking some more there is maybe a better alternative than to preserve system INT 19h handler. The XUB reset handler could first try to boot from floppy drive A and if it fails, then do the warm boot. If I understood correctly what you are trying to do (capture INT 10h for booter games) then that should be all that is needed and there would be little or no harm if some ill behaving program uses INT 19h for rebooting.
    Yes, all I need for my (admittedly marginal) use case is the ability to load and jump to the boot sector in A:, without altering the environment. What happens if that fails is a "don't-care condition" for me so your suggestion sounds good, even if I'm not sure what the implications are for misbehaving programs.

Leave a comment:

• dJOS
    replied
    Originally posted by aitotat View Post
    After thinking some more there is maybe a better alternative than to preserve system INT 19h handler. The XUB reset handler could first try to boot from floppy drive A and if it fails, then do the warm boot. If I understood correctly what you are trying to do (capture INT 10h for booter games) then that should be all that is needed and there would be little or no harm if some ill behaving program uses INT 19h for rebooting.
    I was wondering if maybe I was being dense, but I was thinking why dont you change the boot order to A then C - This is how I have my 1000 EX configured.

Leave a comment:

• aitotat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aitotat
    replied
    XTIDE Universal BIOS does initialization and drive detection on INT 19h. It was necessary because some XT systems (I think it was Tandy 1000 SX) don't have timers initialized during ROM scan so detection timeouts didn't work. The detection INT 19h handler then needs to be replaced with something else. The simple reset handler make sure system is properly reset so nothing messes with drive swapping etc.

I could make the necessary modifications to preserve system INT 19h handler now that there is a need to do so. I hope it won't cause any problems when trying to reset the system improperly.

Leave a comment:

• VileR
    replied
    Yep, I considered doing that but it strikes me as bad form... and I do think my code may be useful for others with the same issue I'm trying to fix (badly centered CGA output on TV), so I want to assume as little as possible about the system or its BIOS, for the same reason that I want it to work both with and without XTIDE. But thanks for checking those locations!

In the end I couldn't help feeling adventurous so I added my own minimal int 19h substitute after all, and so far it seems to work (still needs testing with a bunch of booters). But it'd be nice if the XUB didn't force me to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Trixter
    replied
    The real fix is to amend the XUB, but because I know you're working with IBM PCs, you might be able to cheat: When the BIOS starts up, it populates the interrupt table from preset values in ROM at f000:fef3. The interrupt 19 offset is located at f000:ff15 so you could JMP to F000??? from the value you find there. The IBM 5150 and 5160 BIOSes all have their default interrupt vector tables at f000:fef3. I can't speak for other BIOSes, but I checked the Tandy 1000 BIOS and the vector table appears to be there as well. In all three BIOSes, the value e6f2 is found at that location, so it looks like at least some BIOSes of the 1980s tried to keep int 19h at f000:e6f2. So, JMP there and see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• VileR
    replied
    Hope this is a good place to ask:

I have some code that uses INT 19h to bootstrap the system - load a boot sector (starting with drive A) and execute it, without resetting the interrupt vector table.

However, on my 5160 equipped with XTIDE Universal BIOS (v2.0.0b3), my code fails because XUB points INT 19h to its own handler. That handler seems to perform a full warm boot, which restores the default IVT. Without the XUB loaded, the code is working as expected.

My question: is there still a way to invoke the original BIOS's INT 19h handler even if the XUB is present? Is the original vector preserved anywhere? My program runs from a floppy in A: and is only used to bootstrap from another floppy, so the XTIDE need not be involved really. I'd like it to work regardless of the absence or presence of an XTIDE and how it's configured.

I suppose I could roll my own routine to do what INT 19h is supposed to do, but I'm not a fan of gratuitous redundancy (plus it'd complicate my program, because that routine couldn't reside in the boot sector with the rest of the code). Any tips appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    No idea whats happening with the Site/Domain, I have attached the latest official revision of the XUB binaries r591, The only difference being is that i have removed the 'Beta' designation and replaced it with the build revision, I could never remember what revision i had on any PC i have using the XUB.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 48kRAM
    replied
    Anybody know the current status of the site? The domain expired on the 13th of this month. Will it be brought back online?

Does anybody have a mirror of the code or binaries for XTIDE? I can only find very old versions available online.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Krille
    replied
    Let's see, the 3Com Etherlink III ISA (aka 3C509/3C509B) cards supports up to 10 MHz ISA bus operation so ideally you would want an EEPROM with a speed rating of 100 ns or faster but you would probably be OK with a 120 ns part as well since most machines run the ISA bus at 8-8.33 MHz. It needs to be at least 8 KB but 16 KB would be preferable so you can use the Large builds of the BIOS. You could use an EPROM but you will want an EEPROM for easier reprogramming (as there's no need for an UV eraser with EEPROMs). Makes it easier to do upgrades or configuration changes.

As for programming the ROM, basically any programmer should be able to do it - the MiniPro TL866CS USB programmer seems to be popular and is fairly cheap. Depending on where you live there might be a friendly forum member with a suitable ROM programmer that could help you as well. (Hint: put your location in the forum profile settings).

The BIOS to use would be one of the AT-builds since your machine seems to be a 386. Use the latest version available from www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries (currently r591). "AT-builds" means either ide_at.bin (small build - no boot menu), ide_atl.bin (large build - with boot menu) or ide_386.bin (small build - no boot menu).

Note that there are other differences between small and large builds, not just the lack/presence of the boot menu (see www.xtideuniversalbios.org for more, albeit slightly out-of-date info). If you feel adventurous you can also checkout the sources and do a custom build yourself.

Either way you do it, remember to configure the BIOS-file using the configurator (XTIDECFG.COM) before flashing it. The simplest way is usually to load the file and select "Configure XTIDE Universal BIOS" | "Auto Configure" options on the intended machine (a drive must be connected to the IDE interface you're going to use for the autodetection to work). You will also need to run 3C5X9CFG.EXE (supplied on the driver disks from 3Com) to reconfigure the network card to enable the BOOT ROM socket and select the proper ROM size option.

Leave a comment:

• Irate.Overlord
    replied
    Hey guys, I'm new to this, but I have been pointed here since I think this BIOS will solve my problems. I have a Tandy 2500 SX/33 and its kinda fussy over drives. I do have a 3com Etherlink III ISA card that supports a DIL28 PROM. How do I get the PROM and flash it to this BIOS?

Leave a comment:

• irix
    replied
    Originally posted by dJOS View Post
    I only used it temporarily to setup some c.f. Cards while I was waiting for my Tandy 1000ex computer to arrive.
    Cool, well, they do work, but for me they're never a permanent solution.
    Currently I've made a step into the memory problem, on another (same make & model) mainboard the memorytests all pass. So there are config (probably jumper related) problems on the other 2 boards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X