Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malc View Post
    Yes should be fine, ( Famous last words ) Seriously though i never had any problems reading the old hard drive as a slave and copying data to the new drive. As i said you won't be able to boot from the old (slave) hard drive but once you have all the data off you could wipe the drive / fdisk / partion and format and use the drive as a slave if you wanted to.
    OK, thank you very much!

Comment

Hello all again.

So I also switched my configuration to running off a CF card. With the old 1.1.5 BIOS, I copied everything on my hard drive over to my CF card, and I had my system running well with just my CF card as the master. So then I attempted to update the BIOS with the plan to reformat my CF card after this.

So I plugged the CF card into my Windows 8 laptop, downloaded the XUB 2.0.0 Beta 3 from here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/xt...bios/downloads

I couldn't find out which actual release it was. Please point me to where I should be downloading it please if this is wrong.

I copied over the BIOS files to the CF card, plugged it back into my IBM 5150, and booted from it. I located to the XTIDE BIOS directory I just created on it, and flashed my BIOS.

I pretty much left it with its default settings. It did identify my XTIDE as Rev 1 correctly.

It looks like the flash worked just fine.

20170311_204630 (Medium).jpg

I rebooted, to find that the menu from 1.1.5 was now gone. It basically shows the line of items on the top, but it proceeds so fast, I can't use any of the hotkeys. It defaults to booting off C: (which is my CF card), but then says:

20170311_205331 (Medium).jpg

I was under the impression that it would give me a few seconds to choose which device to boot from. I've tried several times to try to get it to boot from A, which is my DOS 5.0 floppy, so I can partition the CF with the new BIOS. Unfortunately I can't. I just hit the "A" key as soon as this menu comes up, right?

Does anyone have any idea why it's not finding my OS? Is it directly because of the new BIOS reorganizing the layout of the CF, and thus looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes View Post
        Does anyone have any idea why it's not finding my OS? Is it directly because of the new BIOS reorganizing the layout of the CF, and thus looking in the wrong place?
        That's quite likely, particularly with old OSes, as they tend to use CHS addressing, rather than LBA. That used to bug me back in the day--my old HP Vectra P1 system insisted on remapping IDE drives to have 254 heads, while everyone else used 255. Create a hard disk setup on one system and plug the drive into the Vectra and urp! No soap. Very irritating.
        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I was under the impression that it would give me a few seconds to choose which device to boot from. I've tried several times to try to get it to boot from A, which is my DOS 5.0 floppy, so I can partition the CF with the new BIOS. Unfortunately I can't. I just hit the "A" key as soon as this menu comes up, right?
          Late last year, member giobbi upgraded to a 2.x version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS, and discovered no boot menu.
          The answer was to recompile the BIOS with the BOOT_MENU module added.
          The posts about that start at [here].

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
            That's quite likely, particularly with old OSes, as they tend to use CHS addressing, rather than LBA. That used to bug me back in the day--my old HP Vectra P1 system insisted on remapping IDE drives to have 254 heads, while everyone else used 255. Create a hard disk setup on one system and plug the drive into the Vectra and urp! No soap. Very irritating.
            Ok, thanks. I'll focus my efforts on getting the cf partitioned and formatted. Unfortunately, I've been able to get the timing right to get it to boot to a: but detection the cf has been erratic with the xub 2.0.0b3. If I can't get it to work, I may just go back to 1.1.5 since that worked great for my setup. I did want to do your speed mod, though.

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
            Late last year, member giobbi upgraded to a 2.x version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS, and discovered no boot menu.
            The answer was to recompile the BIOS with the BOOT_MENU module added.
            The posts about that start at [here].
            Ok, thanks for the link! I just took a look at it, and I definitely feel the menu going away was not good, at least for me. I sometimes spend a year away from my pc, and I'm likely to be confused again coming back to it. A menu makes it nice and easy. I'll read more of the thread. I definitely never would have found it buried in that general thread.

Comment

If you really want the Boot Menu I have attached a copy of the latest R591 IDE_XT.BIN with Boot Menu instead of the Hot Key bar, I have removed MODULE_SERIAL MODULE_SERIAL_FLOPPY.
              Attached Files

Comment

If you really want the Boot Menu I have attached a copy of the latest R591 IDE_XT.BIN with Boot Menu instead of the Hot Key bar, I have removed MODULE_SERIAL MODULE_SERIAL_FLOPPY.
                Cool, thank you very much! I'll give this a try once I get my newly flashed 2.0.0b3 xtide to recognize my cf again.

Comment

I wouldn't bother farting about with 2.0.0b3, The XUB has come a long way since then, Lots of fixes etc. As i said before you will not be able to boot from the drive which was previously configured with 1.1.5 and then updated to a newer Revision of the XUB, The consequences are 'Missing Operating System'.

I'd re-flash the EEPROM with R591 - Reboot - FDISK / Partition and format the drive and install your OS, Fit your old drive as a slave and hopefully you will be able to copy data over to the new drive.

Comment

I wouldn't bother farting about with 2.0.0b3, The XUB has come a long way since then, Lots of fixes etc. As i said before you will not be able to boot from the drive which was previously configured with 1.1.5 and then updated to a newer Revision of the XUB, The consequences are 'Missing Operating System'.

I'd re-flash the EEPROM with R591 - Reboot - FDISK / Partition and format the drive and install your OS, Fit your old drive as a slave and hopefully you will be able to copy data over to the new drive.
                    Ok. I was thinking the R591 was still fundamentally based on v2.0.0b3. If it's got lots of new stuff in it, I'll try to update it before I proceed.

Thanks!

Comment

OK, so here's an update.

I re-flashed my XTIDE Rev 1 board with the R591 BIOS that Malc kindly provided. That seemed to work without errors.

I rebooted, and it detected my CF card as MASTER - so far so good.

I did "FDISK /MBR", and then FDISK to create the primary DOS partition (2GB on a 4GB CF card). Rebooted to DOS in A:, and formatted the C: drive with "FORMAT C: /S" to transfer the system to it.

I rebooted, and tried to boot C:, and it froze at the "Booting C>>C" message.

I restarted, and when the XTIDE menu comes up, it detects the drive on the CF card, but says its capacity is "32.2GiB". Freezes again at the "Booting C>>C" message.

Restarted again, and at the XTIDE menu, it says the CF card is now "3915.3 MiB", and freezes at the "Booting C>>C" message again.

Restarted again, and at the XTIDE menu, it says the CF card name is now "R ATA FLASH" (previously it said it was "LEXAR ATA FLASH"), and its size is now "95.9 MiB". This time, when it tries to boot, is says:

Booting C>>C
                      Boot sector not found
                      Booting A>>A

and it boots to A: which seems to work fine. When I try to look at the partitions with FDISK, it says "No partitions defined".

Wow, looks like some kind of corruption going on.

----

Now remember, this exact setup (I have not unplugged anything, nor moved anything) was working perfectly with BIOS 1.1.5, running just the CF card as MASTER. The only thing I have done is remove the CF card a few times.

To recap, I'm running a XTIDE Rev 1 card (no Chuck speed mod) on an IBM 5150, using a CF adapter on a card slot bracket, at the end (MASTER) position on an 80-wire IDE cable, and jumpered as "MASTER" on the CF adapter. The CF card I'm using is an Ativa labeled 4GB, and it was actually working as a slave way at one point back with BIOS 1.1.5, which seems pretty rare.
                      Last edited by Holmes; March 13, 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Why did you run FDISK /MBR and then FDISK and partiton the drive. Try this, download WipeDisk and run it from a DOS boot floppy, reboot and run FDISK and partition the drive, Reboot and run FDISK again check that the drive was partitioned 2Gb or less.

Comment

Another reason why I prefer DOMs over CFs.
                          PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                            I don't own any DOM's, Never had one, I've always used CF with no real problems.

Comment

Why did you run FDISK /MBR and then FDISK and partiton the drive. Try this, download WipeDisk and run it from a DOS boot floppy, reboot and run FDISK and partition the drive, Reboot and run FDISK again check that the drive was partitioned 2Gb or less.
                              I wasn't sure if the physical disk layout changes with the new BIOS would cause a problem with the MBR, so I just recreated it, as it was a critical component of making the CF work in the first place. I presumed it wouldn't do any harm.

OK, thanks for the link. I'll give it a try. So you think something got corrupted with the partition table?

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                              I actually want the CF on this machine, because it's a convenient way for me to transfer files back and forth.

--------------------------------------------

Is there anything on the actual configuration of the BIOS that could be messed up? I left it as default, and checked things over from a high level, and things looked okay, but I really don't know what I'm looking at with all the detailed settings.

Comment

I actually want the CF on this machine, because it's a convenient way for me to transfer files back and forth.
                                Everything was working fine before you tried this BIOS upgrade, wasn't it?
                                PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Working...
                                X