Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone
    replied
    There are two (easy) ways to make a bootable system disk.

For either method you need to boot from the system you want to transfer to a floppy disk.

After you have booted from that system, either from a floppy or a hard drive:

1) FORMAT A: or B: /s

2) SYS A: or B:

That's it.

Just copying the files does not suffice -- they need to be installed via method 1 or 2.

So, you will need to have a 5" floppy drive in the system you want to make the bootable disk in.

There are other methods and possibilities that are waaaaay more complicated and involved, e.g., image files, etc., and image conversions.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    So nothing's easy, is it?

I tried making my 5.25" floppy boot for DOS 6.22. It didn't work. It gave me a "non-system disk or disk error" when I tried to boot it.

Here's what I did:

1) boot IBM 5150 with DOS 5.0 via floppy
    2) format new disk using just "FORMAT" on DOS 5.0
    3) booted my transfer laptop with DOS 6.22 on floppy and ran FASTLYNX
    4) loaded up FASTLYNX on my IBM 5150 (connected to laptop via parallel port)
    5) in FASTLYNX, I transferred all the MSDOS 6.22 boot files over (COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and a few utilities like FDISK, XCOPY, etc) directly to the newly formatted 5.25" floppy in the 5150
    6) rebooted the 5150

What did I do wrong? Was it booting the 5150 with DOS 5.0 and formatting with that that caused the problem? Do I need to do more than just copy the needed files over?

Maybe I'll try formatting with the "/S" switch to transfer the system, and then overwriting the system files with those from 6.22. Or try writing directly from the disk image to the disk.

Aaaarrghhh!
    Last edited by Holmes; March 17, 2017, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    I even have MS-DOS 7.x (from WIN99 on a 360K disk. Of course it won't work in the PC or XT since it requires a 386 to run. But it works fine on my 386, 486 and Pentuim machines.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Stone View Post
    There's nothing to try there. It's a standard item. I have lots of those exact disks... I use them on my PC and XT all the time.
    OK, cool. I was afraid I'd get some bogus error message. This will resolve this issue for me then, as I won't have to boot MSDOS 5.0 then when I need to do a backup XCOPY.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by Holmes View Post
    ...I'll give the making a dos 6.22 boot disk on 5.25 floppy method a try first...
    There's nothing to try there. It's a standard item. I have lots of those exact disks... I use them on my PC and XT all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    The leading zero IS required -- been there done that.

I've never used the /f or /l.

Try pulling the SB. (I'd say the EGA as well if you have a mono or even CGA replacement for it.)
    Actually my cf card has been running well for the past several days, so I'm not going to go through Herculean efforts to get this dosver method to work. I'll give the making a dos 6.22 boot disk on 5.25 floppy method a try first. This is the hardware configuration I like on this IBM PC. I don't want to start pulling cards right now.

Thanks for the help, though!

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    The leading zero IS required -- been there done that.

I've never used the /f or /l.

Try pulling the SB. (I'd say the EGA as well if you have a mono or even CGA replacement for it.)

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    Sounds like your machine just can't run it. What machine is it?

It never locks for me no matter how I abuse it.

Try... 'DOSVER /v06.22' just to see what happens.

Test the ZIP file it came in.
    It's an IBM PC 5150, with AST Six Pack Plus (with 384KB), IBM EGA Adapter (with 64KB), XTIDE Rev 1, SoundBlaster (don't recall the model), and floppy drive controller.

I tried that exact command (even with the leading zero), based on the info.txt file that was in the ZIP. It locked my machine up as well. Tried it also with the "/F" in addition to the "/V06.22" and did the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Sounds like your machine just can't run it. What machine is it?

It never locks for me no matter how I abuse it.

Try... 'DOSVER /v06.22' just to see what happens.

Test the ZIP file it came in.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    The syntax might be a little tricky. It took me a few tries to get it right. If you post what you've tried I'll have a look and see if it looks acceptable. If not, I'll post a suggestion. I've incorporated mine into a batch file so after it loads, does it's thing, it then unloads itself. I'm a neatnik. I will add that it never locks up for me. What happens when you run {DOSVER/?}?
    I tried it without parameters, with "/?" to get help, with "/F" to prevent loading of the international character set, and all of them lock my computer up with a weird character at he bottom (a bit like an equals sign over top of a number 4).

Of course you can. All you need to do is either...

FORMAT A:/s with a new disk, or

SYS A: with an already formatted disk.

Of course, all this is assuming you have booted from a drive with 6.22 on it.
    I have a disk image of minimal DOS 6.22 boot, and I will transfer it to my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop , so I can transfer the files over to my IBM 5150 via FASTLYNX and a parallel cable. I'm guessing I'll just have to format the 5.25" floppy drive with DOS 5.0, and then transfer over the necessary files from 6.22 (COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, etc).

I'll post if it works, and if not, I'll grab some screen images of my problems with DOSVER, and maybe I'll try that route again.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Ok, so I tried dosver, and when I run it, it locks my computer up. It displays the program banner, and then freezes at some weird character like a "4" or something. I tried running it with the /f flag to restrict loading the special character set, and it still does the same thing.
    The syntax might be a little tricky. It took me a few tries to get it right. If you post what you've tried I'll have a look and see if it looks acceptable. If not, I'll post a suggestion. I've incorporated mine into a batch file so after it loads, does it's thing, it then unloads itself. I'm a neatnik. I will add that it never locks up for me. What happens when you run {DOSVER/?}?

Can I make a dos 6.22 boot floppy on a 5.25 disk? Then I could just boot into 6.22 when I need to do copying. I searched for it, but all I could find was references to 5.25 install floppies. Update: I did find a website with minimal boot disk images, and the one for dos 6.22 is under 360KB, so I'll give it a try.
    Of course you can. All you need to do is either...

FORMAT A:/s with a new disk, or

SYS A: with an already formatted disk.

Of course, all this is assuming you have booted from a drive with 6.22 on it.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    You can use any version of XCOPY (or anything else for that matter) you would like to with any version of DOS. I use DOSVER to accommodate it.

http://ansis.lv/dosver/index.en.php
    Ok, so I tried dosver, and when I run it, it locks my computer up. It displays the program banner, and then freezes at some weird character like a "4" or something. I tried running it with the /f flag to restrict loading the special character set, and it still does the same thing.

I tried running the dos 6.22 version of xcopy, and it gives that "wrong dos version" error that is really annoying.

Can I make a dos 6.22 boot floppy on a 5.25 disk? Then I could just boot into 6.22 when I need to do copying. I searched for it, but all I could find was references to 5.25 install floppies. Update: I did find a website with minimal boot disk images, and the one for dos 6.22 is under 360KB, so I'll give it a try.
    Last edited by Holmes; March 16, 2017, 02:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    You can use any version of XCOPY (or anything else for that matter) you would like to with any version of DOS. I use DOSVER to accommodate it.

Cool, thank you! I will give that a try.

I tested my windows-copied-frankensetup-cf, and I think it worked, but it just seems really slow to boot, for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Now I've just got to figure out how to clone over my hard drive to my CF. I tried XCOPY, but the version on MSDOS 5.0 doesn't have the /H flag to copy hidden files.

Leave a comment:

• Holmes
    replied
    Originally posted by ibmapc View Post
    You're not the only one to think so. I can't get any version newer than R588 to work reliably on mine!
    I believe with my situation, it's a timing issue because I can get the newest version to work if i don't use "Turbo Mode" on my machine.

You might want to give R588 a try. It has most of the benifits of r591, including "High Speed Mode".
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm done with trying XUB 2.0.0+. The beta-3 didn't work, and the R591 didn't work either, so I'm not enthusiastic about an intermediate version working.

Now I've just got to figure out how to clone over my hard drive to my CF. I tried XCOPY, but the version on MSDOS 5.0 doesn't have the /H flag to copy hidden files. I installed MS Word on this hard drive, and it doesn't work unless it finds those secret hidden Microsoft files that validate the install.

XCOPY, XXCOPY, CP, XWCPY, ... ???!?!?? The choices are endless.

I just tried connecting the hard drive to an IDE-to-USB adapter, and connected it to my Windows 8.1 laptop, and opened up a command-window and did an XCOPY (using the /H hidden attribute) with this setup to my CF card. I'll see if it worked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X