Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone
    replied
    Have you tried FDISK/MBR?

Leave a comment:

• Denniske1976
    replied
    I've tried booting from a DOS floppy and when I run FDISK I get "Error reading fixed disk". Weird, because the flash drive is formatted and installed with IBM PC-DOS 5.02 and I have been using it in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 with no problems. I tried another flash disk I have (new in package) and that one, when starting C>>C, will show "Starting MS-DOS" and then hangs. And again, when starting from a boot disk and running FDISK I get "Error reading fixed disk" again.

BTW: that third line with "Master at 0h: not found", could that be part of the problem? I can't remember that being there when I used the controller in that 8530 286 computer, that only showed Master at 300h and Slave at 300h.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Try booting from a floppy and then checking the flash drive.

Leave a comment:

• Denniske1976
    replied
    Hey guys, it's me again... with a new XT-IDE question:

I've just dug up an old IBM 5170 with the original ST-4026 kaputt. Tried another ST-4026 I had, also kaputt So I figured I'd use my XT-IDE Rev2 card in it... I ran the IBM AT Diagnostics/Setup disc and set the system options, date/time, one 1.2MB floppy drive, IBM Mono Adapter and amount of fixed disks to 0. Then I rebooted the machine and all looks to be fine, it counts 256K memory, then loads the XT-IDE BIOS and after that boots C>>C but it hangs there... just keeps a flashing cursor for ever:

xtide-5170.jpg

Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Thanks Guys I just got it working, I wiped the CF card and rebuilt on the P4, I built a new bios R567 IDE_XT.bin without MODULE_SERIAL and MODULE_SERIAL_FLOPPY, Plugged the CF card in the XT and flashed the new bios, On boot up i got an error and i can't believe i've forgotten it already but it was something like " Error loading operating system", So i built another bios same as above but including MODULE_VERY_LATE_INIT, I re-flashed the bios and the 5160 booted into dos no problem, I'll test it more over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    FDISK from DOS 5 or above ( /MBR switch introduced in MS-DOS 5 )?

And the CF was appearing to the system as hard drive 0 ( FDISK /MBR only targets hard drive 0 )?
    Dos 6.22 and just the 1 CF card in the machine.

Originally posted by Krille View Post
    Malc, are you sure they are both r567? Small or large builds? Custom or official builds? I seem to recall you using a custom XT_TINY build on the 5160?

Did you compare the output of BIOSDRVS between the two computers?
    Good Point, 486 is definitely R567 I thought i upgraded the XT but not sure now, No haven't used BIOSDRVS , Will try it later over the weekend.

Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
    malc, how's your Linux? I'm wondering if you could make available the first MB or so of the CompactFlash card in both states, i.e. Created and working on the 5160, and secondly created and working on the later machine. After setting it up, you can capture the data using dd,

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=cfcard1.img bs=1M count=1

(Assuming the card appears as sdb, you can check with lsblk).
    My Linux skills are non existant, Never used it, I keep thinking i'll try it one day but never get around to it.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by Krille View Post
    Regarding FDISK /MBR;

Any messages (errors or otherwise) coming after the "Booting" message (e.g. "Booting CC") means that the BIOS has successfully loaded the MBR (for harddrives) or boot sector (for floppies) and transferred execution to it.

So if the code in the MBR or boot sector is able to output an error message like "Missing operating system" then no amount of FDISK /MBR is going to help. At best it will do nothing, at worst it will corrupt data on the drive.
    That's not my experience at all. On numerous occasions I've gotten that exact message while booting and fixed it with FDISK/MBR.

Leave a comment:

• pearce_jj
    replied
    malc, how's your Linux? I'm wondering if you could make available the first MB or so of the CompactFlash card in both states, i.e. Created and working on the 5160, and secondly created and working on the later machine. After setting it up, you can capture the data using dd,

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=cfcard1.img bs=1M count=1

(Assuming the card appears as sdb, you can check with lsblk).

Leave a comment:

• Krille
    replied
    Regarding FDISK /MBR;

Any messages (errors or otherwise) coming after the "Booting" message (e.g. "Booting CC") means that the BIOS has successfully loaded the MBR (for harddrives) or boot sector (for floppies) and transferred execution to it.

So if the code in the MBR or boot sector is able to output an error message like "Missing operating system" then no amount of FDISK /MBR is going to help. At best it will do nothing, at worst it will corrupt data on the drive.

Leave a comment:

• pearce_jj
    replied
    Seems that there might be a translation related issue in the BIOS affecting on small cards. There was a similar issue posted last week with (I think) a 32MB card.

Leave a comment:

• Krille
    replied
    Malc, are you sure they are both r567? Small or large builds? Custom or official builds? I seem to recall you using a custom XT_TINY build on the 5160?

Did you compare the output of BIOSDRVS between the two computers?

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by Malc View Post
    Yup that's what i did, " fdisk /mbr " and no joy.
    FDISK from DOS 5 or above ( /MBR switch introduced in MS-DOS 5 )?

And the CF was appearing to the system as hard drive 0 ( FDISK /MBR only targets hard drive 0 )?

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Yup that's what i did, " fdisk /mbr " and no joy.

Leave a comment:

• Trixter
    replied
    You need to do "fdisk /mbr" on the XT, so that XT-compatible boot code is written to the MBR. The hang you're experiencing is boot code that doesn't run on on an XT (ie. uses 286 or later CPU instructions).

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Thanks but didn't work, just hangs at " Booting C: " now, Tried " sys c: " also but no difference, I'll try building a new bios for the XT, Can't think what else to try at the mo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X