Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkydivinGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by SkydivinGirl View Post
    I haven't tried the ALT key so I'll test that this evening.
    ALT key during boot works perfectly so the bug only occurs when using F6 to start the serial scan. I really have to say that serdrive is amazing. Using a 460.8kbps serial connection is so much faster than a real floppy drive.

So far, the only other issue I have is a known problem with certain CF cards being used as a slave drive. I've only found two of the CF card models I have that work perfectly as a slave drive. Please let me know if there's anything else I can test or do to help with this project.

Thank you!

Heather

Leave a comment:

• SkydivinGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Krille View Post
    Thank you for reporting this bug, Heather. I've confirmed it but still haven't found when or where it broke (which revision). In case you don't know, you can use the ALT key during the end of drive detection to accomplish the same thing when needed.
    I haven't tried the ALT key so I'll test that this evening. I'm glad you were able to get the same results on your end.

Note that the boot menu code is included in the large builds only. I just tried the large AT build of beta 3 (ide_atl.bin) in Bochs and that works. What build were you using?
    I'm using the 8088 (ide_xtl.bin) code. The version where I had trouble with the boot menu not working was from the v2.0.0 beta3 build that is available on the Google code site.

Thanks so much for the amazing work being done on this!

Heather

Leave a comment:

• Krille
    replied
    Originally posted by SkydivinGirl View Post
    I've run into a problem with R567 XTIDE Universal BIOS 2.0.0 BETA 3+. Pressing F6 to search for serial drives no longer works on my XT-IDE Rev 2 with UART board. It works fine if I set the BIOS to always scan for serial drives, but that significantly slows down boot time when I'm not using it.
    Thank you for reporting this bug, Heather. I've confirmed it but still haven't found when or where it broke (which revision). In case you don't know, you can use the ALT key during the end of drive detection to accomplish the same thing when needed.

It worked perfectly on the older 2.0.0 BETA 3 bios that's on the Google code page. However, the boot menu didn't work when using that version.
    Note that the boot menu code is included in the large builds only. I just tried the large AT build of beta 3 (ide_atl.bin) in Bochs and that works. What build were you using?

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Originally posted by rittwage View Post
    I think DOS 6.22 will use too much RAM for a 5150. I think you don't want to go higher than DOS 3.3 with a 640k machine...
    With command.com in DOS 3.3 coming at 25308 bytes, and the same file in DOS 6.22 at 54645 bytes, the difference of 29337 seems to be all that terrible, and with most applications running on machines with 512Kb, or 640Kb,those differences aren't all that bad.

Now when it comes to games however, and some software titles that require more than 640 Kb minus the command.com in whatever version of DOS the system will be running, it may be more useful to run those titles directly from floppy. Then again, if the software takes up that much real estate in memory, then you probably want a computer that is capable of running it more effectively, like an IBM 5170 AT with 2 or 4 Mb of RAM. My personal preference for software I intend to run on my 5150, or 5160 XT computers, is that if I can't run it effectively without the need for running from floppy, then it needs to go onto a more powerful computer and I won't pretend that it was made for the environment. Ill look for another software title that does about the same thing but using the landscape that 640 Kb of RAM will support.

I'm definitely not trying to tell anyone what is best for them, just explain my own viewpoint on running software in a 640Kb environment. Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by rittwage View Post
    I think DOS 6.22 will use too much RAM for a 5150. I think you don't want to go higher than DOS 3.3 with a 640k machine...
    How much is it going to use that you say it will be too much? How much do you need on a 5150? And, with DOS 3.3, there is a 32 MB limit on partition size? Isn't that going to be a PITA on a 2 GB disk?

Leave a comment:

• rittwage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Again stone... Thanks. Now, if I try to use these as a guide, can I use a 2 GB CF card on a single partition, and load it up with all of the software I intend to run on that particular PC running DOS 6.22?

The PC is a standard IBM 5150 with a second version 64 - 256 Kb mother board, with an AST Six Pack Plus with all components installed and enabled. So now it has 640 Kb of RAM, a single floppy drive, CGA video controller; really nothing special other than the fact that it will have the XT-CF Lite installed when it arrives sometime during the week.

Are there any other recommendations anyone could suggest for using the XT-CF card in this setup? Eventually, I'm thinking about buying another of these cards for Alice, the other 5150 in my small collection of IBM machines. Will it work in combination with the dual floppy drives, and dual hard discs in this particular system? If you need more info regarding Alice, and what makes it up, in order to answer my question, please feel free to send me a private message.

Originally posted by Stone View Post
    DOS 6.xx (FAT16) has a 2.15 GB partition limit.

DOS 7.xx (FAT32) has a 127.53 GB volume limit.

Of course there are hardware limits that could prevent you from even realizing these DOS limitations on certain hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    I like to keep boot times to a minimum. I would just use one CF card and no serial anything.
    It's not something I've really taken much notice of, I usually switch on and go off to make coffee and a snack but I just fired my XT 5160 up and watched the clock, From switch on to C:> prompt was about 35 seconds, That's with a Minimal Custom build R567 Bios, XT-IDE R1 card with dual CF adapter and 2 128 MB CF cards fitted ( C and D ), Dos 6.22 on C:, 16-Bit VGA card, Floppy controller / Clock / Serial / Parallel card, Twin FH 360K floppy drives, Pretty good for an old girl me thinks.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by bettablue View Post
    What is the largest partition size DOS 6.22/7.0 can access without problems? Is there a table showing the largest partition size for the various versions of DOS?
    DOS 6.xx (FAT16) has a 2.15 GB partition limit.

DOS 7.xx (FAT32) has a 127.53 GB volume limit.

Of course there are hardware limits that could prevent you from even realizing these DOS limitations on certain hardware.

Leave a comment:

• SkydivinGirl
    replied
    I've run into a problem with R567 XTIDE Universal BIOS 2.0.0 BETA 3+. Pressing F6 to search for serial drives no longer works on my XT-IDE Rev 2 with UART board. It works fine if I set the BIOS to always scan for serial drives, but that significantly slows down boot time when I'm not using it.

It worked perfectly on the older 2.0.0 BETA 3 bios that's on the Google code page. However, the boot menu didn't work when using that version.

Any thoughts?

Heather

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Originally posted by Stone View Post
    Actually you could use all 256 MB with DOS 3.3. You just need 8 32MB partitions.
    Thanks stone, I remember reading about some of the limitations of different versions of DOS, and their largest accessible partition size.

What is the largest partition size DOS 6.22/7.0 can access without problems? Is there a table showing the largest partition size for the various versions of DOS?

As of right now, I want to locate a few smaller capacity CF cards so I can load different operating systems, software, and documents etc. I think the smallest one I have right now is 2 GB. There are several on E-Bay selling for about $5.99 with free shipping, but those are coming from China.

Leave a comment:

• rittwage
    replied
    I had all sorts of problems until I realized that while the IDE to CF adapters get enough power to "sort of" work sometimes, it is unreliable until you plug in the little mini-molex to power, instead of getting it the from the IDE connection.

Works fine now...

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally Posted by mac512
    Bettablue,

I installed a 256mb compactflash card in my xt-cf lite card. I wasn't able to use more than 32mb until i realized that dos 3.3 was the problem. I din't know that dos 3.3 has a 32mb limit for hard drives. I switched to dos 7 and now it is working great wih full 256mb access in my 5150. Hope you have the same problem so you can solve it easily.
    Actually you could use all 256 MB with DOS 3.3. You just need 8 32MB partitions.

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Yeah, thanks. I had figured that out too. However, I do have DOS 6.22 to play around with. From what I gather by reading what I could find, I can use up to an 8 GB flash card without any issues, AND with minimal partitioning.

I'm currently waiting for mine to get back to me. James Pearce asked me to return it to him so he could diagnose it for other problems it was experiencing. Since he offered to either repair/replace the card at no cost to me, how could I refuse? The XT-CF Lite was missing a capacitor, and one of the card readers pins was bent, so he fixed those issues, solidifying the bent pin with hot glue. (Nice touch to keep it from happening again). I'm just waiting for it to get back so I can reinstall it to my 5150 and begin transferring software and data to Alice, my other 5150, with attached expansion unit.

Woo Hoo!!! I can't wait.

Thanks again for the insight. Have a great weekend.

Tom

Originally posted by mac512 View Post
    Bettablue,

I installed a 256mb compactflash card in my xt-cf lite card. I wasn't able to use more than 32mb until i realized that dos 3.3 was the problem. I din't know that dos 3.3 has a 32mb limit for hard drives. I switched to dos 7 and now it is working great wih full 256mb access in my 5150. Hope you have the same problem so you can solve it easily.

Leave a comment:

• Great Hierophant
    replied
    That's a peculiar question. It's like asking "how long is a rope?". The answer is it depends. How many controllers and drives are in the system (under the control of XUB)? Which drives are being used (CF or harddrives, older or newer drives)? Which modules were included in the build (if using a custom build) and what settings are used (is the serial drive detection set to always scan and if so, how many serial ports are in the machine and is there a server connected, etc)?

It also depends on what you're comparing with. An earlier version of the BIOS? Booting from floppy? Generally speaking I would expect the boot time to be reduced in the latter case.

I'm also curious to know why it matters. Is there a problem with excessively long boot times?
    I like to keep boot times to a minimum. I would just use one CF card and no serial anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X