Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    my posts are moderated (my post-count seems not high enough), therefore my answers are not visible instantly...
    I started a thread in the a1k.org-forum with this modified bios. Is it possible to send me your Email-Address, i can send you the zip-archive with it.
    Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by hwarin View Post
      That was too late, SST was bricked and the M24 was not booting anymore, even from floppy. The EPROM programmer was the only solution to recover/erase it as I couldn't reach JP1 with the M24 powered on.
      I assume you have the Lo-tech ISA - CF adapter then, I thought you had the XT-IDE R2

I will for sure test this device type on the M24.
      Scratch that, You will need to Configure the XUB for "XT-CF PIO8" or "XT-CF PIO8 (BIU Offload)" for the Lo-tech adapter

Definitly, yes,
      I have attached 2 x 8k binaries in 1 ZIP, IDE_XT.BIN and IDE_XTP BIN, Both have the BOOT Menu and include Module_Very_Late_Init, Use the XTP for V20/30 cpu or the other for 8088.

I'm no programmer so i'll leave the "Int13hBiosInit_Handler:" Question for someone else.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Malc

I will try with this binary tonight and will report on success or Failure. The sidecar is only a small 8088; I won't use XTP version.

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Hi, all

I want to thank specially WallyB, Toms01, and Malc for their support on my issue. I was stuck since nearly 5 years on this, and it now starts to work.

==> Now, I need to run extensive tests to confirm the complete fix with this workaround.

From Malc's binary, I've applyed Toms01's recommendations : Patch Int13hBiosInit_Handler [10F7]
          [1105] was 75:0A (JNZ +0A) replaced by 90:90 (NOP NOP)
          [1FFF] Checksum updated to F8 (Don't know if it was mandatory)

A1060_boot_1.jpgA1060_boot_2.jpgA1060_boot_3.jpgPatched.zip

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Originally posted by hwarin View Post
            Hi, all

I want to thank specially WallyB, Toms01, and Malc for their support on my issue. I was stuck since nearly 5 years on this, and it now starts to work.

==> Now, I need to run extensive tests to confirm the complete fix with this workaround.

From Malc's binary, I've applyed Toms01's recommendations : Patch Int13hBiosInit_Handler [10F7]
            [1105] was 75:0A (JNZ +0A) replaced by 90:90 (NOP NOP)
            [1FFF] Checksum updated to F8 (Don't know if it was mandatory)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52065[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52066[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52067[/ATTACH][ATTACH]52068[/ATTACH]

Regards - Hervé
            Congratulations Hwarin. After 5 year wait, it must feel Great.
            I will try this myself, since I've never seen that Boot Menu on my Lo-Tech (looks handy). I believe I have R567-Late-Init on mine.

Comment

Hi, friends

I've run some intensive tests with my patched "LateInitialization" BIOS and I must conclude to a (complete ?) failure, as expected by Toms01.

1) Confirmed the fact that XT-CF Rev2 and IDE-XT bios "LateInitialization" is capable to work in the sidecar - That's a good starting point BUT insuficient for "Janus" (sidecar or BridgeBoard flaviour) complete operation
              2) Confirmed the fact that Janus does not work with XT-IDE bios due to initialization sequence of XT-IDE bios

So far, I'm nearly at the same point as 5 years ago, but, thanks to WallyB's support, and Toms01 intervention, and Malc for providing r601 VeryLateInit build, I'm absolutely certain that we'll can make it work in near future. My current issue is (as it was 5 years ago), in the setup of the entire toolchain as I've never practiced all those modern Tools - my 8086 code skill is absolutely 99% rusty and weak but I should be able to fix if I had the tooling.

What is "Janus" ? Janus is the "special" board with 128Kb of dual ported RAM that makes "the link" between Amiga world and PC compatible world. For PC world, it's a sort of expansion BIOS (located at E000:0 for XTs - dual port RAM) loaded by Amiga side to PC side at it's boot time. From Amiga terms, it's called "Janus handler"

What I've observed :
              1) With a regular WD1002 controler, Janus operation is correct
              If I trace INTs from DOS 3.20

INT13 => 70xxx (DOS)
              From DOS : Call far 70:[18CA]=>E000:0272 (we're going to Janus now)
              From Janus : Call far E000:[21DC]=>C800:0286 (we're going to WD1002 now) Notice, E000xxx is RAM, not ROM !
              From WD1002 : INT40 => F000:EC59 (we're going to BIOS) As expected, this is ROM so, it uses an INT.

INT19 => 70:2030 (DOS)
              From DOS
              - Restore INT13 to E000:0271 (Janus)
              - Restore INT19 to ???? (forgot to record ! To be tracked down)
              - Does INT19

2) With XT-CF Rev2 patched VeryLateInit (the only one giving an IDE-XT sign of live in the sidecar), Janus does not work at all
              If I trace INTs from DOS 3.20

INT13 => 70:0F97 (DOS)
              From DOS : Call far 70:[18CA]=>C800:185C (we're going to IDE-XT now and Janus was bypassed)
              From XT-IDE : Call far 30:[0000]=>F000:EC59 (we're going directly to BIOS)

INT19 => 70:2030 (DOS)
              From DOS
              - Restore INT13 to C800:185C (IDE-XT)
              - Restore INT19 to C800:11eC (IDE-XT)
              - Does INT19

=*=*==*=*=*=*=

From my understanding, XT-CF should
              - Hook INT13 and INT19 at expansion ROM initialization time (C800:3)
              - Restore INT13 and INT19 when it's INT19 is raised, then, cascade INT19 [or attempt to boot as does WD1002 from C800:026D ??]
              - Cascade INT13 to "previous owner" if request doesn't regards it's own HDD

So far, I've not found where, in the code, all this is performed

==> If a programmer could help, I (and the very small Amiga+(Sidecar|BridgeBoard) communauty users)) would greately appreciate efforts to support their future, when all MFM will die.
              ==> At worst, an working image of the entire tool chain may be of help and would avoid me to waste a long time to try to build the necessary setup.

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Hi Hervé,

yes, excellent observation. I repeat, we need a Early-INT13?-initialization in the XTIDE-BIOS (like Seagate-ST01/02 or WD-Controller).

Comment

Hi, just saw this thread, thought I should stop by for a moment and say that I really appreciate all the hard work to improve XTIDE Universal BIOS!
                  Speaking of the Janus issue, maybe some other flash device could help ? The DiskOnChip devices (DoC 2000 series) had their own boot-code.
                  Maybe they work with the Janus software or can provide some hints during debugging. Anyway, it's just an idea. I've got no Amiga for testing, sadly.
                  "Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
                  In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel

Comment

Thanks, Jo22 for your interest on my issue.

It's known that some CF devices won't work, but the issue was not about the flash device as it was tested successfully.

Here's the entire story : http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...478#post568478

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                      Received my v4 XT-IDE with slot-8 mod, however I'm in the middle of a project where I have 5160s and a Tandy 1000 set up and exploded all over the place. Once that's done, I'll set up a 6300 and get to testing.
                      So I finally got around to testing this, and did some benchmarks with a 4GB CF card using the 1.1.5 BIOS already on the glitchworks v4 card, and aside from not being able to boot directly off the CF card, it went well. The 1.1.5 BIOS displayed drives 80 and 81 in a menu (there's an MFM drive in the system) and booting from 80 or A: worked, and I could fdisk/format and run disktest and everything checked out. I figured not being able to boot off the CF card was due to LBA support in 1.1.5 so I didn't worry about it at the time.

Then I flashed r602 (from the 6300 itself) and now, on bootup, the v4 card can't see the CF card at all. Both Master and Slave (at 300h) show "not found". I was careful to load IDE_XT.BIN and change the card type to 6300/Olivetti M24, and not much else, and the flash appeared to be successful. Both J1/J2 jumpers on my board are set to compatibility mode (as opposed to hi-speed/chuckmod mode).

What am I missing? The card isn't bricked; the BIOS starts up fine, it just doesn't think there's anything on Master (when the 1.1.5 BIOS could see it just fine).

Also, I never saw a menu for picking the boot hard drive; was that removed between 1.1.5 and 2.0.0 b3, or did I miss another setting?
                      Offering a bounty for:
                      - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                      - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Set J1/J2 jumpers to Hi speed mode, See post #488, When using CF originally setup with XUB 1.1.5 and you later re-flash with a recent revision of the XUB (New drive translation code) you will likely have to wipe / partition / format and reinstall, Likewise if you setup the CF card using a recent revision of the XUB and then go back to XUB 1.1.5 you will likely have to wipe and setup again.

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                        So I finally got around to testing this, and did some benchmarks with a 4GB CF card using the 1.1.5 BIOS already on the glitchworks v4 card, and aside from not being able to boot directly off the CF card, it went well. The 1.1.5 BIOS displayed drives 80 and 81 in a menu (there's an MFM drive in the system) and booting from 80 or A: worked, and I could fdisk/format and run disktest and everything checked out. I figured not being able to boot off the CF card was due to LBA support in 1.1.5 so I didn't worry about it at the time.

Then I flashed r602 (from the 6300 itself) and now, on bootup, the v4 card can't see the CF card at all. Both Master and Slave (at 300h) show "not found". I was careful to load IDE_XT.BIN and change the card type to 6300/Olivetti M24, and not much else, and the flash appeared to be successful. Both J1/J2 jumpers on my board are set to compatibility mode (as opposed to hi-speed/chuckmod mode).

What am I missing? The card isn't bricked; the BIOS starts up fine, it just doesn't think there's anything on Master (when the 1.1.5 BIOS could see it just fine).

Also, I never saw a menu for picking the boot hard drive; was that removed between 1.1.5 and 2.0.0 b3, or did I miss another setting?

Comment

Whoops, my bad! I was so ingrained with "must not attempt adjacent register reads on M24" that I confused myself into keeping it in compat mode. I'll switch the jumpers tonight and retest.
                          Offering a bounty for:
                          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Okay, full test results follow. The new M24/6300 code is definitely a small improvement, and running the NEC code on an NEC V30 is an additional improvement.

XUB 1.1.5, compat mode, 8086:

Code:
                            Write Speed         : 77.05 KB/s
                            Read Speed          : 91.04 KB/s
                            8K random, 70% read : 9.7 IOPS
                            Sector random read  : 59.0 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 17 ms.
                            I then flashed it to XUB 2.0.0 b3 (r602) IDE_XT (808x code) and moved jumpers to high-speed/chuckmod mode:

Code:
                            Configuration: 4 MiB test file, 256 IOs in random tests.

Write Speed         : 84.26 KB/s
                            Read Speed          : 102.71 KB/s
                            8K random, 70% read : 10.6 IOPS
                            Sector random read  : 57.5 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 17 ms.
                            I then replaced the 8086 with an NEC V20:

Code:
                            Write Speed         : 87.52 KB/s
                            Read Speed          : 103.72 KB/s
                            8K random, 70% read : 10.8 IOPS
                            Sector random read  : 63.8 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 16 ms.
                            Finally, I reflashed with IDE_XTP to get the NEC V20 code:

Code:
                            Write Speed         : 106.83 KB/s
                            Read Speed          : 142.57 KB/s
                            8K random, 70% read : 14.0 IOPS
                            Sector random read  : 69.6 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 14 ms.
                            Looking solely at read speeds, the improvements were:

1.1.5 to 2.0.0b3: 12% faster (this is what Krille originally wanted to know)
                            2.0.0b3 8086 code to 2.0.0b3 NEC code: 38% faster

Hope this helps! I broke a 6300 doing this so I'll start a new thread for that one
                            Offering a bounty for:

Comment

XT IDE Universal BIOS bug?

I've found an old XT-compatible computer with WD-1002 MFM controller and ST-225 HDD.
                              HDD is formatted with MITAC ADM v1.0 and divided onto two partitions (10Mb+10Mb).
                              The first partition is bootable but protected with ADM password (I do not know it).
                              The second partition is open.

After installing XUB (~589) with boot manager module (F2) I see a two "Foreign disk 80h".
                              "Foreign disk 81h' and my IDE drive as 82h.

IDE drive is bootable (with XUB boot manager), I can see my IDE as C: (80h) and second MFM partition as D: (82h)

Unfortunately, first MFM bartition becames not bootable after XT IDE installation.

Comment

I've not heard of MITAC ADM v1.0 before, Got a link ?, What version of DOS are you running, What does FDISK say about that partition ?.

Comment

Working...
                                X