Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a direct contradiction to what you wrote earlier. Does the XUB work in an IBM BIOS 5170, or not?

As for 8-bit vs. 16-bit, I didn't say I would use it permanently; I said I would test it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
      That's a direct contradiction to what you wrote earlier. Does the XUB work in an IBM BIOS 5170, or not?
      Direct contradiction to what ?, No The known issues are still there with the 5170.

As for 8-bit vs. 16-bit, I didn't say I would use it permanently; I said I would test it.
      Yes i know, I was just saying i wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

That's very encouraging. The next time I refurbish a 5170 or 5162, I'll deliberately install the latest XUB on an XT-IDE card and run tests.
        To set the record straight I have never used the XUB in my 5162, I think there was a misunderstanding in the referenced thread. I do however have an operating theory that the "known issue" is specific to using the 8-bit XT-IDE card with the IBM BIOS, and not to the XUB itself. I.e. it would work with the XUB if you use a normal 16-bit controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
          with the Original IBM 5162 bios fitted, 16-bit IDE / floppy controller and XUB r602 it did indeed work just fine
          known issues still exist with the 5170 IBM bios fitted.
          This is the contradiction I was referring to.
          Offering a bounty for:
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
            To set the record straight I have never used the XUB in my 5162, I think there was a misunderstanding in the referenced thread. I do however have an operating theory that the "known issue" is specific to using the 8-bit XT-IDE card with the IBM BIOS, and not to the XUB itself. I.e. it would work with the XUB if you use a normal 16-bit controller.
            My bad, I obviously misunderstood,

Comment

I wouldn't call it a contradiction, 2 different computers 5170 and 5162

Comment

Indeed. If you have the opportunity, I'd suggest trying XUB r602 (one of the the AT builds!) with a 16-bit controller in both the 5162 and 5170 with OEM BIOSes. I suspect they will work just fine, and evidence is gradually accumulating to bear my theory out.

My bad, I obviously misunderstood,
                No worries, at least the point got across enough for you to try it and succeed

Comment

I wouldn't call it a contradiction, 2 different computers 5170 and 5162
                  The 5170 and 5162 are nearly identical systems with nearly identical BIOSes and motherboards. So in this context, they're identical (the XUB bug has only been observed on both 5170 and 5162 systems).
                  Offering a bounty for:

Comment

Thanks for all advices, I will check the version of XT-IDE, don't remember from the top of my head, i might have used 2 different versions in my 2 computers. I have (borrowed) an suitable (E)EPROM programmer but no UV-eraser, will need to get some (E)EPROMs and/or an UV to start fiddling with this. I might have to change the IBM BIOS then, but saving the original EPROMs. As already "guessed", i runt XT-IDE BIOS from a 3Com NIC, and a standard IDE 16-bit card, though that card was sitting in my computer with a 30MB (with 20MB formatted) IDE drive. When I changed the IDE board to another one with serial etc on board, the FDD stopped working. I think I read that this was also a problem with 5170s BIOS, the FDDs might not like all controllers? I also had trouble getting a 3.5" drive to work.

In the 5170 I also have a SB16 with IDE controller, so I could run a standard 270MB IDE AT drive, and one 128MB CF worked from there (with the 256 CF as boot). Did not get any of the CF to act as slave drive (and that seem to be also a known problem). SB16 could not run the other 256 or the 16GB CF.

So, of topic, the final setup of this machine will (probably) be dual disk drives (1.2+1.44), SB16, IBM MFC, CopyIIPC Option board, an (for a 286) incredibly huge CF "hard drive" (hopefully >8Gig) and NIC with Bruteman network + EtherDFS disk mapping. Likely it will keep running VGA, as I have no EGA monitor. It's playing "Pinball Fantasies" (which I was partly developing back in the days) rather fluently for its 8MHz, so that's a reason keeping it VGA. If I get my hands on an affordable 5150 with CGA that would be fun as that was the first IBM I ever seen (my dad took one home with CGA, 10MB HDD, MS flight simulator and J-Bird during an X-mas, cannot remember if he had to work over-time or just brought it for fun, but those days I think rather few had a PC at home, even if just some years later that was the reality, though I think we just had IBMs for shorter periods, and the first "new" computer we got home was an Acer 286 with EGA). I think that Acer 286 got the IBM MCF and the Option board, the MFC got obsolete pretty fast... And a bonus with a 5150 with CGA would be that I could run Trixters awesome 8088 demos...
                    Last edited by JohanLu; October 12, 2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

The 5170 and 5162 are nearly identical systems with nearly identical BIOSes and motherboards. So in this context, they're identical (the XUB bug has only been observed on both 5170 and 5162 systems).
                      Depends on your perspective of how close *nearly* is i suppose, But anyways, A couple of days ago i downgraded the XUB r602 in my 5162 to v1.1.5 and after Wiping the CF and install DOS from scratch it boots and seem's to be working fine, Note: I'm using the same hardware, 16-bit IDE / Floppy controller / CF and adapter, I need to do more testing using my 5162, Different IDE / Floppy controllers, XUB revisions / configs. I will also try my 8-bit XT-IDE controllers, I'll move onto my 5170 and do the same eventually, It'll take some time i have a lot of other neglected jobs i need to get done.

Comment

I have been testing my 8-bit Original VCF XT-IDE R1, R2 and R4 controllers in my IBM 5162 with original IBM Bios and IBM 5170 with Type 3 motherboard and original IBM Bios, I have tested with XUB v1.1.5 and a Custom build of the latest R602 with BootMenu. I used DOS 6.22. A 128Mb cf in adapter and a 170Mb and 13Gb spinning hard drive to test with.

You all know about the 601 error and corruption issues, I found that using the Original IBM Fixed Disk and Diskette Drive Adapter (second generation) i have In an " 8-bit " slot to control the floppy drives in my 5162 and 5170 satisfied the IBM Bios and NO more 601 error, Also i saw NO more corruption issues, I used DiskTest MediaTest with no problems, I did CRC checks before and after copying files to hard drive with no problems, I ran a few Dos programs i copied to hard drive from floppy with no problems

I also tried the above with a Type 1 5170 motherboard i have, I had to upgrade the original bios to the second bios for the 6MHz Type 1 board as NO hard drives were found using the first bios but after the upgrade all worked fine.

I have attached a copy of the custom built XUB R602 with BootMenu i used incase anyone want to try.

Note:
                        When configuring the XUB for the 5162 and 5170, Under Boot Settings / Number of floppy drives change the setting from Auto to 1 or 2 if you have 2 floppy drives.

I do not own any 8-bit floppy drives ( Sold em a long time ago ), I suspect if you use an 8-bit floppy controller instead of the IBM fixed Disk and Diskette controller the 601 error and corruption will return.
                        Attached Files

Comment

XUB r604 is out. If you've experienced hangs at boot with r599 and newer then this should fix it.
                          Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Are there any old mechanical IDE drives out there which will work in conjunction with XUB's "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
                              XUB r604 is out. If you've experienced hangs at boot with r599 and newer then this should fix it.
                              That's an interesting fix... what systems did not call INT 1Ch from 08h?
                              Offering a bounty for:

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
                                Are there any old mechanical IDE drives out there which will work in conjunction with XUB's "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode" ?
                                I don't know of any specific model that works with that mode. I imagine very few people (if any) has done any testing with the small and ancient drives that would be likely to support this mode. So if you have some really old drives then try it!

That's an interesting fix... what systems did not call INT 1Ch from 08h?
                                I'm not sure but I think the problem was that interrupts were disabled for too long. I read somewhere that interrupt 1Ch is invoked with interrupts still disabled (at the PIC) so by immediately chaining to the original INT 08h handler and that in turn calling the INT 1Ch handler allows the EOI to be signaled to the PIC without the delay of having to run the Hotkey Bar handler in XUB first. That's just my theory though - as I said, I don't know for sure.
                                Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Working...
                                X