Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheDrip
    replied
    I would suspect that is so if you flash a non-configured image, the machine won't try to run it.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    More than once over the past 10 + years, None of the builds on the Official download site have the checksum, That's what the configuration tool " XTIDECFG.COM " is for. Lots of info on the site.

Leave a comment:

• srm
    replied
    i dont know if it has been mentioned before, but i guess on the v604 ide_386l.bin file from the official download, the checksum is missing. I spent nearly a whole day of trying to find the problem, looking for all kind of stuff, before i see in HXD that checksum is wrong. After running xtidecfg on the file, the ckecksum gets calculated.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    Presently, when I make a post, the 'Edit Post' option remains visible for about an hour before disappearing.

hmm dont remember seeing it. So likely i exceeded that hour.

But to finalize my posts problems which I was helped out by Tomi (thank you again). The bios was configured to auto detect the device partition types and wasn't choosing normal. So forcing that option for master and slave devices and the os was booting and reading fine after that.
    Some other details I didnt know and might be useful to others. The pre built binaries do not include filler bytes nor the checksum at the end. The xtidecfg program can be run (even in dosbox) and used to the open the binary. Settings can be changed and a new binary saved, which also includes the checksum. So then that binary can be used to flash the eeprom chip.

Leave a comment:

• VileR
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    Related to [here] ?
    Seems so - configured it for full mode and everything looks good in BASICA so far... much obliged.

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    (sorry for the double post, i dont see an edit option for my previous post)
    Presently, when I make a post, the 'Edit Post' option remains visible for about an hour before disappearing.

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by VileR View Post
    Does XUB v2.0.0b3 (and b3+) have a known incompatibility with IBM Disk BASIC?

Running on a 5160 (XT BIOS r3). Whenever BASICA tries to list files or load them, it reports a "Device I/O error". As soon as that happens, the drive remains unusable until I do a warm boot (DOS spews a "General Failure" on any disk access). Same problem with floppy disks in A:, not just with the CF card (C.

Not a big issue, because most versions of GW-BASIC are functionally identical, and GW-BASIC doesn't have this problem. Still makes me wonder if anything else could trip it up.

The same thing happens in PCem with a 5160 configured the same way, and if I disable XTIDE/XUB in the emulator, BASICA works just fine... hence my question.
    Related to [here] ?

Leave a comment:

• VileR
    replied
    Does XUB v2.0.0b3 (and b3+) have a known incompatibility with IBM Disk BASIC?

Running on a 5160 (XT BIOS r3). Whenever BASICA tries to list files or load them, it reports a "Device I/O error". As soon as that happens, the drive remains unusable until I do a warm boot (DOS spews a "General Failure" on any disk access). Same problem with floppy disks in A:, not just with the CF card (C.

Not a big issue, because most versions of GW-BASIC are functionally identical, and GW-BASIC doesn't have this problem. Still makes me wonder if anything else could trip it up.

The same thing happens in PCem with a 5160 configured the same way, and if I disable XTIDE/XUB in the emulator, BASICA works just fine... hence my question.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle
    replied
    An update to my previous post. I figured out that i need the checksum at the end of the 8 kb binary. So I added this by building the rom from source and generating the checksum.
    So im focusing on running v603 on my 386SX with the ide_386.bin. My disk controller seems to have issues with v604. It will regularly post an error from the bios that the hard drive (compact flash card) is not ready. I go into the cmos setting and save. It reboots and is ok. The v604 is coming up with different geometry so my drive is misread.
    I did try to fdisk and format a new partition, but the format locked up.

Here are the outputs from biosdrvs:

v604:
    BIOS Drive Information Tool v1.0.3
    (C) 2012-2018 by XTIDE Universal BIOS Team
    Released under GNU GPL v2
    http://xtideuniversalbios.org/

-= Drive 80h =-
    ATA-information from AH=25h...
    Name : SanDisk SDCFH-256
    Cylinders : 980 , Heads: 16 , Sectors: 32

CHS sectors: 501760
    LBA28 sectors: 501760
    Block mode : Set to 1 from max 1 sectors
    PIO mode : Max 4, Min cycle times: 120 ns, with IORDY 120 ns
    XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.03+ (2020-12-15) generates following L-CHS...
    Cylinders : 979 , Heads: 16 , Sectors: 32 , Mode: NORMAL
    Old INT 13h information from AH=08h and AH=15h...
    Cylinders : 496 , Heads: 16 , Sectors: 63

Total sectors: 499968
    EBIOS information from AH=48h...
    Version : 21h , Interface bitmap: 5h

Total sectors: 501760
    Sector size : 512
    v2:
    BIOS Drive Information Tool v1.0.3
    (C) 2012-2018 by XTIDE Universal BIOS Team
    Released under GNU GPL v2
    http://xtideuniversalbios.org/

-= Drive 80h =-
    ATA-information from AH=25h...
    Name : SanDisk SDCFH-256

CHS sectors: 501760
    LBA28 sectors: 501760
    Block mode : Set to 0 from max 1 sectors
    PIO mode : Max 4, Min cycle times: 120 ns, with IORDY 120 ns
    XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.03+ (2020-12-15) generates following L-CHS...
    Cylinders : 979 , Heads: 16 , Sectors: 32 , Mode: NORMAL
    Old INT 13h information from AH=08h and AH=15h...
    Cylinders : 979 , Heads: 16 , Sectors: 32

Total sectors: 501248
    EBIOS information from AH=48h...
    Version : 21h , Interface bitmap: 1h

Total sectors: 501760
    Sector size : 512
    (sorry for the double post, i dont see an edit option for my previous post)

Leave a comment:

• Pickle
    replied
    Im running a 386sx 16 Mhz with a Intel Adapter 8 /16 which supports a 8 kb bootrom. I can not get the latest builds to work on this NIC. Ive tried the latest 604 and back to version 588.
    Im using a TL866 II plus with a AT27C64B chip. I fill in with zero's to maintain the checksum. When i boot the bios reports a NIC test error. I tried the ide_at.bin, ide_386.bin, and even ide_tiny.bin.
    I can only get the v2.0.0_beta3 ide_at.bin to work.

I also ran v2 beta 3 on a 486 machine and it works fine detecting the sd card adapter, but it locks up on boot on the cdrom. Should there be any issues with dvd/cdrom drives?

Leave a comment:

• Cloudschatze
    replied
    Originally posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    Would anyone be willing to take a stab at the issue of the XUB not initializing in a Tandy 1000 RLX-B unless a physical drive is also present on the system's motherboard header?

This problem is better-described in the following thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?53189
    $200 USD to the person who solves this!

Leave a comment:

• Cloudschatze
    replied
    Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
    Did you try "very late initialisation"?
    I had no success with that either, unfortunately. Without an internal drive present, the XUB fails to initialize regardless of whether it's a "standard" or "very late initialization" variant. I almost wonder if some sort of "very early initalization" might be needed instead, if that's even a thing.

Leave a comment:

• pearce_jj
    replied
    Tandy's can be a bit special. Did you try "very late initialisation"?

Leave a comment:

• Cloudschatze
    replied
    Would anyone be willing to take a stab at the issue of the XUB not initializing in a Tandy 1000 RLX-B unless a physical drive is also present on the system's motherboard header?

This problem is better-described in the following thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?53189

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Are there any old mechanical IDE drives out there which will work in conjunction with XUB's "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode" ?
    A long time back i dug out a lot of drives, 2.5" and 3.5" ranging from 40Mb to around 1.2Gb, None of them were recognized with XUB's "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode", I had read that ATA-2 spec drives should work in 8-bit mode but none of mine did.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X