Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a small program to detect IDE controllers. Drive must be present as it is not possible to detect controller card without drive. I'll implement device and port auto detection to XTIDE Universal BIOS when the code works well enough.
    The program scans for all possible ports and tries to detect if drive is connected to standard IDE Controller (multi I/O-cards etc), XTIDE rev 1, XTIDE rev 2 or modded rev 1, XT-CF or JR-IDE/ISA. It displays what it found and where.

What I'm interested to know:
    • Does detection work if there are both master and slave drives
    • Does detection work if other drive is CD-ROM-drive
    • Does detection work if there is slave drive without master
    • Does is correctly detect controller type
    • Does it detect all drives the system has

Thanks to all who wants to help.

Comment

My results:

Machine: XT clone with XT IDE rev1 at 300h, CF2IDE adapter, 128 MB CF as master, no slave.
      Result: Controller detected as XT IDE rev1 at 300h.

Machine: XT clone with XT IDE rev1 at 300h, CF2IDE adapter, no master, 128 MB CF as slave
      Result: Controller detected XT IDE rev1 at 300h.

Machine: XT clone with XT IDE rev1 at 300h, CF2IDE adapter, 128 MB CF as master, 128 MB CF as slave
      Result: Controller detected as XT IDE rev1 at 300h.

Machine: XT clone with 16 bit Multi I/O in 8 bit slot at 1F0h, XTIDE Universal Bios (CF 8bit mode) in NIC ROM Socket, CF2IDE adapter, 128 MB CF as master, no slave
      Result: Controller detected as Standard IDE Controller at 1F0h.

Machine: PS/2 Model 30-286 with Sound Blaster 16 IDE at 170h, XTIDE Universal Bios in NIC ROM Socket, CF2IDE adapter, 2GB Microdrive as master, no slave
      Result: Controller detected as Standard IDE Controller at 170h..

Machine: ACER 486DX33 with on board IDE at 1F0h, XTIDE Universal Bios in NIC ROM Socket, 3GB IDE HDD as master, 48X CD-ROM as slave.
      Result: Controller detected as Standard IDE Controller at 1F0h.

Complex test:
      Machine: XT clone with:
      - XT IDE rev1 at 300h, CF2IDE adapter, 128 MB CF as master, no slave. Onboard BIOS Disabled
      - 16 bit Multi I/O in 8 bit slot at 1F0h, CF2IDE adapter, 128 MB CF as master, no slave. No BIOS managing this controller.
      - Sound Blaster 16 IDE in 8 bit slot at 170h, CF2IDE adapter, 2GB CF as master, no slave. No BIOS managing this controller.
      Results:
      -XT IDE rev1 at 300h.
      -Standard IDE Controller at 1F0h.
      -Standard IDE Controller at 170h.

Impressive.
      My videos:
      IBM PS/1 model 2011 restored and enhanced
      IBM PC Advanced Diagnostics Cassette load

Comment

Machine: XT clone with XT-CF-Lite BIOS from James:
        - XT-CF-Lite at 300h, 1024MB CF card
        - XT IDE rev2 at 280h, 800MB Fujitsu HDD as master
        Results:
        XTIDE rev1 found at port 280h/288h
        XT-CF rev 2, 3 or Lite found at port 300h/310h

As soon as I try BIOS 2.0.0B2, configure it to use two controllers matching results from idedtct, I can not boot form CF or HDD anymore. Even configuring BIOS solely for XT-CF-Lite makes it unusable. I also tried configuring it for combination XT-CF-Lite and XTIDE rev2 with no succes. And that's interesting, even the idedtct can not detect both cards then.

Both cards work when they are in the system alone and configured for port 300h. BIOS chip on XTIDE was disabled when they were both engaged.

aitotat I need help

Comment

IBM XT 5160, XT ide rev1 (no chuck mod) with Compact flash adapter CF-IDE40 V.E0 (B in the picture on the wiki) 4 Gb compact flash card and latest revision r504 universal bios.

When i ran idedtct the result was " No IDE Controllers Found "

I've had no problems with this setup and only upgraded to r504 today and still working great Will try some more IDE cards / CF adapters tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by evildragon View Post
            When I try to use the large one, my POST shows "ROM ERROR E000"
            Sounds like checksum is not correct so the BIOS on you motherboard does not initialize XTIDE Universal BIOS. I suspect that only 8k is visible or there are address conflicts. Possibly part of the 32k area you are trying to use is used by some other ROM.

EDIT: Also, holding down Control on the ide_xtp.bin BIOS, isnt skipping the routine. I have literally no way to boot to floppy, as there's not even an option in the configuration utility to set a delay unless I use the xtpl BIOS I can't even use.
            It can be hard to find correct time to hold down CTRL on some systems. You do not need it to boot from floppy drive. There are hotkeys displayed on top of screen when drives are being detected. Just press drive letter key to select primary boot device. For example press A during drive detection and floppy drive A is selected as first boot device.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatta View Post
              Would you be interested in an extended loan of the DC-4030VL, for as long as it takes to add support to the universal bios?
              I'm sorry I did not reply earlier. What I'd really need is hardware documentation. The card alone does not do much good. There seems to be documentation available for Promise PDC20230-B, PDC20230-C and PDC20630 but Linux sources are the only available documentation I found for PDC4030.

Comment

Originally posted by archeocomp View Post
                Machine: XT clone with XT-CF-Lite BIOS from James:
                - XT-CF-Lite at 300h, 1024MB CF card
                - XT IDE rev2 at 280h, 800MB Fujitsu HDD as master
                Results:
                XTIDE rev1 found at port 280h/288h
                XT-CF rev 2, 3 or Lite found at port 300h/310h
                It detected rev 2 as rev 1? That shouldn't happen. I don't have a rev2 to test with but modded rev 1 is detected correctly. Isn't there a jumper on rev 2 that enables A0<->A3 swapping? If A0<->A3 swapping is not enablet, it should be detected as rev 1.

As soon as I try BIOS 2.0.0B2, configure it to use two controllers matching results from idedtct, I can not boot form CF or HDD anymore. Even configuring BIOS solely for XT-CF-Lite makes it unusable.
                Officially released v.2.0.0 beta 2 only supports XT-CF prototype. XT-CF has improved a lot since and it has required changes to BIOS. I guess I should make new public release before I start to implement autodetection and other new features. I don't know why XTIDE stopped working.

Comment

Here is a new version of idedtct (v1.0.1). I'm hoping it will now detect drives that it did not detect before. The only change is that drive no longer needs to be ready to accept commands. This might cause some false detections (especially it might think the system has JR-IDE/ISA). Let me know if any false detections happen. I'll try something else if there are too many of those.

Comment

This sounds absolutely fantastic!

IIRC V2 XTIDE has jumpers to enable 'chuck-mod' style configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by aitotat View Post
                      Sounds like checksum is not correct so the BIOS on you motherboard does not initialize XTIDE Universal BIOS. I suspect that only 8k is visible or there are address conflicts. Possibly part of the 32k area you are trying to use is used by some other ROM.

It can be hard to find correct time to hold down CTRL on some systems. You do not need it to boot from floppy drive. There are hotkeys displayed on top of screen when drives are being detected. Just press drive letter key to select primary boot device. For example press A during drive detection and floppy drive A is selected as first boot device.
                      No conflict here, E000 to E800 are completely not in use. I got the entire memory map for this computer laid out on paper. I even tested by flashing a 32KB NES ROM to it (a very funny test I might add), and read it back to a .bin file. The ROM kept the same checksum and was playable. Something else seems to be the problem. But, I DO use a prototype model XT-IDE rev 2, so maybe there's something about that, that is causing problems with the BIOS.

The PQI Disk On Module detects nearly instantly and as soon as the screen even shows the hot keys, it's already "Starting MS-DOS". It gives me zero chance to press A. If I just rapid tap the A button, then I can get it to boot A after the POST beep. I reflashed it though to boot to A first, and it seems that works fine, checks A, nothing, boots C----Starts MS-DOS.
                      IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Comment

I tried the IDE detection utility, and it sees the card, but unless I'm missing something, it's not even showing a drive.

It's a PQI 2GB disk on module.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psce0edcaf.jpg
                        IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Comment

Still the same with idedtct ver: 1.0.1 on my IBM 5160 with XTIDE Rev1 and flashed with r504 bios with CF or HD connected " No IDE Controllers Found! " Card works fine with r504 bios and CF or HD

I tried a silicon valley ADP 60/70 16-bit card in my 5160 and flashed the onboard chip with r504 universal bios, bios does not find the HD or CF card however running ide detect 1.0.1 gives the result " Standard ide controller found at ports 1F0h/3F0h i also tried the original version of ide detect which resulted in " No IDE Controllers Found! "

I'll go back a few versions of the bios because i have used this card and others with the universal bios in my 5160 and it worked flawlessly with CF or HD.

Comment

It detected rev 2 as rev 1? That shouldn't happen. I don't have a rev2 to test with but modded rev 1 is detected correctly. Isn't there a jumper on rev 2 that enables A0<->A3 swapping? If A0<->A3 swapping is not enablet, it should be detected as rev 1.
                            Nope. Information on wiki is scarce so I left it configured in default mode. Therefore it is OK with rev1. I will give a try later.

Officially released v.2.0.0 beta 2 only supports XT-CF prototype. XT-CF has improved a lot since and it has required changes to BIOS. I guess I should make new public release before I start to implement autodetection and other new features. I don't know why XTIDE stopped working.
                            I'll be glad to test new BIOS with XT-CF-Lite then. Thanks.

Comment

I tried a different CF adapter connected to a 80 core ide cable ( originally i had the adapter plugged into the xtide rev1 card ) and a couple of different hard drives in my IBM XT 5160 but still no joy with idedtct ver 1.0.0 or ver 1.0.1, both versions report " No IDE Controllers Found! ".

I plugged the same xtide rev1 card ( No Mods ) into a 16-bit slot in my 486 box, disabled the bios and left it at 300h, i then ran idedtct version 1.0.0 and the result was " XTIDE Rev 2 or modded rev 1 found at port 300h/308h " and got the same result with idedtct ver: 1.0.1.

Has anyone else tried idedtct on an IBM XT 5160 ( not a clone ) with XTIDE Rev: 1 card installed ?

EDIT: I remembered that xtidecfg has an autoconfigure option, I just tried it on my 5160 and that also reports " 0 controllers found " ? strange, Card works fine with CF or Hard drive.
                              Last edited by Malc; February 19, 2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                                I plugged the same xtide rev1 card ( No Mods ) into a 16-bit slot in my 486 box, disabled the bios and left it at 300h, i then ran idedtct version 1.0.0 and the result was " XTIDE Rev 2 or modded rev 1 found at port 300h/308h " and got the same result with idedtct ver: 1.0.1.
                                That is quite unexpected. I would have thought the same controller card + drive combination would work the same on all systems. I don't know why non modded XTIDE rev 1 is detected as modded rev 1.
                                Can you do a quick test with DOS debug (on the IBM 5160)? Since the XTIDE is at port 300, read what is returned from ports 307h and 30Eh like this:
                                Code:
                                i 307
                                i 30E
                                That reads IDE Status Register and Alternative Status Register. They should be the same and usually 50h when things work as they should.

EDIT: I remembered that xtidecfg has an autoconfigure option, I just tried it on my 5160 and that also reports " 0 controllers found " ? strange, Card works fine with CF or Hard drive.
                                Auto Configure in the xtidecfg uses excactly the same detection code as idedtct so it has the same problem as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X