Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shirsch
    replied
    Originally posted by Malc View Post
    Never used it myself as i have no need for it but what version are you using ?, Krille posted a fixed version of serdrive here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ht=#post566298 I believe it's the latest version from r602,
    If anything that copy is slightly worse. I'm starting to think the PC portable I'm using just isn't fast enough to keep up with 460k baud. If I drop back to 230, it connects 100% of the time even without debug. Throughput falls from 10.7k bytes / sec to about 9.4k bytes / sec, which sort of bolsters the argument that baud rate itself is not the limiting factor. Having a 16C550 drop dead after less than a day's use is a bit irritating to boot. I swapped in an NMOS 16550 pulled from an old serial card and it seems to work fine.

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Never used it myself as i have no need for it but what version are you using ?, Krille posted a fixed version of serdrive here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ht=#post566298 I believe it's the latest version from r602,

Leave a comment:

• shirsch
    replied
    Still struggling a bit with serdrive. After losing a full day to what turned out to be a bad 16C550 UART, I have discovered that 460k baud link works only if I use a -v debug option on the server end. It simply never works without it. With -v, I get reliable connection about 80% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• shirsch
    replied
    Originally posted by shirsch View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I'm having problems trying to use the serial disk server with my XTIDE v2 board. Initially, both sides report they are using 115.2k baud, but by passing the -v debug flag to serdrive.exe I can see a message from the server that client is announcing 28.8k baud. No data is ever transferred. I realize there's a 4x speed multiplier on the XTIDE, but the software seems confused about what's really going on. Am I missing something basic?
    UPDATE: Burned by software versioning... I found a copy of serdrive.exe in a relatively recent build of XUB that seems to work fine. But, I cannot convince XUB to boot from that drive - it always chooses the primary IDE device. Once booted, the serial drive is mapped to drive D.

There are way too many out-of-date pieces of software and firmware floating around.

Leave a comment:

• shirsch
    replied
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I'm having problems trying to use the serial disk server with my XTIDE v2 board. Initially, both sides report they are using 115.2k baud, but by passing the -v debug flag to serialsrv.ext I can see a message from the server that client is announcing 28.8k baud. No data is ever transferred. I realize there's a 4x speed multiplier on the XTIDE, but the software seems confused about what's really going on. Am I missing something basic?

Leave a comment:

• Twospruces
    replied
    QQ for those who understand how to compile XUB-

this line appears in the makefile for XUB-
    Code:
    	; Included .inc files
    	%include "AssemblyLibrary.inc"	; Assembly Library. Must be included first!
    Do the routines related to AssemblyLibrary.inc have to be separately compiled? There appears to be a separate makefile specifically for Assembly_Library.

thanks,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Twospruces
    replied
    regarding the issues I reported with getting XUB to boot up correctly in Z171

I am pleased to report that I have repaired XUB 602 to work with Z-171. Well, specifically I fixed the boot disk detection problem that was making boot up difficult.

Here's the short summary of the issue:

* in Z171, when booting a stock machine, the BIOS BDA entry 0040:0075, which represents # of detected HDD, is set to 0FF.
    * (It also seems like it is not initialized on normal boot up, so FF might be what you get when power up)
    * XUB assumes this value is correctly set by the BIOS.
    * in the case of Z171, it should be set to 00 on every boot

Fix:
    * in DetectDrives.asm there is a natural location to initialize the variable BDA..bHDCount which points to 0040:0075
    * by initializing to 00 we correct the problem that un-initialized data is messing up the boot
    * in the make file you need to add this line to the appropriate area
    # Z171_HACK use to fix Z171 boot issue
    * and of course, you need to add this to your specific build.

original code

mov cx, [RAMVARS.wDrvCntAndFlopCnt] ; Our count of hard disks
    mov al, [es:BDA.bHDCount]
    add [es:BDA.bHDCount], cl ; Add our drives to the system count
    or al, 80h ; Or in hard disk flag
    mov [RAMVARS.bFirstDrv], al ; Store first drive number

modified code

%ifdef Z171_HACK ; INITIALIZE .bHDCount every time
    mov BYTE [es:BDA.bHDCount], 0 ; Set hard disk count to zero
    %endif ; Z171_HACK

mov cx, [RAMVARS.wDrvCntAndFlopCnt] ; Our count of hard disks
    mov al, [es:BDA.bHDCount]
    add [es:BDA.bHDCount], cl ; Add our drives to the system count
    or al, 80h ; Or in hard disk flag
    mov [RAMVARS.bFirstDrv], al ; Store first drive number

Leave a comment:

• Twospruces
    replied
    Well I have R602 from the repo, and I have the tools installed, and I can compile.

So I suppose the adventure of figuring out what is wrong commences. I hope to end up with a streamlined XUB that is specific to Z171 and addresses this weird defect. At the same time I have new PCBs to try out.

Originally posted by Twospruces View Post
    Thanks for this modified 601. This is actually my favorite XUB version now, not because it fixed the boot up issue, but because it makes boot up smoother. I'll explain.

Wrt correct detection of the disks, and avoiding the repeated sequence of hard start, soft restart... no luck. Late initialization appears to not affect this issue.

However, R601 is better for me for the following reason.

On the Z171, for all other successful XUB versions (other than this modified 601), the XUB BIOS screen appears after 3 things occur.
    1) Z171 does a memory test on power up
    2) Z171 displays "Booting....." on screen
    3) Z171 momentarily spins up FDD A
    ---> If there is any floppy in A, XUB quickly appears.
    ---> if there is no floppy in A, then there is a long timeout before XUB appears

With this modified 601, the sequence is different, and preferable.
    ---> XUB quickly appears.

So, this is better!

There must be some kind of memory initialization issue here.
    * after a power cycle with a short delay, the "table of disks" is very corrupt. XUB reports a very long list of "foreign disks".
    * after a power cycle with a long delay, the "table of disks" shows only FDD A and B.
    * after a warm restart CNTL ALT DEL,the "table of disks" gets an incremental entry

Just looking at this issue, since the length of time of power cycle influences the outcome, doesnt this mean that there is corrupt data in RAM, that is only cleared out after a long period of no refresh?

I wish I knew more about how this BIOS works....

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Yep, A few years ago when the old google code site went read only and a bit later shut down for good, Go to the new XUB site http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/ Click on " Browse source" and then "Repository URL" and you have the URL you seek.

Leave a comment:

• gepooljr
    replied
    I'm planning to do testing on several builds for the software. When I followed the wiki on downloading using subversion, I'm getting an 404 error. The URL is http://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/. Has this changed for subversion?

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    Got a weird problem with a boot menu.
    If there is a FDC in a system (Sergey's 8-bit FDC+serial or a generic 16-bit HDC+FDC), opening the boot menu hangs the system completely. Other than that everything works fine. I use pre-compiled ide_xtpl bios with XT-IDE v4 and Juko NEST v30 board.
    How I can further pinpoint source of this problem?

Leave a comment:

• Twospruces
    replied
    Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    So the latest version behaves "better" with full mode enabled vs. minimum mode? I would think on a system as "simple" as a Morrow Pivot-vintage box minimum mode would be more appropriate, but perhaps it stomps on some BIOS data era that full mode doesn't?
    Not sure; didn't actually test with or without full mode. I would say I saw no difference that I could attribute to R602.
    In my last test using R601 with late init, I did not enable full mode.

Think I will just use minimum mode as a rule going forward.

Leave a comment:

• Twospruces
    replied
    Originally posted by Malc View Post
    I posted XUB r601 with Boot Menu and Very late init a while back, See post #512 in this thread, Might be worth a try.
    Thanks for this modified 601. This is actually my favorite XUB version now, not because it fixed the boot up issue, but because it makes boot up smoother. I'll explain.

Wrt correct detection of the disks, and avoiding the repeated sequence of hard start, soft restart... no luck. Late initialization appears to not affect this issue.

However, R601 is better for me for the following reason.

On the Z171, for all other successful XUB versions (other than this modified 601), the XUB BIOS screen appears after 3 things occur.
    3) Z171 momentarily spins up FDD A
    ---> If there is any floppy in A, XUB quickly appears.
    ---> if there is no floppy in A, then there is a long timeout before XUB appears

With this modified 601, the sequence is different, and preferable.
    ---> XUB quickly appears.

So, this is better!

There must be some kind of memory initialization issue here.
    * after a power cycle with a short delay, the "table of disks" is very corrupt. XUB reports a very long list of "foreign disks".
    * after a power cycle with a long delay, the "table of disks" shows only FDD A and B.
    * after a warm restart CNTL ALT DEL,the "table of disks" gets an incremental entry

Just looking at this issue, since the length of time of power cycle influences the outcome, doesnt this mean that there is corrupt data in RAM, that is only cleared out after a long period of no refresh?

I wish I knew more about how this BIOS works....

Leave a comment:

• Malc
    replied
    Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    ...The docs also mention a "late initialization" option:
    I wonder if it might be worth trying that, if you haven't? The bit about "requiring some main bios functions for drive detection" might be relevant?
    I posted XUB r601 with Boot Menu and Very late init a while back, See post #512 in this thread, Might be worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• Eudimorphodon
    replied
    So the latest version behaves "better" with full mode enabled vs. minimum mode? I would think on a system as "simple" as a Morrow Pivot-vintage box minimum mode would be more appropriate, but perhaps it stomps on some BIOS data era that full mode doesn't?

The docs also mention a "late initialization" option:

Normally expansion card BIOSes are initialized before POST completes. Some (older) systems initialize expansion card BIOSes before they have initialized themselves. This might cause problems since XTIDE Universal BIOS requires some main BIOS functions for drive detection. This problem can be fixed by using late initialization to detect drives on boot loader. Late initialization requires that XTIDE Universal BIOS is the last BIOS that installs INT 19h handler. Make sure that XTIDE ROM is configured to highest address if you have other storage device controllers present.
    I wonder if it might be worth trying that, if you haven't? The bit about "requiring some main bios functions for drive detection" might be relevant?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X