Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Edit for DOS 3.3 and ealier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lameboyadvance
    replied
    Originally posted by vwestlife View Post
    The standalone version of MS-DOS EDIT from Windows 95+ requires a NEC V20/V30 or 286 or higher CPU to run. If you try to run it on an 8088 or 8086, it will lock up.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this via Google and began wondering since things like Win3.0's VGA.SYS have been patched to work on 8080/8086, would it be possible to patch the Win95 EDIT.COM to do the same?
    Right now I'm using Q (posted above) on DOS 3.31, but would like to be able to run a copy of MS EDIT, ideally one that isn't tied to QBASIC.

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    I've actually decided on just using the text editor that comes bundled with Dosmenu. After reading about all of the menu programs, and weeding through almost two dozen different menu programs, I decided to go with DOS Commander because it takes up a much smaller footprint in the systems memory than other similar programs like Norton Commander, leaving more room for other programs to run effectively. As for the text editor, it's simple, easy to call up, just navigate to the file and press F3. You now have direct access to the file and can make whatever changes you might want.

I have to thank ole juul for this nice little program. Plus, we spent over 5 hours over the phone in one day getting my LAN adapter working, then the modem. Now I have to find another dual 9 pin serial card to replace my old one. My current one is a complete mystery. But that is a subject I've covered in another thread.

I just want to say thanks to all of you. To be honest, it was stone who recommended that I use the editor that comes with Norton Commander, and ole juul who gave me the copy of DOS Commander. I still want to thank all of you for your ideas. They were all welcome. And yes, I'll still be looking at using a couple as I progress with this machine.

Leave a comment:

• vwestlife
    replied
    Originally posted by wdegroot View Post
    steal the editor edit.exe from dos 7 win 95 98
    it does not rewuire qbasic and you likely have it
    I riun xp and the same? editor is in win xp
    BUT if you need to cut and paste from windowy apps use notepad. likelu npwillnot work w deos 33
    The standalone version of MS-DOS EDIT from Windows 95+ requires a NEC V20/V30 or 286 or higher CPU to run. If you try to run it on an 8088 or 8086, it will lock up.

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Stone View Post
    Hehehehe... hardly. That editor is roughly 70K.
    69,902 bytes to be exact plus 10,790 for the help file, and I'd be surprised if it ran on an 8088.

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Why? Is it small enough to put on all your 360K boot disks without squeezing something else out? If it's a reasonable 5 or 10K I'd be interested in a copy. At least just to try it.
    Hehehehe... hardly. That editor is roughly 70K.

Leave a comment:

• Ole Juul
    replied
    Originally posted by wdegroot View Post
    Why? Is it small enough to put on all your 360K boot disks without squeezing something else out? If it's a reasonable 5 or 10K I'd be interested in a copy. At least just to try it.

Leave a comment:

• wdegroot
    replied
    it does not rewuire qbasic and you likely have it
    I riun xp and the same? editor is in win xp
    BUT if you need to cut and paste from windowy apps use notepad. likelu npwillnot work w deos 33

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Originally posted by Trixter View Post
    No worries; here's hoping you recover in the upcoming year. At least you have vintage computing to relax with
    That's about all I have that's keeping me sane. You know the funny part? I didn't find out all of this other stuff until after I rebuilt the expansion unit for my 5150. If I had known all of this was going to happen, I probably wouldn't have even bothered. Now I have a small collection of 6 different vintage home and small business computers. 2 of them need some work, and of course, Alice is always looking at me with that big Cyclops eye of a monitor! She's constantly begging me to give her some attention. So, I play some games and test other programs on her floppy drives before I permanently commit them to her hard drives.

I think I need to take some semi-close-ups of my 5150 system to show each and every component that makes Alice what she is. I have so many upgrades, and yet I'm still not done. I need to configure the Ethernet lll adapter, and the modem, plus I want to add in a sound card, and finally, I want to get a plotter for some design work I'm planning on. (Oh, What HAVE I gotten myself into?)

Thanks for the sentiment too Trixter. I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Trixter
    replied
    Originally posted by bettablue View Post
    I'm facing three things, a liver and kidney transplant, plus the removal of my overly enlarged spleen Trust me, it's not fun, But because of the constant illness I have been feeling and going through, I have a lot of trouble concentrating on what I write. It does take a lot for me to focus.
    No worries; here's hoping you recover in the upcoming year. At least you have vintage computing to relax with

Leave a comment:

• Ole Juul
    replied
    Ah yes. I would definitely be interested in getting that. I'll see if I can find a copy.
    Hehe, I don't think you'll want to use it though. It really is just a collector's item or curio. Nevertheless, I just put it here for you.

Seriously, the smallest editor that really works for everything, and which requires no learning curve because of it's built in bottom line function key menu is - TED. I've used it for years and I know others who have as well. Under 3K, you can put it on all boot disks. Anyway, it's in the package I posted for you earlier.

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    Ah yes. I would definitely be interested in getting that. I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thanks.

Not to worry. As you know, I've got related health issues, so I can certainly sympathise. Mental mixups are indeed the hardest things to accept, because we all want to be sharp all the time. Anyway . . . just have to go with it. Intelligence has many forms and it's not a competition.

Regarding a super small editor, I was actually hoping that trixter would have something like that in his collection. To date the TEDL at 656 bytes is the record in my experience. Funny though, it comes with a very small documentation file which, even then, is twice the size as the editor. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• Ole Juul
    replied
    Sorry about the confusion.
    Not to worry. As you know, I've got related health issues, so I can certainly sympathise. Mental mixups are indeed the hardest things to accept, because we all want to be sharp all the time. Anyway . . . just have to go with it. Intelligence has many forms and it's not a competition.

Regarding a super small editor, I was actually hoping that trixter would have something like that in his collection. To date the TEDL at 656 bytes is the record in my experience. Funny though, it comes with a very small documentation file which, even then, is twice the size as the editor. Haha.

Leave a comment:

• bettablue
    replied
    No, I saw something that Chuck G wrote. I think it was a memory tool or something like that. It came in at 41 bytes. I got my terms messed up again. This is happening a lot more to me as my health issues get worse. And yes they are getting worse for now. I'm facing three things, a liver and kidney transplant, plus the removal of my overly enlarged spleen Trust me, it's not fun, But because of the constant illness I have been feeling and going through, I have a lot of trouble concentrating on what I write. It does take a lot for me to focus.

Sorry about the confusion.

I saw that and was wondering too. There are some small editors out there though. Like I mentioned, the very functional TED (PCmag/Ziff) comes in at just under 3K which is not bad for something that one would actually want to use as one's main editor - as I have for years. However, I also have a small version which is a total of 656 bytes. The writer did have to forgo a few niceties in order to achieve that though. One is that you hit Ctrl-C to exit. lol In any case I do think that one (TEDL.COM) is the winner of the small editor record, and was written for that purpose. You wouldn't happen to have another really small one for my collection would you?

Leave a comment:

• Ole Juul
    replied
    Originally posted by Trixter View Post
    It's impossible to create a functional editor in 41 bytes, so maybe you meant 41KB?
    I saw that and was wondering too. There are some small editors out there though. Like I mentioned, the very functional TED (PCmag/Ziff) comes in at just under 3K which is not bad for something that one would actually want to use as one's main editor - as I have for years. However, I also have a small version which is a total of 656 bytes. The writer did have to forgo a few niceties in order to achieve that though. One is that you hit Ctrl-C to exit. lol In any case I do think that one (TEDL.COM) is the winner of the small editor record, and was written for that purpose. You wouldn't happen to have another really small one for my collection would you?

Leave a comment:

• Trixter
    replied
    During my search, I ran into a couple of threads here in the forums where members have written their own replacement programs for the earlier versions. As an example: Mem.exe. which was written by one of our regulars (I believe it was Chuck). The program was only 41 Bytes in size. That little program is a perfect example of what I'm looking for.
    It's impossible to create a functional editor in 41 bytes, so maybe you meant 41KB?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X