• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mtcp telnet locking-up

josephdaniel

Experienced Member
First off, let me say that I enjoy mtcp very much and use IRC and telnet almost every day.
A few days ago I telneted into a ddial system (RMAC) it connected it got to the ATDT9869864 and then locks up, eventually after a few minutes it will display the prompt to login but the connection has already timed out and RMAC disconnects me. It has done this to me every time with every other BBS I have been on since then on a Synchronet system such as synchro.net it will sometimes get to the please hit a key to continue and then lock up and sometimes it lets me get to a username prompt and then locks up? I am at a loss of what to do here. I pulled the Ethernet card, cleaned all connectors, tried it in different slots and it still does the same thing. Also I downloaded a copy of mtcp and put the new copy of telnet on the XT still the same thing!

Last edited:
Just a side note, I re-soldered the AUI connector that my external Ethernet transceiver attaches to and it's still having the problem. Another thing, I can FTP just fine haven't tried hosting a FTP site yet.

You need to write better problem reports ...

I tested the Xmodem/Ymodem function against Gene Buckle's Synchronet system, so I know it works. It sounds like you are connecting to systems that think they are using dial-up modems and are getting converted using some sort of serial to Ethernet device, hence the ATDT string. Those systems might not be using the telnet protocol, which is what a telnet client is expecting.

Try using the "sessiontype raw" option on the command line to see if that works better for those systems. That will disable the telnet options negotiation.

Also try telnet against a *real* telnet server (sdf.org, thekeep.net, etc.) to verify that telnet works and there is not something else going wrong.

Do not whip out a soldering iron for a software problem ... if everything else on mTCP is working for you then it is not a hardware problem. That is how things get damaged ...

I know I need to write better...
I tried sdf.org and thekeep.net and synchro.net and it locked up on all three of them. I had only decided to re-solder the AUI connector because there was a dodgy looking solder joint and I thought I would see if that would help any, I am no strange to soldering... One of my other hobbies is antique radio ,TV repair (none of those flat panel contraptions), and vintage stereos from the 70's.

Last edited:
Ok, well, included in the mTCP package there is a file called DEBUG.TXT that has instructions for debugging and possibly sending me a problem report. Have you looked at it? That would be the next step if you have not.

Here are two log files I followed the debugging page, and checked everything that it said to and there was no problem.

You need to set the DEBUGGING variable to something like 127 so that I can see more detail. That is going to result in larger traces, so email them directly to me using the address listed in the file.

Telnetting to rmac.d-dial.com works for me - I get the ATDT ..., it pauses, and then it says CONNECT and I get an ID and password prompt. If you saw the ATDT text as you said earlier, then mTCP made the connection and the rest of the problem is a server side problem.

From the first trace I can see that the TCP connection is not being made at all. That is different than what you reported earlier, where it connected but stalled out. The second trace looks like TCP connected and got further, but died due to excessive timeouts.

It connected and responded for me. If you post a list of what machines you are having trouble with then maybe a few other people will try and report if they succeed or fail. More data points helps find out what the problem is, or is not.

So at the moment, given that it works for me, I would collect a more detailed trace and send it directly to me. If the rest of mTCP works then there is no reason why Telnet should fail as you describe, so I suspect there is more to the story that we are not getting ... but the trace file should reveal that missing clue.

OK, I am having issues with a IBM 5160 using a 3 com etherlink 2 network card with a external 10BT Ethernet transceiver. The computer it's self is running PC-DOS 2.1 and has never had problems with telnet before?

Just an update, I got mtcp working. The problem was that my router was constantly sending out ARP requests. Went down to the computer goodwill and picked up a cheap gigabit router with a NAS and I'm back in business!

Back