• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel ADV/RH and WinNT 4.0

dmerrll

Hello everyone; I have just joined this forum looking for advice.
I have to milling machines running what is now legacy hardware and software. Siemens still services my machine but only in exchange for Gold bars. Since this machine is windows based I thought I would take a stab at it. One week ago machine halted on checksum error set date and time. I reset and moved on. Cmos battery good. Will not boot. Will not take NT4.0 set up disk halts on OS loader with Blue back horizontal screen. Remove hard drive test in NT4.0 machine boots fine. Add sos switch to boot.ini change Attrib and re install. Setup disk gets to config.sys in Executive and hangs with blue/black hor screen. This is an Intel ADV/RF Lpx form factor with a bridge board in riser and a RT board for machine control. I pulled WS board (intel RH) and put on bench to test isolated from other hardware for no conflict. Same thing will boot to halt in OS loader or setup disk.
Replaced memory re seated processor, cleared cmos, same thing. On a whim I put in a clean Win98 HDD and boots fine. Stressed memory and processor, socket 7 pent 233 mmx , fine. So will boot, setup, load win98 but will not boot,load,setup winNT 4.0. Tried Ctrl F1 to enter extended Bios util to no avail. Anyone know how to access hidden Bios setup? AMI bios 1.00.13.CV2 Intel board.

David

Hello everyone; I have just joined this forum looking for advice.
I have to milling machines running what is now legacy hardware and software. Siemens still services my machine but only in exchange for Gold bars. Since this machine is windows based I thought I would take a stab at it. One week ago machine halted on checksum error set date and time. I reset and moved on. Cmos battery good. Will not boot. Will not take NT4.0 set up disk halts on OS loader with Blue back horizontal screen. Remove hard drive test in NT4.0 machine boots fine. Add sos switch to boot.ini change Attrib and re install. Setup disk gets to config.sys in Executive and hangs with blue/black hor screen. This is an Intel ADV/RF Lpx form factor with a bridge board in riser and a RT board for machine control. I pulled WS board (intel RH) and put on bench to test isolated from other hardware for no conflict. Same thing will boot to halt in OS loader or setup disk.
Replaced memory re seated processor, cleared cmos, same thing. On a whim I put in a clean Win98 HDD and boots fine. Stressed memory and processor, socket 7 pent 233 mmx , fine. So will boot, setup, load win98 but will not boot,load,setup winNT 4.0. Tried Ctrl F1 to enter extended Bios util to no avail. Anyone know how to access hidden Bios setup? AMI bios 1.00.13.CV2 Intel board.

David

Hi Dave - welcome to the forum.

Below is a link for a PDF to your motherboard. Not knowing any more than what's been stated, if your board boots with WIN98, I'm thinking that your NT installation may be corrupted and/or some bad sector problems may exist with your hard drive. I'm wondering if you have a software backup of your NC programs available to you? One thing you might want to try is to run Microsoft's CHKDSK (Check Disk):

To run Check Disk

1. On the desktop, double-click My Computer.

Under Windows XP, the My Computer icon may be located on the Start Menu.

2. Right-click the drive on which you want to run Check Disk, and then click Properties.

3. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.

4. Under "Check disk options", check the boxes next to the desired options:

• [*=1]Automatically fix file system errors
    [*=1]Selecting the option "Automatically fix file system errors" has the same effect as running CHKDSK /F.
    [*=1]Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
    [*=1]This option has the same effect as running CHKDSK /R.
    [*=1]If you run Check Disk without selecting either of these options, any errors that are found will not be fixed.
5. Click Start.

Note: If Check Disk cannot gain exclusive access to the drive, you will be prompted to schedule the disk check to run the next time you restart the computer. Click Yes, and then restart the computer. While Windows NT/2000/XP is loading, the Check Disk utility should automatically run and check the selected drive. We recommend that you run Check Disk a second time if any errors or bad sectors are found on the drive. Continue running Check Disk until all errors and bad sectors have been fixed. Give it try and let us know. Also, please modify your profile and ad your location. BTW, you can expect multiple replies and all sorts of advice from this site. Good Luck!

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Intel/Advanced-RH_28180907.pdf

Is your drive/current install still in tact? What error does it give you when booting NT off your hard drive? Can you boot into it via safe mode (F8 before it starts booting, select "VGA Mode")? That boots it without most of the drivers being run if it's a software/driver issue. Any other updates to the hardware or software recently? Could also be a bad stick of RAM causing your grief.

Thanks for the replies;

Yes HDD still intact. Chkdsk in Xp will re write the NTFS table to NTFS 5. I have a test NT4.0 Box on bench using Diskadmin to check drives. They are okay. I keep the $1000 siemens drive protected and use a cloned ide40 to Cf 4g drive in machine. both check well and will boot to NT4.0 test box as if CNC amchine were ther until it gets to the bridge board check that is.
I have pulled the CNC WS mobo out of machine to test on bench. Power supply Ps2 keyb, ps2 mouse and vga ATI onboard video to monitor. I have used NT4.0 bootable HDD on IDE 1 will not boot hangs at OS loader. I have used Atapi Cd to boot via eltorito the winnt setup cd. Hangs after loading win executive. With or without HDD connected. MOBO will boot a win98 HDD or to any Dos with any of the HD's connected.
F1, Esc,Del= basic bios setup F2 nothing. Tried shift ctrl and ctrl with all keys no extened Bios setup screen.
Stumped

Is Service Pack 4 or later installed? If so, conversion to NTFS 5 will not be an issue as SP4 added the ability for NT4 to read/write those partitions.

'F1' appears to be the key to hit to enter the CMOS setup if needed.

Do the following:
-Run a memory test overnight using memtest86. This should rule out any obvious problems with RAM.
-Pull all peripheral cards and see if NT boots. If so, reinsert each card one by one testing to see if the machine still boots.

I don't understand the references to config.sys as Windows NT 4.0 does not use it for booting unlike DOS. Some Windows NT install CDs don't work right if directly booted. If you plan on reinstalling, make a set of boot floppies from your CD (you need 3 disks): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131735

Also try using real hard drives when testing the machine, not Compact Flash adapters. I have had problems with NT OSes and CF cards since the operating system thinks the drive is removable and balks at it. NT will NOT install on a IDE drive that appears as a removable device like most CF cards do in those IDE adapters.

thanks for the reply,
config.sys is one of the files that is loaded from the setup disk, original NT 4.0 CD, memory has been checked ok, though have purchased new memory. This motherboard is now on a lab bench and not installed in any machine. No peripheral cards nothing in the riser slot. IRQ's all disabled. Have done 3 disk first from machine when good. winNT on disks is SVP6. XP still trashes NTFS if used to read it though contrary to MSFT. Which is why I have NT4.0 desktop built for maintenance . I have been using CF drives in machines for a few years as the replacement HDD's are a $1000 from siemens. I have tried to use the Hero HDD's same result. MOBO will boot to DOS, Win98 not Nt4.0 weather by floppy setup disks or Cd or HDD. All halt. F1 yield basic cmos utility.
Thanks, David

Can you post a picture of the "blue/black hor" screen so we can see what you're seeing when it halts?

I have been using CF drives in machines for a few years as the replacement HDD's are a $1000 from siemens.

The motherboard in that machine takes standard IDE hard drives. Any old IDE drive you have laying around will work. NT 4 setup doesn't use DOS at all when booted from the installation floppies or CD. The only time it uses DOS is if you actually start it from a booted DOS system using the "WINNT.EXE" program in the "i386" directory on the CD.

The reason I mentioned memory testing is that NT based OSes are generally very sensitive to memory problems. There are many machines that will seemingly run DOS/Win9x without a problem and blue screen with NT due to bad memory. On a long shot, do any Linux live CDs work ok on the machine? Linux, like NT will put the machine into Protected Mode and use its own storage drivers. It will generally bomb in the same places NT does if there is a hardware problem.

Back