• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CD Backup - MDS or ISO ?

Vifa

Experienced Member
Hi guys,

I am going to backup my CD software collection, using Alcohol 120% for the job.
Not sure what format I should use, ISO or MDS for instance ?

Can anyone please explain the difference between ISO and MDS to a novice like me?

I remember something about MDS was the better choice for protected CDs, am I right about this ?

Best Regards
Vifa

Hi guys,

I am going to backup my CD software collection, using Alcohol 120% for the job.
Not sure what format I should use, ISO or MDS for instance ?

Can anyone please explain the difference between ISO and MDS to a novice like me?

I remember something about MDS was the better choice for protected CDs, am I right about this ?

Best Regards
Vifa

Just curious, why are you backing up CD's?

Unfortunately, there is no one good answer. ISO is the best supported standard, but most CD reading software have their own proprietary formats for dealing with shortcomings of ISO.

Personally, I store "normal" CDs in ISO, and only use the proprietary formats for CDs that need it.

Specifically, ISO can not handle::
- Audio Tracks
- Copy Protection
- Multiple Sessions

Additionally, storing anything more than an ISO on a CD that doesn't need it, results in storing possibly unwanted "noise". I have even encountered some old CDs with messed up track data written by old buggy CD burners. Reading a proper ISO (on a drive that didn't choke to death because of the bad data) excluded that garbage.

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.
After reading a lot on both file types .mdf seems to be the better choice. It can work around copy protected CDs and contain multiple layers. And as you also mentioned SomeGuy, it can handle Audio Tracks.

If anyone prefer .ISO over .MDF I will appreciate to hear why.

Best Regards
Vifa

Back