• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson Equity lt-286, setup disk?

RaptorZX3

Experienced Member
My friend is looking for the setup disk (3.5" floppy) for his recently-acquired Epson Equity lt-286 portable computer. Does anyone have this? If so, if it possible to have a link to download it? thank you very much

Hi there Raptor ZX3,

I am looking for this very disk as well for my Epson Equity LT-286.

I already found a whole ftp source of reference disks at epsons italian server in the following paths.
ftp://ftp.epson.it/pub/es/compu/
ftp://ftp.epson.it/pub/it/pc/

Files with the prefix "rd-" are the so called reference disks for some epson models. Now its the job to find the right one!!!
I already tried a few, which resulted in "memory address error" at bootup. Then I have to drain the battery and wait untill the cmos is reset to default....

If you got some more info.. please let me know!!

Hi Raptor, still no advances. Im starting to ask around in some online dicussions. The most recent discussion ended at september last year. So do not expect much of it.

By the way.. If you could get a hand on a CMOS address map of the Equity LT286... We could use some universal CMOS tool to push the right bits, just to get the HDD going.

Next weekend ill try to download>edit>upload the CMOS with this tool.
http://mindprod.com/utility/cmossave.manual.html

If you scroll down to the CMOS map, the only bits we want to flip are at address 12h.. This address is checksummed, so it will be also necessary to recalculate the CMOS and put it back in address 2Eh-2Fh.

So hopefully this CMOS map is compatible with the Epson.

i have an EPSON EQUITY 286 portable computer with start up disc and several Microsoft Word discs for it...actually i am looking 2 sell it...i just registered with Vintage Computers...i don't know how 2 post a new post so i am sending u reply. I have no phone at moment but u could email me

Thursday May 8 2014
Hi I have an EPSON EQUITY 286 complete with Microsoft Startup disc Dos 3.3, several Microsoft Word discs I AM TRYING 2 SELL. I just registered with Vintage Computers and don't know how 2 post my own notice so I am sending reply 2 you. I have no phone right now but u can email me karen_mary_ostler@hotmail.com

I am looking 2 sell an EPSON EQUITY 286 portable computer complete with Startup disc and other Microsoft Word Discs in perfect condition.

can you upload the Startup disc somewhere and share the link here please? it would be very appreciated. You can upload on Mega.co.nz

Last edited:
I guess MayflowerN17 is referring with startupdisk to "Microsoft Startup disc Dos 3.3," in her previous post.... The thing we need is the "Epson Equity LT-286 reference disk"

By the I am very busy lately... so no time to experiment with any bios tool (yet)...

Im also searching for the Reference disk but no luck. Because of that, it is imposible to use the HDD and also he cannot regonize the additional memory installed. it only regonize 640kb and i have installed 4mb.

Hi Yukin, sorry for reading your message so late. It was rather bussy last 2 months at the office. I still couldnt get a hand on a copy of the Reference Disk. Did you manage to get one?

Dont worry Yukin,

from the italtian FTP server I was able to load the reference disk of a desktop pc, but they result in a bad crc check when booting.

Perhaps we could compare (compare to the desktop pc ram-bios I mean) and modify the original bios ram such that we could enable the HDD......... :)

Hopefully these HDD adresses are not in the crc checksum. But else I am also able to figure this out (someday :) )

Perhaps...Do you guys know any nice DOS tools to read back the bios adresses ??

no i don't know any tools for that.the issue also is not only to detect the HDD, it's to detect the additional Ram beyond 640k.

Hi everybody,

Got it!

To edit the Epson Equity LT-286 CMOS do the following:

1) Create a DOS boot floppy
2) Download GSETUP (version 3.0 2/88) here http://ibm-pc.org/utilities/system/GSETUP.zip . Note that other versions of GSETUP do not work!
3) Extract the file "GSETUP.EXE" to the root of the DOS boot floppy
4) Start your Epson Equity LT 286 with the DOS boot floppy
5) Execute GSETUP (might look a bit scrambled due to the wrong screen resolution)

Within GSETUP:
1) Choose "[1] Setup CMOS RAM Parameters"
2) Edit the following parameters:
Code:
       [0] Date: -
       [1] Time: -
       [2] Floppy Disk A: DS/HD 1.44m 3 1/2"
       [3] Floppy Disk B: Not installed
       [4] Hard Disk 1 (C:): Type 2
       [5] Hard Disk 2 (D:): Not installed
       [6] Base Memory: 640k
       [7] Expansion Memory: System dependent
       [8] Math Coprocessor: System dependent
       [9] Primary Display: Color/80
3) Press "escape" and choose "[4] Exit" to reboot your Laptop.
4) Enjoy

Kind regards,
Ruben Geurts

Back