• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A really simple to use & setup Server/Workstation based network...

Stone

10k Member
I found this with some old software I was looking through and had forgotten about. I think this is a great alternative to Interlnk/Intersrv and maybe even LapLink. In fact I just ran Norton Commander over it's network. :) It's much easier to use & setup up (5 minutes or less) than Interlnk/Intersrv, requires no Config.sys or Autoexec.bat editing and uses the machines' parallel ports to connect. (You need a parallel transfer cable -- it has a diagram of how make one in it's readme file.) It's called UNET II v2.2 and it's from Supa Corporation, 1992. I was unable to locate any information regarding this program in a search but I have it on disk and it works here. If there's any interest I'll post the DOC file from UNET II. It seems like it's just what the doctor ordered for getting files to and from a vintage computer or even running them over a network which it does as well.

Sounds interesting; how do you get it on to the client initially?
Don't know about "much easier to use and setup" though; takes less than 5 minutes to get Interlink installed and running...
Tell us more about the network; compatible with what?

The client is one file, 14,045 bytes.

The server is one file, 15,313 bytes.

It runs on DOS 3.3 or higher. I've just been running it on WIN98SE DOS.

It runs on a 5150 and up.

Server needs a HDD with 640Kb RAM.

Workstation needs a floppy drive.

Here's the README:

View attachment README.txt

It's a real network -- it understands and uses SHARE.

Looks nice, although you'd still need something like interlink to get the file(s) on the client initially if there's no compatible disk drive.

Looks like it doesn't tie up the server; not an issue if it's WIN98 but might be handy in some circumstances if it's DOS. Don't know how often you'd need SHARE with a PC/XT, but it could also come in handy.

And if it (unlike the MS-DOS NET client) unloads completely without rebooting then that's a big plus!

I should really dig out some of my old serial/parallel/netbios network software to see just what it did or didn't; I used it for >2 stations but some of it might also be useful for just two.

So, where's the .ZIP file?

Last edited:
>>...you'd still need something like interlink to get the file(s) on the client initially if there's no compatible disk drive.
>...And a serial (Null Modem) cable since this program only recognizes the parallel cable connection.

>>...you'd still need something like interlink to get the file(s) on the client initially if there's no compatible disk drive.
>...And a serial (Null Modem) cable since this program only recognizes the parallel cable connection.

Oh, OK. Doh. Thanks.

smp

...and the parallel connection on interlink (and LapLink) doesn't support remote installation.

Of course, most PCs, XTs, 286s, and 386s have a 5¼" or 3½" floppy drive. :)

Back