• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOSKEY - work under MS DOS 3.3?

twqwctf

I tried 'Enhanced DOSKEY' http://paulhoule.com/doskey/index.php
under MS DOS 3.3, it doesn't seem to be working.

I can load it - it says DOSKEY Loaded. But further functionality beyond this (like command-line history F7) and macros don't seem to be working at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments please?

Maybe you can try an earlier DOSKEY style program? PC Magazine had one from 1987 called DOSKEY which would work on DOS 3.3.

You probably have to look at the source code to find any functions that are not supported under DOS 3.3 and replace them with older equivalents.

As I recall, Microsoft's own DOSKEY was first included in MS-DOS 5.0. So the first thing I'd ask about this "Enhanced DOSKEY" is, does this in any way depend on (MS) DOSKEY – or on any other feature only present in MS-DOS 5.0 or greater? This seems not unlikely, given that your "Enhanced DOSKEY" is described as a "drop-in replacement for the DOSKEY.COM that ships with MS-DOS". I did not however find any mention of system requirements anywhere on the page you linked.

yeah this "Enhanced DOSKEY" thing doesn't mention requirements..

I created a bootable DOS 5.0 floppy that I verified works on my Pentium I computer. But the thing will not boot on my Toshiba T3100e/40. No idea why. Get msg 'non system disk'.
EDIT: maybe I have to create a bootable 3.5 floppy on the 720k DD (double density) variety only..... ? The disk here is I used is a HD (high den)

Last edited:
Yeah, the T3100 only has a 720kB floppy drive. Cover the HD hole with tape and format a 720kB boot floppy. Formatting HD disks for use as DD isn't necessarily good for long service but generally suffices for a quick test.

While no requirements are listed, the last version of Enhanced DOSKEY is listed as being tested under DOS 6.22 and Win 9x.

Last edited:
well the T3100e can certainly read 1.44 HD floppies. I think it's a limitation perhaps on booting only. I will try it tomorrow I think. thanks again guys for all the replies :)

from manual "The floppy disk drive (FDD) can
support 2DD (720 Kbytes) and 2HD (1.44 Mbytes) floppy disks. "

I am not positive but this DOSKEY relies on INT 2F AX=4810 to read the command line which is only available in DOS 5 and later.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but In case anyone else happens across this thread the following helped me with getting a 'DOSKEY' running under DOS 3.31.

PC Magazine had one from 1987 called DOSKEY which would work on DOS 3.3.
Thanks for the heads up krebizfan. I managed to find the PCMag example on the Sep 15 1987/Volume 6 #15 disk (http://cd.textfiles.com/simtelctc/di.../VOL6N15.ZIP;1).

When loaded it doesn't display any messages unlike the official MS version, but it does the up-arrow command history I was after. Also apparently supports macros but I've never used those.

Back