• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Loading and unloading drivers for windows (3.11)

NeXT

Veteran Member
I have a 386 box that I'm running DOS and Windows tasks on. on the DOS side there's mtcp and the network card packet driver. On the Windows side it has its fluff and its TCP/IP stack. Both can't be running at the same time. I know you can load and unload drivers when windows starts and exits but I'm not sure how to do that. I mean, it will interrupt any connections when I do it but it means that I have networking both under DOS and Windows without shuffling stuff around in autoexec.bat. Anyone have any pointers on how this works?

Check this out. It means you have to re-boot to change configurations, but it is a whole lot better than modifying your config.sys and autoexec.bat each time or booting from floppy. I use it on my win3.11 machine and my win98 machine as well as my 5155 which is DOS.

This machine runs 6.22 as it's a 386 with a lot of ram.

Really all that needs to happen in a nutshell is to issue NET START when you start 3.11 and run NET STOP when you exit. I could start and stop the other Windows services and the packet driver but mTCP doesn't seem to care so long as you have not already issued NET START.

On my 286 I use vanilla windows 3.1 with the winpacket shim using Trumpet winsock for the Windows tcp/ip services. Doesn't seem to have any effect on mtcp suite on exit at all. An interesting is it runs at least as quick as Wfw 3.11 on my 386DX25.

Back