• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Error Starting Networking in DOS 6.22

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Installed the MS Network Client 3.0 for DOS into my DOS 6.22 machine.

Installation seemed to go fine, install found my network card (Intel Etherexpress 16 LAN Adapter), TCP/IP Protocol was added, Networking Start Info is setup in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

On restart, the system does the net start command successfully, but next step is to load tcptsr.exe / tinyrfc.exe / emsbfr.exe. When trying to load these I am getting the:

net0111 error accessing nemm.dos

It will fail loading the .exe's from there, hit Enter, then it finishes loading to the DOS Prompt.

I read around and a couple places mentioned updating the driver for the NIC Card (I am using the one that comes with the MS Network Client). I downloaded several versions of the EXP16.dos driver file and tried to load it into the MS Network Client setup to use in place of the driver the Client has built-in. But all places I have downloaded the driver from dont have an .inf file with them, so when I point the Client setup to the folder the Intel Driver is in, it says no driver file was found there...

1. Am I doing something wrong?

2. If its the driver, does anyone have the full driver package?

3. Do I need to do something else?

The nemm.dos file is in the DOS\NET folder so I dont see how it couldnt access it...so not thinking the file is the issue.

Yes, its all there...

Like I said, I have read others getting this error due to older driver version...not sure if that applies here or not.

Check the file attributes on the file nemm.dos and the directory that it resides in. If they are "read only" that could cause problems if MS Network Client needs to write to them.

PS. I use that same NIC on all of my dos machines with MS Network Client and have not had trouble. However, I don't use tcp/ip on the machines that are less than 486 processor. The one machine with the 486 runs Win 3.11 for workgroups and I believe that handles tcp/ip in windows. On the older machines I use the NetBeui protocol, but that means that they can't talk to any thing newer than Win XP. Also, it might be helpful if we could get a look at your config.sys and autoexec.bat

Last edited:
I am gonna try some of the things you said (checking the files) and checking my path....once I verify that I will post my files....

Thanks for the advice.

Back