• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone interested in a 3rd + 4th floppy driver for DOS?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
While cleaning out some corners of my office, I came across a circa-1996 diskette from Wonder Systems. I thought it might be interesting to someone.

It's an installer and several versions of WONDER34.SYS. This is a driver that installs BIOS support for a 3rd and 4th floppy drive on a system (I think) with a controller that supports more than 2 floppies but doesn't have BIOS support. It may also support secondary controllers; I haven't looked at it carefully.

The name brought up memories of Tulin's FLOPPY34.SYS. I think this is an upgraded form--quite probably from the same guy who wrote the Tulin product.

Anyone with the required hardware interested in looking at it?

Lots of interesting stuff that I'd completely forgotten about, like about 1000 (I'm not exaggerating) Sony 3.5" diskette labels. More CP/M sample floppies from unusual systems that quite frankly, I've never heard mentioned but once....

I've got a 4-drive 16-bit ISA controller in one of my test systems, I'd be interested in trying it.

All,

Please PM me and I'll email you a link to the image.

I just wanted to say thanks again for the software. I tried out the wonder34 disk and it does seem to be identical to the DC2.SYS software that is described on John Elliot's Page. The installer creates the same exact config.sys entries he describes but with wonder34.sys instead of DC2.SYS.

It does only allows you to load the 3rd and 4th floppy and won't help you with any more than that, but having 4 working floppies is great!

I looked at the file with IDA and it gave the version as: "WONDER SYSTEMS FLOPPY SOFTWARE DRIVER Ver. 1.06B - Copyright 1990". Maybe there is an upgrade out there somewhere.

I still think the SUNIX SDRIVE.SYS is a bit better, but truthfully they both do the exact same thing. I still have some misdirected hope I can get the SUNIX driver to work with drives F,G,H,I. haha!

I would love to have this!

We built our 486 back in the day with a 4 floppy controller that used the tulin driver and it ran into a conflict at some point with something and we had to buy a newer version. We also bought a Mr. Bios bios chip with native 4 floppy support, but it would make the 3rd and 4th floppy c: and d: and that too was a conflict so we went back to using the Tulin driver, but always wanted better. I guess this was the driver we were looking for!

I tried out the wonder34 disk and it does seem to be identical to the DC2.SYS software that is described on John Elliot's Page.

Cou;d you give me an URL where to download one of these, please? Google only gave me results mentioning other people looking for it but no URL.

Theanks in advance!

Back