• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.1 and DHCP

Xacalite

Veteran Member
I'm playing with Windows 3.1 and TCP/IP - works OK with Trumpet Winsock 3.0, but requires manual IP address setup, there's also "bootp" option but doesn't work with DHCP server.

So, the question: anybody can recommend some TCP/IP package for Windows 3.1 (regular, not "for Workgroups" or 3.11) with DHCP client?

Are you using Ethernet or dial-up?

Usually the DHCP client has to be built in to the TCP/IP stack. You could use the Microsoft Networking ("lan manager") client for DOS instead.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some very early DHCP clients may choke to death talking to modern DHCP servers, which would nessitate a different DHCP server as well.

The other day I was working on my IBM PS/2 Model 90 desktop running WFW + TCP add-on from MS (installing the cache module for the 486 CPU and replacing the Ethernet card with one that had RJ45) and I connected Ethernet to a 1000GB port on my switch and it worked with DHCP. The router is a brand new model with GB ethernet and Wireless G,N,AC.

Any particular reason you don't want to use WfW?
I just want to experiment with Windows 3.1 and third-party TCP/IP products...

Whats wrong with having a static IP address?
DHCP is more convenient. Yes, I got pretty lazy recently :D

Are you using Ethernet or dial-up?
Ethernet.

Usually the DHCP client has to be built in to the TCP/IP stack. You could use the Microsoft Networking ("lan manager") client for DOS instead.
But this client only provides access for file and printer services, doesn't it?
I want to use typical TCP/IP software, like web browsers.

Anyway, I found a temporary solution - Linux dhcpd can be configured to support bootp clients as well, so Trumpet Winsock can obtain IP address automatically.
But I'm still looking for other TCP/IP software.

Windows 3.x browsers are pretty terrible on the modern internet. You'll have better luck running arache in dos.
On a 286 - yes, probably.
But on a 386+, there are browsers like Netscape 4.08 for Windows 3.1, definitely more advanced than Arachne.

BTW: I tried Trumpet and Netscape 0.91 on Windows 3.0, but neither would run.
I guess no networking for Windows before 3.1...

Back