• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please help me get dos cd drivers working right in my Gateway 486

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I apologize that I just can't ever remember how to do Dos commands and tinkering in autoexec.bat and config.sys. I've put this project off for a few months due to it being stressful. I've tried several Dos cd drivers and none of them are working and I can't remember how to type the right stuff in my autoexec and config files. Every system I work on appears to be different, as not all cd drives work with all drivers it seems. Sorry I have to ask this same question in the future for a different system. The system i'm working on now is a Gateway 2000 4SX-33 slimline 486 desktop. It has a 4x cd drive attached directly to one of the motherboard's IDE ports. What is a good cd driver you think will work with my system? I'd really prefer a driver that automatically configures my system without me typing in anything. I've tried the Goldstar CD driver and even the oak cd driver, but it wouldn't let me change to drive D, but there are lines pertaining to drive D in my system files...

Thanks for any help on this.

The Oak driver is considered to be quite universal. Here's how I use it:

in Autoexec.bat:

c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

in Config.sys:

device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

The Oak driver is considered to be quite universal. Here's how I use it:

in Autoexec.bat:

c:\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

in Config.sys:

device=c:\oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

So, it turned out the auto install of my oakcdrom driver did not type anything in my autoexec.bat for me, but did type in my config.sys. Heres what I got now, I had to modify it a bit cause the installer typed it a little differently in my config.sys. I only had to make changes in my autoexec.bat. I changed lastdrive from E to Z, if that's ok.

config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,40800 =C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

autoexec.bat:

LH /L:0 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

I typed my edit in lowercase as you can see. Everything else is in all caps except for PROMPT $p$g. Now I can access drive D! Do you see any errors in my system files? Thanks your help. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back