• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Graphics Software from old books

TheGrue

Good afternoon! I collect older computer books and software. I recently purchased a used copy of Steve Rimmer's "Graphical User Interface Programming" to add to my collection which includes a couple other titles by this author:

"Bit-Mapped Graphics"
"Super VGA Graphics Programming Secrets"

The books have optional software disks available and I would like to have copies of these if they are available. I reached out to the author and found out that he and his company (Alchemy Mindworks) have even lost the software over time. Apparently, this has been a common ask of them this year and they stated they would be happy to share this if they had it available. So, after some back and forth, we agreed that if I were to find copies of the software, I will send them copies so they have them available on-hand in case more folks ask.

So, what I am looking for is the accompanying disks that go with the "Graphical User Interface Programming" book and the "Bit-Mapped Graphics" book. I already have the disk for the other book. Anybody out there have copies of these disks or the software that would have come on them? If so, would you mind sharing a copy? I'll make sure a copy gets sent to Alchemy Mindworks as well. I'll be shipping a copy of the one I already have once I get a chance to rip it.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jim

I think I may have this one:

"Super VGA Graphics Programming Secrets"

the software that is. IIRC the book centered around a game similar to Lode Runner, but with a chick running her head off. I know I have the disks to a Rimmer book. Not positive which one it is, but I'm thinking it's that one.

If you don't hear from me in 3 - 7 days remind me via PM. And keep the reminders coming, as necessary :). I'm busy as hell right now, but it shouldn't take very long to find it.

Have you accumulated any disks/software belonging to old books? I'm something of a collector myself. Always need to fill in gaps.

Yeah, that's the book I have the disk for. Alice in Technoland is the name of the game you build in the book.

Let me know if you have any specific titles missing media and I'll check my stacks. I probably have around 2000 computer books in my library and several older ones with or without the media. I'll ping you on PM as you mentioned and we can trade notes.

Jim

I have small handful of book disks archived:

Undocumented PC, The book diskette (1994)(Frank Van Billuwe, Addison Wesley) [Programming].zip
Undocumented DOS, 2nd edition book diskette (1993)(Andrew Schulman, Addison Wesley) [Programming].zip
Dissecting DOS book diskette (1995)(Michael Podanoffsky, Addison Wesley) [Programming].zip
Zen of Graphics Programming book diskette (1995)(Michael Abrash, The Coriolis Group) [Programming].zip
Microsoft Macro Assembler 6.1 Programming book diskette (1993)(Len Dortman, Marc J. Neuberger) [Programming].zip

Drop me a PM if you're interested in any/all.

I'm going to look for the disk files tonight.

Don't rule out quick and dirty "scanning" of whatever older books you have. That Rimmer book, hard cover iirc, would probably take 30 minutes or less with a digital camera. 10mpix +/- is fine. I've probably scanned over 100 books that way.

Ok reread the op. You don't need it. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Back