• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Flash Disk ISA Card with IBM XT 5160

mt777

Experienced Member
"using modern PC."

That's probably the cause--the CHS geometry perceived by the modern system is likely different than that seen by the PC. What does FDISK say on the PC? You may have to re-partition the drive on the PC and start all over.

I uploaded additional photo.

I run diagnostic program (under XT) and looks like that card needs high memory area which is not present in xt?

Your pictures are not helpful because it's impossible to see what jumpers are on what pins due to the angle.

XTs don't normally have RAM in high areas, that's what the card provides. You need to double-check that the card you're inserting is not set to a memory area already used in the XT. You probably have an address conflict and need to change the card's address range by changing jumpers. You should know what addresses are already in use in the XT you're putting it in.

Okay, and what address is your VGA card's ROM sitting at? It's probably C800 or C000, so maybe you should rejumper your flash card to a Dxxx range.

Do you have CARDTEST? If so, what does it say?

Have you tried relocating the card to a different slot?

on another 486 machine - boots properly. I checked all jumper (address) combinations.
It looks like the card doesn't have own memory (on 286 with 512K base memory also doesnt run).

I put 256k chips in banks 2&3 and GAL16V8 into U44 (U44V2M). After that FDSetup reports about `Parity Error 1` and halts the program.
I checked quickly drams using tester and should work properly.

No, that creates a conflict. If the board were truly PC/XT compatible as it says, it wouldn't need that since 1% of XT-era systems have that. You're confusing "needing memory" with "needing a memory window area". The board produces its own memory at the address specified by the jumpers.

Indeed is something wrong with this card and looks like is XT incompatible. I tried also with TurboXT board and no luck.

Back