• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS 6.22 bypass menuitems limit

mt777

Experienced Member
I have old IBM laptop and created various configurations (pcmcia soundcards, external cd, floppy etc).
9 items limit is a bit bad in this case.
Are there any other solutions?

Finally can make scripts and run them manually but some graphical solution would be perfect.

Back in the 90's a local hospital wanted me to configure their PCs to run a network called "Little Big Lan" across a combination of LPT, serial, Ethernet, and Arcnet ports. They also wanted to be able to use the serial ports for modem/fax cards. To make matters worse the computers also needed to connect to the IBM mainframe through a dedicated ISA card. This was before DOS menus were a thing.

My solution.

I wrote individual CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files for each scenario. I then created a batch menu that allowed the user to choose the environment they wished to work in. Once chosen, the batch file would copy the appropriate CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to the root of the hard drive and then reboot the system.

I simply named the batch file MENU.BAT and placed it in the path. The user could type MENU at any point to reboot into another scenario. I placed the various CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files into a subdir called CONFIGS. Worked really well.

Nice, I didn't know that TreeView is possible :)

@kc8eyt also clever idea but if native submenu works then firstly will try it

While 9 is an arbitrary limit that probably didn't need to be a limit, I have to ask why you feel you need more than 9 entries. It's ok to load more than one driver or TSR at a time, you don't need to load only one...

Currently have a few soundcards, parallel cdrom, scsi cdrom, backpack floppy, compact flash disk and more. Do you suggest that should try load them all at once ? :)

Submenu solved problem

Back